2001 Crew Cab - Fuel Door Problem - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

2001 Crew Cab - Fuel Door Problem

So here is my problem. I noticed my fuel door swings open while driving and has no tension left. Seems fairly straight forward fix, right? I ordered two new tension springs from different vendors, but neither fit. They are both slightly too big, therfore wont fit into the designated slots right. I tried using a angle grinder and pliers to shape and size one of the enw springs to the right size, also didnt work. At this point I gave up and brought it to a body shop. The body shop cannot figure it out either (or didnt want to waste more time with it because its pretty inexpensive job). His suggestion was a new door and spring assembly. Although, I really dont think this is necessary I did some google searching and found many 2001 s10 fuel doors, even in the same color as my truck and for only like $30. Great news, right? Except... They specifically list the 2001 chevy crew cab configuration as a model it will NOT fit - according to this seller the crew cabs have different curved fuel doors because the bed is an isuzu bed. Well, I did my research for 2001 isuzu pickups (rodeo), but cannot find a model with a bed or fuel door the same as mine....

I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. Anyone have experience with the crew cab configuration? They are pretty rare and many parts are hard/impossible to find, which suck. I know many people say "dont worry about it" or "just use magnets", but i inhertied this truck which is in great condition with virtually no rust on anything, 250k miles, and belonged to my grandfather so I want to keep up on it properly. On a separate not does anyone know of a tool box make/model that will fit in the bed of these things?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Re: 2001 Crew Cab - Fuel Door Problem

Couldn't find the right part either. Common problem on CC's.
On my 02 CC I removed the door assembly and rigged a small coil spring onto the hinge.
The coil spring makes a squeaking sound when I gas up, but who cares? It stays shut the rest of the time. I suppose I could grease the spring.
What's wrong with a magnet? I hadn't thought of that.

There were a couple companies that made them for CC's a couple years ago. Had notches to clear the wheel wells. Haven't looked lately. Might not still be made, since the truck hasn't been for 15 years. There are some out there, somewhere, tho. Might have to settle for used.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 04:07 PM

I have a 2002 crew cab s10. Somebody used a regular s10 cover on mine. I've since taken the bed off, let me know if you want the door and I'll send it. It is red.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 06:26 PM

It has the gas door spring also
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
Couldn't find the right part either. Common problem on CC's.
On my 02 CC I removed the door assembly and rigged a small coil spring onto the hinge.
The coil spring makes a squeaking sound when I gas up, but who cares? It stays shut the rest of the time. I suppose I could grease the spring.
What's wrong with a magnet? I hadn't thought of that.

There were a couple companies that made them for CC's a couple years ago. Had notches to clear the wheel wells. Haven't looked lately. Might not still be made, since the truck hasn't been for 15 years. There are some out there, somewhere, tho. Might have to settle for used.
Sorry I wasn't clearer on this. The 2nd paragraph was regarding the toolbox.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 02:28 AM

Oddly enough I ended up with a good one of the Crew Cab fuel doors today. Local guy I met selling parts threw it in with some other parts I was picking up. It does need paint, but all there and has a working spring.

If you want it, throw me a couple bucks, pay for shipping, and it's yours.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 AM

PM sent.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

If all else fails I'll probably end using the magnet, but my grandfather kept this truck up very well and properly so I'd like to follow that lead. Im glad I brought the problem to this forum, seems like somebody always has a lead to follow! As far as the toolbox is concerned, I'm probably going to look for used. The manufactures who sell them new want an arm and a leg, and honestly I'm not in that great of a need of one.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM

My CC has a fiberglass bed cover. Under that I have HD plastic "job box" sort of thing that I keep all the loose stuff in. Just lift it out when I put bigger stuff back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page