S-10 Forum banner
281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 · (Edited)
The joy of hot rodding, fix one problem to create another. I can lift up the motor 3/4” hopefully that will give me room for the steering box fitting. Got one upper arm in, the old ball joints didn’t want to budge and ate up a ton of time. Oh well, progress is progress.

Car Automotive parking light Cloud Sky Tire

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Asphalt

Blue Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Insect Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Fender

Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part Plumbing Gas

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim Fender

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 · (Edited)
Watched the Chrysler Master Tech - 1960 Volume 13-2 and learned quite a bit about my a body suspension. (I installed the adjustment cams backwards, locking nut goes to the outer.)

Interesting all the stock settings called for, especially negative caster on manual steering cars.

They were designed with a “steering axis inclination” built in that worked extremely well with the 0 offset 13x5 rims and biased ply tires.

All that is out the window with my offset 17x8’s and radials. Going to do a string alignment and set 4 degrees of positive caster (2.5 is about max with stock control arm), 1/8” toe in, and -0.5 degrees of camber to start.

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Guitar accessory Musical instrument Font Electronic instrument Gadget

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Human body Font Electronic device Audio equipment Circle

Human body Musical instrument Eyelash Font Gadget

Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Black

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Black

Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Automotive lighting Bicycle part Font

Rectangle Black-and-white Font Tints and shades Monochrome photography

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Passenger side went much quicker. Clearanced the front mount for the set nut in the control arm. The tie rods were fun to break loose. Surprised I got them to move by hand eventually. Passenger side looks good, will have to adjust driver side later.

The ‘67 exhaust is going to work perfectly. I have a cross over ordered and thinking I’ll use some ‘70 Super Bee exhaust tips since they look closest to the square tip Formula S HiPo resonator.

Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Plumbing Plumbing valve Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle Photograph Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light

Light Wood Bicycle part Gas Auto part

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tool Rectangle Auto part Metal Aluminium

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
That took a lot longer than expected. Both fenders dip down when I push down on either now. Wouldn’t want to install another one by myself, surprised I’m still pretty flexible in my mid forties.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Got my motor mounts squared away. Managed to get 1/2” between sliding the passenger mount over, raising the driver side up ~1/2” and clocking the Borgeson box counterclockwise then torquing it down. Looks like I’ll have just enough room for the high pressure line fitting now. I’m going to grind away a little on the manifold. Steering knuckle isn’t touching anymore, but I’m going to grind a little there too. Now to fidget with the exhaust connector pipes.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Vehicle

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 · (Edited)
As luck would have it, the stock 1998 Ram 2500 Y-pipe fits the 1966 A-body if you cut it and swap driver and passenger pipes. It clears the torsion bars, brake lines, and starter, dumping out by the transmission pan where a set of headers would. I can weld a 2” to 2.5” reducer to the down pipe and connect it to the 2.5” exhaust in a manner that will allow me to connect it to a headers if I want to go that route later. The mandrel bent exhaust system was made by the same company that made my S-10 exhaust, Heartthrob.

Mocking up the exhaust pieces, looks like everything is going to clear and line up. I bought a 2.5” X-pipe that I should be able to install under the transmission tail shaft.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
My neighbor called me and said Code Enforcement was taking pictures in my driveway of my Barracuda on jack stands, he came out and gave him the stink eye. I thought it was funny, I told him we called the city to close out the permit and update our roof as replaced in 2019 (homeowner’s insurance was trying to say 2004).

He was mad at the thought someone would call in on my car, haha! I told him I thought I was making progress, couldn’t imagine why somebody would call on it.

Got $400 back from insurance with roof date updated, and no notice on the car.

I dig the angle of the back pipes in the pic, but they are going to be level after I install the hangers at the muffler outlets. Should have the exhaust all hung and bolted on by Sunday.

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Sky

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
So an eagle eye Mopar owner spotted my forward mount caliper job, guess the ‘73-76 a-bodies were meant for a rear mount position. (I’ll check the numbers to see which caliper has an even part number (right) and which is odd (left) to verify.) Either way, mounting calipers to the rear will eliminate sway bar mount clearance issues and the hard brake lines are routed to the back of the a-arms. The ‘69 Camaro braided brake lines look like they’ll be better suited for a rear mount position as well.

Got new lower 1962,1973-76 Dart ball joints on the way, I’ll swap the spindles and calipers when I install those.

Massaged the radiator support and got the larger 22” B-body radiator to fit. I have minimal clearance from the electric fan to the water pump nipple mount for the clutch fan. I might cut/grind off 1/8” for clearance. Once the radiator’s bolted in place I can connect the trans cooler lines.

I need to make a list of all these small things so I can cross them off. I’m hoping to get it moving under its own power soon.

On a positive note, my son just turned 14 and is finally off his Toyota Corolla kick. He mentioned driving the Firebird to High School to impress the ladies. I told him he could take the S-10, and he told me, “No offense Dad, but your truck is not going to impress anyone.” I said, “Exactly, which is why I might let you drive the S-10 to prom.”

·
Head Lifeguard
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Got the passenger side exhaust hung. Still have to tweak the pipes for final clamping, but everything is going to clear. I used the Ram collector and the 2” pipe clears the transmission and torsion bar. I welded a 2” union to it, then welded a 2” to 2.5” reducer on. I had extra 2.5” exhaust tubing lying around from my S-10 and welded a small section of it to my new down pipe. This way later on if I go with headers I can unclamp it and install a header collector. I’m okay with how it turned out, much better than the cheap flex tube pipe I’ve seen people run.

Road surface Asphalt Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Bumper Safety glove Auto part Metal Automotive exterior

Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Muffler Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

281 - 300 of 306 Posts