ZR2 ABS Module + Gauge Cluster Questions/Issue - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

ZR2 ABS Module + Gauge Cluster Questions/Issue

Hello everyone,

Ended up selling my 1985 S10 I purchased when I joined the forum and upgraded to a S10 ZR2. The truck isn't perfect, but I've repaired quite a bit and just have a few things I have questions about. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Background info: 2003, S10 LS, ZR2 package, 112k miles, bone stock

Problem 1:

ABS Module failure? - I have done some research and it seems that it is common to have failed solder points on the module's board. My ABS/BRAKE light will come on randomly sometimes (maybe a few times a day on/off, maybe off for a week, maybe on for 2-3 days straight, no pattern). I used a dealer level scanner at work and the codes (not active when I scanned, but in history) pointed towards a faulty ABS module. I am really wanting to try to fix this myself as I have a basic understanding of soldering and from a few instances I've seen seems fairly simple to diagnose (if that is the problem).

Question: How would I go about taking apart the module to get to the board without damaging anything, and what is the best way to "seal" it back together? ALSO, in the off chance that I royally screw up, are you able to drive the vehicle WITHOUT the module plugged in or even installed on the ABS pump? (Assuming I would need to drive it after ruining mine, and having another replacement on a delay for a few days). I know it doesn't really matter much with it being plugged in and failed (just no ABS and the dash light, obviously), but can I totally remove it in an attempt to fix the board myself?

Problem 2:

Specific Gauge issues - In specific, my fuel gauge, but also the speedometer and voltage gauge to a much lesser degree.

*Fuel gauge - randomly will be erratic and wiggle between a few ticks, or jump as much as 1/4 of a tank. Doesn't matter if its full, half tank, or 1/4. Usually happens more often once I hit about 3/4-1/2 and below, but has happened when full as well. Sometimes it will stay perfect, other days it jumps around, then quits, jumps, quits, stays still, etc.

*Speedo - When slowing to a stop, the speedo seems to kind of "hang up" at 10MPH, then jump down to 0 (skipping 9-1), then once I start moving do the same in the opposite direction. Works perfect otherwise, only notice it when completely stopping and starting slow from a stop. Appears to be accurate in measurement.

*Voltage - When vehicle is running, voltage shows a tick under 14. When turning on the blinker(s) gauge will move 2-3 ticks in correspondence with blinker. Doesn't seem to experience the same behavior with any other load (A/C, radio, lights, etc, ONLY blinkers)

Question: Could this be as simple as bad stepper motors? Would it be worth it to order the kit and replace all of them? Is there other issues with each that could be causing the same issues if they all appear to be reading correctly other than the erratic behavior?

TIA for reading and any help you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Old Fart

Re: ZR2 ABS Module + Gauge Cluster Questions/Issue

The first thing I would do is check and clean all your ground connections. Bad grounds could cause all the problems you are experiencing. I'm having the same issue with my ABS and did the re-solder and I'm still getting lights so I have to find where the ground for the module is and clean it up next. You just use black RTV to seal it back up if you end up having to do the re-solder.

Too Much Horsepower is ALMOST ENOUGH!
"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 PM

there are more inherent problems in those ABS units.
Ive done the resolder on some only to have a different problem come up later.
So last few Ive sent to Brians Speedo in Ok. and have him upgrade the weak parts.
His turnaround time is normally 3 days.
Yes it can be driven without module.
Make sure you have yours done and dont just exchange,internal programming is specific to your model.Might want to ask Brian about your IP problems but S10s arent normally bad on stepper motors.
In addition to bad grounds a weak battery will play tricks on you too.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Update: I checked all my grounds, also removed the module, cleaned all the connectors, checked wiring, etc. Did fine this morning, and in the afternoon the lights came back on.

Decided to pull the ABS fuse and remove the module. The silicone is a PITA, but finally got the module apart. Without even using a magnifying glass, could see one bad solder immediately. I'm going to go through all the points and repair as necessary (or at least attempt to). Will update with results.

As far as the other issues go, I have checked and cleaned the battery terminals, also unplugged and re-tightened them. volt meter appears to show somewhat higher voltage than usual (actually is showing 14) but the rest of the issues still exist. I will most likely get a charging system diagnosis and see if the battery or alternator itself is on the way out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_200928.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	317849  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 07:20 AM
94 4x4,01 Blazer

14v is fine- on need to worry in that department if its BELOW 10 or OVER 16- Alternator can very - on ABS issue- once you do resod- if still getting issues- check ther voltage coming out of each abs wheel sensor- should be @350 mvAC (see Youtube vid for how)- the gas gauge- i have a '01 that does the same- i read somewhere that the Ethenol in the fuel blend is glazing the step relay in the tabk sending unit causing the erratic readings- said article mention Techtron Fuel treatment.- and you might list the grounds you did check as there are a few that everyone misses or does not even know are there.

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawke View Post
14v is fine- on need to worry in that department if its BELOW 10 or OVER 16- Alternator can very - on ABS issue- once you do resod- if still getting issues- check ther voltage coming out of each abs wheel sensor- should be @350 mvAC (see Youtube vid for how)- the gas gauge- i have a '01 that does the same- i read somewhere that the Ethenol in the fuel blend is glazing the step relay in the tabk sending unit causing the erratic readings- said article mention Techtron Fuel treatment.- and you might list the grounds you did check as there are a few that everyone misses or does not even know are there.

Have you used fuel treatment in your and noticed a difference? Its not a bad idea anyway but was curious if you've tried it for yourself. Also curious if a tank of ethanol free would do anything.
I'm sure I missed most grounds, I just did a quick check over, nothing crazy. Are there ones specific to the problems I'm experiencing? (or are they all equally important?).

As far as ABS wheel sensors go, do they throw a code specific to them that I could check on a scanner? I had quite a few codes in history but if I remember correctly they all related to the ABS module.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM
94 4x4,01 Blazer

have used 1 bottle so far and the neddle bounce has decreased in range- tried ethel free- no change- think the treatment is cleaning the contact patches,
yes there are wheel specific-multiple
and the grounds most people miss are the frame to ground, fender to rad support(2x) and frame to cab, and lastly the two ground that come off the rear of block to cab and to ecm respectively

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Finally got all my supplies and went to work on the module. My soldering iron was too large for the job, but I did what I could. I expected that I made the module worse than it was (my solders were extremely embarrassing), but so far I haven't had a ABS/Brake light come on, and I did the fix last week.

New problem: I'm an idiot. I purchased new machine screws from Home Depot because I had lost one of the originals. The screw matched up perfectly as far as length, thread pattern, everything. Only difference was it had a flathead instead of torx. For some reason, the bolts wouldn't thread all the way down like the originals. One snapped. I now have half a screw stuck inside the ABS pump. I'm currently running on 3 screws (the three original, not the new ones, lol).

How would I manage to get screws that worked, if the EXACT same things didn't? What am I missing here?! Also, best way to extract the bolt from the pump?

Currently Own:

2003 Chevy S10 ZR2

Previously Owned:

1985 Chevy S10 (2.8 V6)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE

1993 Chevy S10

1997 Chevy S10 ZR2
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM

is it sticking out enough to put a nut on it?
Im guessing you mean the screws that hold the cover on?
if so just run a bead of sealer around it and call it good.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime-dozen View Post
is it sticking out enough to put a nut on it?
Im guessing you mean the screws that hold the cover on?
if so just run a bead of sealer around it and call it good.

I'm talking about one of the main screws that holds the entire ABS module to the ABS pump itself. It has four machine screws that screw down the module and thread into the pump. One snapped in half, so the bottom half of the screw is threaded into the pump, but there is no top half holding down the module.

My ABS module didn't have any screws holding the cover on, just sealer, so I just resealed it when I did the repair, that's no problem.

So far I haven't had any issues with it, but I still don't feel good about not having the module mounted by all four screws. I'll try to get a picture if there is still some confusion.

Currently Own:

2003 Chevy S10 ZR2

Previously Owned:

1985 Chevy S10 (2.8 V6)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE

1993 Chevy S10

1997 Chevy S10 ZR2
post #11 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Registered Hoosier

Fuel gauge- The fuel level sensor is likely worn out. Speedo- Check the VSS in the transfer case. I had that acted like that, Then it quit altogether. (no trans shift)
I had to replace the ABS module on one of our 2500 hd trucks. one of the screws broke off when replacing the module. been running it without one for years.

1992 rcsb 4.3,at 357,000 miles. Rust in Peace
2000 Jimmy 4x4 4dr. 255,000 miles
2002 rcsb, 2.2 at, 289,000miles
1967 C10
2006 Colorado

Last edited by Hoosier Rick; 07-21-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page