S-10 Forum banner

01 crew cab 4x4 s10

949 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  oldeerslayer 
#1 ·
I have a 01 s10 crew cab 4x4 bought a 5.3 engine transmission and transfer case out of 01 Silverado it is dbc I’ve read in several places that the zr2 frame is wider but not sure about mine witch I believe is a zr5 trying to figure out what engine mounts I need. Thanks in advance for any help and or advice.

#2 ·
ZR2 is an off road package that includes some changes to the frame width causing motor mounts to be in a different location than a standard 4wd.
The ZR5 is a bling package. Nothing in the package is for off road use. No difference in the frame from any other standard 4wd. You just need S10 4wd LS motor mounts. The ZR2 package was never put on the crew cabs.
I think you'll find keeping your present transfer case a lot less trouble than adapting the S10 to accept a full size truck TC. The oil pan is going to be expensive for fitting an LS in with the front differential. The Milodon 31083 pan and oil pump pickup tube is >$600 not including the remote filter kit. I believe there are few cheaper ones out there, but the oil pan and pump tube are no place to be pinching pennies.
An LS into a 4wd crewcab is a big, pricey, time consuming swap. Probably $6K ad 6 months bare minimum. I have an 02 crewcab and yes they are doggey because of their weight (4000 lbs +). If I do swap mine I'm going with a SBC L31 to save both time and money since it will never be fast.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info I was under the impression that the frame was wider. Rough country told me it was wider when I tried to find a 6” lift kit a few years ago said they didn’t offer anything that would fit the crew cab. Not sure on the pan yet I have read in other threads that the factory pan will work with a small front diff. Drop which I’ve already done guess it’ll tell on it’s self when I test fit it if it won’t clear.

#4 · (Edited)
Seriously doubt a small drop in the location of the front differential will help any.
If I knew Photoshop better I would have made them the same size and overlayed them.
The problem is forward to rearward location of the differential and the fact LS engines have a deeper bearing cap depth for the horizontal main cap bolts. That's even an issue in the 2wd trucks. The older 1st gen SBC could use a stock pan in a 2wd swap.
4wd's always needed swap pans. Back in the day when the pans were tin you could make your own by sectioning a 4.3 4wd pan rear half and a V8 front half.
You can cut and mod the aluminum one if you are equipped to weld aluminum. It does take a bunch of welds, tho.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Automotive exterior

#5 ·
Yes I done the 350 swap in my 82 2wd s10 but the 5.3 is a whole new ball game wish someone offered the 6” suspension lift for the crew cab that would fix a lot of the issues thanks for the help I guess I need to get the mounts ordered first thing.

#9 ·
I say do a Zr2 frame swap. It's not terribly difficult i have a thread on here. The rear cab mounts need to be swapped, build some front bed mounts, and use the crew cab fuel tank with the ZR2 skid plate. If you have the ability, i say go for it. Also, as others will mention, look at the frames near the lower control arms, not uncommon to have stress cracks. Also, i am swapping a 5.3/nv3500/ np231 t-case. I have an RC 2.5" lift, and with cpw motor mounts, i believe that an h3 hummer pan might work. I am using the stock pan, so i had to cut, but not as much as i could have had to if not for the diff drop. You would also drop the pan more on the rear mount, which could help with the pan also.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
As far as it goes, and even knowing you have already bought the LS package, oldeerslayer is correct, the conventional small block swap is easier, quicker, and cheaper. You can almost buy a complete kit to swap in the conventional small block for what an oil pan for the LS costs. And as long as you're not going to get crazy with power, tire size, or abuse, you can build your original transmission to work, and the original transfer case will be okay as well. As he said, if I swap one of mine, it will be to a conventional small block, I can build a nice small block short block to go under a Vortec top end, and buy the kit to do it.

#15 ·
A quick search here will lead you to people who have done the 6" lift from Rough Country on a crew cab. Honestly, if you search the Rough Country site, you will see there are crew cabs with the 6" lift all over their site. We'll probably lift both of ours.
I’ve seen the pictures of the crew cabs on the rough country website but in the description it says will not fit crew cab I even called them about it and they claim it will not work but can’t give me a reason or tell me what parts would be different so unfortunately I bit the bullet and bought the Milodon pan around $1000 for everything that goes with the pan pick up tube, bolts, and filter relocation kit. It sucks to have that much money in the pan but you gotta have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.