S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 221 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Side project, I’ve stayed in my neighbors good graces by helping them out with getting generators running during hurricane season and fixing flats and minor vehicle issues they have. (Leaking fuel lines on RV, replacing Shrader valves, installing new retaining collar on truck steering column, etc.)

One of the coolest things I was able to do was get my neighbor‘s 1967 Vespa Sprint running. It sat for 2 years in the garage before I rebuilt the carburetor on it January of last year. He finally sold it today. Yesterday I gave it an inspection and test drove it, and today I went on a demo run for the new owner. Horn contacts need to be cleaned, but everything is in great working order and all original except rebuilt carb, recovered seats, and upgraded 12 volt system. The 150cc 7.7hp 2 stroke had a bit more pull than I expected going through all four fears. It was a blast getting to ride it.

Guy that bought it lives down the road and is an airplane mechanic at MCO (Orlando), and grew up in Italy so it’s going to someone who appreciates it and will keep it in good working order.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Nice new project Dood!
Looks like you learned a little (!!) from the Firebird resto. Ha...
How is the underside of this rig? Hopefully not too rusty.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Back in the day, I thought the Vespas were gay (I rode a Honda 305 Scrambler) but now I would love to have one as nice as that one. It would be fun for quick trips to the store.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice new project Dood!
Looks like you learned a little (!!) from the Firebird resto. Ha...
How is the underside of this rig? Hopefully not too rusty.
Yeah, skill set is ever expounding. The floor pans were shot on the foot wells, the driver’s being the worst. Good news is the rockers and front frame were all solid still, and my new pans cover to where the solid parts of the floor remain. Need to get a patch for the spare tire base in the trunk, outside of it the trunk is solid.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Nice work! Want to paint my 57 Belair? ?

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I mocked up the Mountaineer rear end (8.8 disc 3.73 limited slip), need to weld new perches and adjust the pinion angle. Got the driver side disc assembly on. Kind of looks like a gasser with no drivetrain weighing the front down. Ran out of daylight today.

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Looking good with the wheels actually bolted on!

Reactions: Bennsb

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I lucked out, another guy has a ‘65 and with these wheels it is perfect. The 235’s tuck up into the wheel wells and I have just about 1/2” on either side between the sidewalls and fender lip and leaf spring respectively. The Mountaineer had cool trailing arms that I grabbed along with the mounts. I might be able to reverse them (pointing rearward) and use them to keep the axle tubes from twisting.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Removed the passenger drum assembly, waiting on lower ball joint for the disc assembly. Got fender down to metal and coated in primer.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
“Vanilla Milkshake” from UreKem paints. It’s an off white, similar to Wimbledon White. I was impressed how the paint turned out on the Firebird so I ordered from them again. One of the guys who started it worked for House of Kolor. Stuff lays on nice.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Another winner!
You already know how it's going to turn out...
Good thing you have the white. You don't have to worry about any paint mismatch as you do a part at a time.

What are you doing about the 8.8 axle tube offset?
IIRC, the passenger tube is longer than the driver side (?)

The wheels make the car. Looks excellent.

21 - 40 of 221 Posts