S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup 4.3L 6Cyl. When I turn on the AC, its sort of cold when the truck is not moving or moving slow. I only really get cold AC when on the highway or such. I tried one of those A/C recharge bottles but the gauge seemed to detect normal pressure, so that should rule out a leak. What could be the problem?

·
Been there Done it
12,457 Posts
Air flow thru the condenser is the problem. That air is what cools the refrigerant.
Is your engine fan working correctly? The fluid coupling can go bad and it not turn fast enough when needed.
Is your shroud all there and in the correct position?
Is there any dirt and debris build up on the front of the condenser or between it and the radiator?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your shroud all there and in the correct position?
I'm installing a new fan shroud but there's this plastic part with 3 slots that the lower fan shroud clips into. The middle slot is broken. I can't find a name for this broken part online. I think I may have to remove the radiator if I were to replace this part. :(
Shoe Automotive tire Hood Light Black

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm installing a new fan shroud but there's this plastic part with 3 slots that the lower fan shroud clips into. The middle slot is broken. I can't find a name for this broken part online. I think I may have to remove the radiator if I were to replace this part. :( View attachment 352445 UOTE]

im also going through a major change and
I'm installing a new fan shroud but there's this plastic part with 3 slots that the lower fan shroud clips into. The middle slot is broken. I can't find a name for this broken part online. I think I may have to remove the radiator if I were to replace this part. :( View attachment 352445
As I’m going through some similar scenerios , and a few quirks I’m working out … I would suggest putting a Real gauge set on the hi and low side lines check static pressure
“Engine and air Off” and then running max ac on pressures . You could have a hi side restriction if the evap exp orfice tube is clogged up . Or even the evap can get dirty. Old ones also leak.
I just changed all 3 And get ice cold air while idle and driving .
As mentioned by someone else the condenser fins could be dirty . All in all 300$ worth of replacement parts is a nice fix. The Evap , accumulator, condenser are easy . That’s if you change the parts yourself .
Only real expensive part is a new ac pump.
I went through the same symptoms you talk about . When I changed the evap accumulator and orifice tube. I had ice cold continual air flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts