S-10 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 189 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Spent 8 hours today cleaning up the garage. Got a bit left to organize but I knew I had been putting it off for too long. It’s hard living this first gen life. Poor S10 is on the back burner lately.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Cloud

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Grey Automotive design Font Handwriting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Was the original glass shaded?
I've seen them both ways - clear and shade upper glass - , but the shade option is a bonus.
IIRC, the A/C cars came with the shaded glass option.
The original windshield on this A/C car was clear. The side glass was tinted, I believe all the giant back glass on the first gen Barracuda’s were tinted due to it being a greenhouse back there. I went with a tinted replacement windshield.

·
Boozebag
9,921 Posts
^^^ Good move. It looks really good.
I've never been a fan of the clear windshield replacements, although I don't think they make clear shields any more.
I've replaced a lot of windshields and they all came tinted/shaded.

I'm guessing this rig came with a 273 (?)
For originality I guess that would be best to numbers match.

A Trans Am 'Cuda 340 six pack would look out of control under the hood.
Too bad they are so rare and $$$

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm guessing this rig came with a 273 (?)
For originality I guess that would be best to numbers match.

A Trans Am 'Cuda 340 six pack would look out of control under the hood.
Too bad they are so rare and $$$
It was a 273 2BBL, 904 automatic console shift, factory a/c, 2.76 geared 7.25” sure grip rear with 10” drum brakes all around.

This sure isn’t a numbers matching car, more like nothing’s matching. 😆

A carb converted Magnum 360, a Fury 727, Exploder (Mountaineer) 8.8“ 3.73 LSD rear, Mustang rims and hood scoop...

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Pulled out the trim from the interior, seems like it was all there. Found all the headliner bows and even the one year only trunk spring rod in good working order. I plan on tackling the spare section trunk patch then the floor boards. I polished up the rear seat latch/cargo bar, it turned out fairly well considering what it was. Might try to fashion a rear trunk divider out of starboard. Got plenty to do now. Sorting, prepping and painting the interior trim metal is high up on the list. I retro fitted a voltmeter to replace the ammeter and now need to retrofit the tach.
Road surface Asphalt Font Eyewear Gauge

Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Speedometer Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gauge

Gauge Wood Handwriting Measuring instrument Font

Gauge Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Wood Material property Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Tool Hand tool Household hardware Wood Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor

Road surface Asphalt Wood Line Tar

Bumper Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Composite material

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
The wood grain finish had worn smooth a long time ago and mold spots started showing on the plastic which was more of a purplish brown nowadays. I’ll miss the look of the metal center section all around the wheel, but I like the color of the leather cover. My baseball stitching is getting better. Well worth the $14 spent.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Speedometer

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Rim Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Door Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Wood Couch Floor Flooring

Wheel Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Table Furniture Wood Kitchen utensil Steering wheel

Wood Floor Plant Gas Houseplant

Table Furniture Plant Window Picture frame

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Wood Table

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Found the squirrels’ nest; acorns, bedding, and oak leaves. Apparently the geckos have moved the nursery from my garage to the backseat of the Barracuda. Now the floorboard fun begins. Someone did paint it with Por-15 around the roof, back section and near the rockers. Shame they didn’t do the entire floor. It looks like it may have already been gone.
Automotive tire Road surface Bumper Asphalt Motor vehicle

Rectangle Vegetation Groundcover Grass Tints and shades

Hand Wood Gesture Thumb Metal

Hand Plant Wood Gesture Finger

Road surface Asphalt Floor Composite material Gas

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Water Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
At least the metal is solid past the floor pans. Bonus, the left rear pan is just surface rust and solid. I’ll just have to plug weld the hole put in for the “racing” exhaust hanger bolt. Right passenger needs replacing though.

I found some early pics from when I first got It I’ll throw in to make myself feel extra accomplished.

Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood Concrete

Gas Pollution Automotive tire Grass Wood

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Composite material

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Tints and shades

Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
About 90% done with the driver floor pan. Too hot and humid to work in the oven of a car. I did sort my trim and was surprised how many duplicate pieces I’ve wound up with. I’m missing my “PLTMOUTH” (the Y was missing) trunk letters and a front passenger arm rest. Going to have to dig through my bins to find those again. The trim polished nicely, even the bad side is looking pretty spiffy.

Road surface Asphalt Tool Wood Table

Wood Rectangle Grey Hood Cutlery

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

41,968 Posts
Even if I don't reply every time I visit your threads I'm glad you take the time to take me/us along for the journey. It not being an s10 it's not like you have to bother if you didn't want to.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Even if I don't reply every time I visit your threads I'm glad you take the time to take me/us along for the journey. It not being an s10 it's not like you have to bother if you didn't want to.
Thanks man! I post it here because my dad showed me how to do all this stuff building V8 S10’s... They’ll always be synonymous with hot rodding to me. No reply’s doesn’t bother me, this helps me document my progress and when I feel like there’s light years to go, I go back to page one and get myself motivated again seeing how far along I’ve gotten. I also go on post binges, then lay low for a while.

Found the trunk letters and passenger side “Barracuda” emblems. “U” was missing from the get go. “M” is wonky, I’ll blame the ‘65 lid. I found one “V EIGHT” emblem and 4 acorn nuts. I think I’ll by a matching ‘66 era emblem and scrap the 90’s “V8 MAGNUM” emblems I got off a Van.

Grey Font Material property Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille

And 30 years ago where this hobby started, 14 years old my Dad having me help him build a 425 hp ‘72 LT-1 350 mated to a Turbo 350 into an S10. It was supposed to be my first vehicle, but my Dad wisely sold it to his buddy after he got it sideways at 55mph getting on it.

Car Plant Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I like the old V Eight emblems. Is your pop still with us?
Yeah, he’s had some health issues past couple years but he‘s doing well living out in the middle of nowhere in Illinois. He enjoys chiming in on my FB posts with tips and stories of the cars he had. (When he was younger my Mom quit counting how many cars he had in his name after 200 before he turned 30.) He was a horse trader and flipped cars as long as I can remember. He’s posted up some old pics of the rides he used to have, it is pretty impressive. If my Mom didn’t vouch for him I never would have believed it. Her favorite was the ‘72 Chevelle 454 SS they bought in Tampa in 1974. His favorite was the ‘73 Maverick he bought new and after a week swapped out the ‘70 302 Boss Mustang he also owned’s drivetrain. 454 Vega’s, I got dropped off at school in a ‘68 Gran Torino Fastback and a ‘71 Z/28. He also bought the ‘67 Firebird when I was in first grade... We had our differences and outs, but working on and talking about cars are my fondest times with my Dad.

My son is going to be 14 next year and I think I’m going to pick up a 302 Ford to build with him, since I’ve never worked on a V8 Ford. I think a ‘68 Mercury Cougar would be cool to build next.

41,968 Posts
My pops is no longer with us unfortunately. As I suspected after seeing your interests here and hearing a little bit about your dad we all have a lot in common.

I love those Cougars. Back when I was about 9 or 10 dad's friend had a triple black 427 Cougar Eliminator. I specifically remember feeling like a superhero riding around in that thing. I remember being mystified by the sequential turn signals too.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I love those Cougars. Back when I was about 9 or 10 dad's friend had a triple black 427 Cougar Eliminator.
Lol, my Dad just posted this yesterday saying it was just sitting there rusting away. I asked if it was a ‘69 or ‘70, he was guessing ‘70 but he didn’t see the front.

Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle Wheel

·
Head Lifeguard
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Working on the interior panels and steering column. Shortened the end sticking out the firewall for exhaust manifold clearance. Carpet came in, helped motivate me to get some stuff done. Most of the bright work inside polished up better than expected. Going to paint the pieces satin black to match the dash. Black perforated headliner on its way along with trunk letters I scored on a bid for cheap. Little by little...

Natural material Wood Twig Sand Fashion accessory

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

Finger Thumb Electric blue Nickel Nail

Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Antique tool Gas

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Grille

Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle Wood Composite material

121 - 140 of 189 Posts