1997 Rear Bumper Swap - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldeerslayer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

1997 Rear Bumper Swap

Hey Everyone, I'm a first time owner of a 1997 Chevy S10 LS pickup and I would like to swap out my stock 1997 rear bumper with a 1998+ rear fleetside bumper. I know the 1997s and 1998s are really similar as far as the front and rear end are concerned. My question is can I do the swap and are any modifications needed to do the swap? I know once I pull the current bumper endcaps off I need to fill in three small holes on each side of the lower body, but other than that can I just do an easy swap out with a new aftermarket 1998 fleetside bumper? Thanks so much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM

Re: 1997 Rear Bumper Swap

Yes you can do it. I've done it. Think you'll need the 98 bumper to frame mounts if I remember correctly. When I did it I used a used bumper that came with the bumper brackets on because it was the easiest way to pull it.
If you buy a new bumper you'll need the upper and lower plastic covers and license plate lights.

Here's the complete kit. Also available in chrome. Don't think you actually need the lights w/ pigtails. I seem to remember the 94-97 working in the housings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-BUMPER...MAAOSwdbla8tII
tie_fytr likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1997 Rear Bumper Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
Yes you can do it. I've done it. Think you'll need the 98 bumper to frame mounts if I remember correctly. When I did it I used a used bumper that came with the bumper brackets on because it was the easiest way to pull it.
If you buy a new bumper you'll need the upper and lower plastic covers and license plate lights.

Here's the complete kit. Also available in chrome. Don't think you actually need the lights w/ pigtails. I seem to remember the 94-97 working in the housings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-BUMPER...MAAOSwdbla8tII
Thanks for the reply! That was one of the kits I was looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page