Rust on underside - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By code_red63366

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Rust on underside

Hey all, I got some rust starting under the body of this truck, whats the best and easiest way to stop it from continuing to grow? I was thinking maybe just sand it a little and spray some rustoleum rattle can & on the spots maybe prime it first?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Re: Rust on underside

It's best to use a rust converter first. After washing (preferably with a pressure washer) and allowing it to dry, knock off any flaky stuff and spray or brush on. Let the rust converter dry then apply a coat of paint. On an S10 getting it inside the rocker panels, cab corners, and rear wheel arches can be difficult, but that's where it is needed most.
I think Permatex rust treatment is the best value. There are many others like Rust-oleum rust converter and Eastwood rust encapsulator. They all actually dissolve the rust and turn it into a protective coating which should have a top coat applied to it.
I find Eastwood over priced and feel Rust-oleum tends to make their paints a cheaply as they can get away with. That's why I went with the middle priced Permatex. They come in varying sizes and brush on or spray cans.
My first use of it was on a snow plow blade which had to be painted every spring. The paint always seem to come off the first or second use each year because I was spraying over rust by spring. The rust converter, then paint holds up much longer. I refinished an old blade I no longer use years ago and it still looks good with no rust reappearing.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Use a wire brush (wire brush cup on a drill, wire brush wheel on a die grinder) to remove as much of the loss rust as possible first. If there's rust deep in pitting, you might want to apply "rust converter" to chemically treat that rust.

After that, you can use a phospohric acid solution (10% or so) to etch away what's left and prep it for paint.

Rustoleum paint is good.

There's a rust sealing coating called "Rust Seal" from KBS Coatings that's also excellent, but it's expensive. They also sell a kit with cleaner/degreaser (similar to any other cleaner/degreaser on the market), a "Rust Blast" etching solution (which is just a 10% solution of phosphoric acid, premixed) and the Rust Seal coating.

Another well known rust treatment is POR-15. Used as directed, it's excellent. It's more of a coating/primer and really needs a top coat/seal to complete the job. A lot of people use it as the only treatment/coating, but it's not designed as a weather resistant final finish, it's more of a rust coating primer.

If you can't light up the tires in the first three gears, you need more power.
If you can light up the tires in the first three gears, you need better tires.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM
94 4x4,01 Blazer

wash/degrease- dry- prime with rust converter- areas that get hit with wheel throw- undercoat with a rubberized- the seal everything with a semi or if you prefer glossy color of choice.Most go for black, but have seen underpainting to go with or contrast with the body paint job- even seen one truck undershot completely with Silverline galvi roof paint..... too damn shiney

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceAmerica View Post
Hey all, I got some rust starting under the body of this truck, whats the best and easiest way to stop it from continuing to grow? I was thinking maybe just sand it a little and spray some rustoleum rattle can & on the spots maybe prime it first?
Thanks.
Where exactly on the underside is the rust? Cab corners? Rockers? Firewall? Frame? Cab mounts? Fender wells?...etc... some places there's tricks to reaching behind them...and some places not so much. Fluid film slows down the rust or will for now but it will not go away or fix itself until the rust is cut out of the truck and replaced with good sheet metal.
manbearpig likes this.

Mike...... 2001 S10 2.2, Flex fuel, 5 speed, base model, all stock
2nd vehicle.......2003 Ford Excursion, 5.4, gas, 4 wheel drive, all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page