S-10 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Since it is sacrilege to paint a Mopar engine bay anything but body color, I’m going to have to right the wrongs of the past owner. At least they used a 2K paint. Going to get this done so I can run my all new brake lines and get the engine and transmission in. I “massaged” the firewall lip for the 727. From what I’ve read the firewall lip rubs the larger bell housing of the case. Most early Valiant swaps with 318/340/360 and a 727 I’ve seen were okay with just folding the lip. I believe the big block 727 is even larger and requires a bit of fab to the tunnel to fit. Only one way to find out. I’ll put all the V8 S10 swap experience to good use.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Figure I’ll paint the k-member and torsion bars black. Next up, prep and spray underside with Raptor liner, run brake lines and fuel line, drop in motor and trans to figure out pinion angle, weld new perches to rear axles, then order a driveshaft.

Hood Automotive tire Sky Automotive lighting Plant

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Sky Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
676 Posts
I would have never thought when I joined a forum dedicated to S10’s, which we all love, that one day the thread I’d be most excited about an update on would be about a Plymouth.. Good work on the engine bay, now you’re at least 15% back to stock color! Exciting! Had a chance to mock up the Viper seats yet?

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
S10’s are how my Dad showed me how to wrench on cars and fabricate things, so no matter what I work on there will always be a connection to S10’s.

Viper seats lined up nicely and work out great spacial relation wise with the coffin console. They are low enough that I can make some mount adapters to use the stock seat holes in the floor pan and bolt the seats to the adapters retaining plenty of head room. I saw an early Dart set up this way.

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
Ya know...
That's what makes me keep coming back to this forum.
Unfortunately, many old members have lost interest.
Sad
The good side - this is still a great place to find information and amazing projects (like this one by Bennsb)

AND... does it have to be S10?
Well - it is an S10 forum. Yez,
But it is still totally interesting to see any project that has relevance to any future make a project complete.
Props to Bennsb!!
Amazing Firechicken transformation!!
And now?
Bacarooda: (remember that?)
Back to the 21st century! (y)(y)(y)

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, the old Sox and Martin “Baccaruda”

I thought my Dad was mispronouncing it when he had the slot racer.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

My compressor had other plans and chucked a reed valve. (Third one it has cracked, I guess that’s the trade off of coastal living...)

Waiting on parts. Got shocks in, need a bushing to use the Mountaineer shock mount plates as the bolt is smaller. Put hood torque rods back on, ran the new brake lines and mounted the new split distribution block. Routing was easier than I thought, and I finally get to use the rear brake proportioning valve I’ve had in my S10’s glovebox for a decade...

Unfortunately I can’t run the Ram truck exhaust manifold on the driver side without going to a manual steering box. Found a driver side A-body 360 manifold that was off a California car. Same outlet size as the ‘96 Ram logs I have, and this isn’t a race motor so it still should be good for ~290 horsepower and ~390 ft/lb of torque. Plenty for a 2900 pound car.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Flooring Grey

Vehicle Plant community Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Naval architecture

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Cleaned up the workspace. Driveway looked like Mars under the car from the floor pan removal. It rolled easy enough. If all goes well, there maybe an engine in the thing by this weekend.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Sky

Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
Are you going to run headers or manifolds?
Running manifolds. The truck passenger works but I need manual steering to run the driver’s side log. Had to pick up a 360 smogger to work until I can source a reasonably priced HI-PO 340 driver’s side.

727 in, need a different kickdown cable, the Ram truck’s hits the floorboard. Overall I’m happy with how it’s going, the V8 S10 swap problem solving skills have come in handy.

I got the motor level an perched where I want it. A 1” carb spacer and my filter will be just peaking through the hood. I am going to fabricate a sealed foam bottom plate to mate up to the bottom of the hood similar to my Firebird’s Ram Air pan for a functional cold air intake.

Rear end is about 3/4” off center. I can live with that. Might try to weld the new perches on tomorrow now that I have my transmission set to pull my pinion angle.

I backed out the torsion bars all the way when I got it, the front tires tucked like a stanced VW GTI... Not a good look for the Fish. Tightening the torsion bolts was way easier than the first go ‘round. It lifted the front back up and I’ve got another 1” or so to raise it. Going to flip the front spring pockets to bring the rear down, got some 70’s street rake going on. Looks like all the cars I drew as a kid in the early 80’s.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

White Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Car Cloud

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Tire Photograph Plant Wheel Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Photograph Car Automotive tire

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Anti vibration weight on the tail shaft?
Yes sir. Some chuck it as weight reduction. I have a counter balance on the yoke of my S10 driveshaft behind the T56 and it is a smooth ride at 80 mph in sixth gear. I figure Chrysler has it there for a reason, and that 727 tail section is quite long. It’s perfectly centered and spaced in relation to the tunnel so I’m leaving it.

Rebuilt the passenger caliper, lines are plumbed. I replaced the busted original idler arm as well. Motor position looks spot on, I’m pretty happy. Hoping the rear spring bolts cooperate. I’m going to flip the front eye bolt cups to drop the rear an inch, then hopefully center the rear axle and weld the new perches on with my desired pinion angle. Someone was helpful enough to tell me to flip the cups BEFORE I set the rear, it throws off the pinion angle quite a bit. He has a sweet gunmetal gray ‘66 Fish. I think I’m going to go for the same stance.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Tire

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Stock perches were a bear to get off. Neither front shackle bolt nut would budge. Guess I’ll cut them off and replace. Managed to mock up the rear so at least I know what length driveshaft I’ll need.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
How is your clearance from the pan to center link with the wheels turned?
It looks very close.
It is very close. The early 273 pans had a recessed area on the driver’s side to clear the center link. The early 273 pan won’t work on the 5.9 so I need to tap on the pan to gently create the clearance I need for sharp left turns.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bumper Fender

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 · (Edited)
Looks like I’m going to luck out, a 46” Durango driveshaft is going to work. A trip to the junkyard and $30 is going to allow me to ditch my 2x4 scrap and decorative concrete edging wheel chocks.

*Well that was a bust. 48” U-joint center to U-joint center. That and I forgot this yard lifts every car with front loader forks and bends up every rear wheel driveshaft. Oh well. Plan B is an eBay Mustang driveshaft out of Texas.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts