S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to know? I’m looking for info on the things that aren’t obvious. Everything on both trucks is factory. I’m considering using the’98 4cyl rear. ‘96 4.3 is a W code.

·
Been there Done it
12,420 Posts
I gather you are trying to put a 96 4.3 engine and trans into a 98 truck that was a 2.2 automatic.
Fortunately the 96 and 98 W 4.3 engines are nearly identical. But that's about the only thing that is the same. The easiest thing to do would be find a 98 4.3 underhood electrical harness. The 96 harness won't work because GM completely redid the wiring in 98. The 2.2 PCM is completely different. You'll also find it easier if you use a 98 4.3 radiator and support. You'll also need a 98 4.3 4L60E because they are different than the 96-97. The 98 4.3 PCM will try to make the 96 trans do things it wasn't built for. The EC3 torque converter lockup procedure was 98 up. It's a program in the 98 computer that the 96 trans can't do. Check with a transmission guy. You might be able to simply switch the TC for the later carbon clutch converter. I suspect the valve body is also different in which case you'd need the whole trans and TC.
Might end up less expensive and time consuming to simply buy a 98+ truck with a 4.3. It'll have the correct springs and rear gearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I switch the 98 wiring harness etc. for the 96? Just basically making it a body swap. The 96 is a super clean roll-over and the 98 is a 3door with a blown head gasket and the pistons have stuck. I was in the process of replacing the head gasket when that was discovered. Just wanted to make a good replacement work truck for my worn out 95. Thanks for your help and anymore that you can think of. (I told my dad that you would probably be the one that would have answers for me)👍🏻

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,343 Posts
If you were to move all the interior and wiring from the 96 over to the 98 you would not have the issues listed above... but you would have a hard time later trying to sell a truck that is supposed to have the updated interior. If that isn't a care then strip the cab to empty and move all the wiring over. The lighting in the front will take some mods but not too much. The 96 ABS unit would also need to be moved as the 96 computer wont know how to talk to the 98 unit. It will be a ton of work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were to move all the interior and wiring from the 96 over to the 98 you would not have the issues listed above... but you would have a hard time later trying to sell a truck that is supposed to have the updated interior. If that isn't a care then strip the cab to empty and move all the wiring over. The lighting in the front will take some mods but not too much. The 96 ABS unit would also need to be moved as the 96 computer wont know how to talk to the 98 unit. It will be a ton of work!
What I’m thinking about is basically a sheet metal swap. The 96 is a very nice rollover and the 98 can supply the body. I guess I’ll just need to swap all of the wiring from the 96.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,316 Posts
The firewall interior components are different between 96-98.

·
time to get cereal
5,617 Posts
Easiest thing would be to get a 98-03 2.2L out of another S10 or Cavalier/Sunfire. They can be had cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easiest thing would be to get a 98-03 2.2L out of another S10 or Cavalier/Sunfire. They can be had cheap.
You’re probably correct, I just would have liked to had that 4.3 in it. It’s going to be replacing my work truck that I pull a small trailer with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts