Wheel Well Protection - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Well Protection

Hi All,

So winter is here and I want to protect my very rust free truck. Its an 01 and has a quarter million miles but belonged to my grandpa in the south... its in unimaginable condition for a northern rig. I have a buddy that swears by this type of undercoating (im not sure what it is). He descried it as a fatty type consistency that sticks to the underside of the truck but can still be removed after power washing or many typical car washes. Has any one heard of this or have any better solutions?

Also, I have tried finding the plastic or metal inner wheel well covers for the rear but I cannot find the rear ones for this truck ANYWHERE. I've only been able to find replacement ones for the front which I believe they come with out of the factory. Do they exist and where can I get them?

If anyone has any other tips or tricks to keep the salt out and the rust down please let me know! Like I said, this was my grandpas truck and I've been putting alot of time and money into it to keep it nice and running right. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Chopper! Sic balls!

Re: Wheel Well Protection

Your buddy may have been talking about fluid film. I sprayed my front inner wheel wells with bedliner. And although it's a pain to wash a vehicle in the winter keeping it washed will help keep the salt from hanging out and doing its thing.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM

do they still have those drive thru car washes that spray the underside?
only real way to preserve it is to just say no to winter driving.

Find a similar model beater as your winter driver.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM
B4U Task Force

A hose and oscillating sprinkler work.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Best protection is a garage. Keep the truck in it until the snow melts in the spring.

Get a beater for the winter. Something that you don't care if it turns to rust.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 04:37 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

My truck was sprayed with Krown for about 7 years... the frame and cab are mint. Just had to fight the usual bed-corner and wheel arch corrosion issues... A layer of marine grease smeared on those areas helps.

Believer in krown & equivalent spray-oils... family has had many vehicles over the years that died usually due to trans or engine issues, not from rusting out.

But @Racer-X has the best advice imo…
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Young S10 enthusiast

[Phil Swift walks in with a huge grin on his face] Flex Seal!
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM

krown/under oiling is the best thing you can do for any vehicle that sees the winter
post #9 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I cant afford to get another vehicle on the road right now - Connecticut is great about salting their roads to destroy your cars then taxing the ever living crap out of you every time you get a new car. I will try my best to limit its use, but this truck will unfortunately see road time over the winter. I want to do what I can to stop or delay the rust issue, without spending an arm and a leg. I'm pretty handy and can do most of this myself, but just out of curuousity... does anyone have any input about getting it professionally undercoated? As far as price, effectiveness, etc.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman7275 View Post
Unfortunately, I cant afford to get another vehicle on the road right now - Connecticut is great about salting their roads to destroy your cars then taxing the ever living crap out of you every time you get a new car. I will try my best to limit its use, but this truck will unfortunately see road time over the winter. I want to do what I can to stop or delay the rust issue, without spending an arm and a leg. I'm pretty handy and can do most of this myself, but just out of curuousity... does anyone have any input about getting it professionally undercoated? As far as price, effectiveness, etc.
Get a fluid film kit this is enough for about 3-4 treatments to an S10. This is about the best you can do for salt protection in New England.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 PM

At the very least, Rustoleum has something called "Rust Reformer" that you can spray directly over rusty metal and it will turn black over the rust. Then, I would brush on some regular Rustoleum oil-based paint everywhere you can get to. Brushing will put it on thicker than a rattle can.

After that, buy a season pass to a car wash that sprays the undercarriage and wash it as many times a week as they will let you.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
Get a fluid film kit this is enough for about 3-4 treatments to an S10. This is about the best you can do for salt protection in New England.

My wife wants to move back to the frozen wasteland (Michigan). If that happens, I'll be doing the Rustoleum and probably this fluid film kit if it's any good.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Well I'll be putting my truck up on a lift (buddys family owns a shop) tomorrow and hitting it with fluid film. In the meantime I took the advice of a getting an unlimited wash pass, $30 monthly... I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of this place! I almost feel bad about it actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page