Re: Project: It's still junk
I guess you can never be too careful... but...
I had an old VW air cooled engine sitting for about 3 years. No history.
Had a bug shell which I installed it into.
Went to drain the oil...
Guess what came out?
About 1 GALLON of water. Crap.
So, it also had oil in it after the water escaped.
Well, WTF do I do now??
Yep, went for it.
Filled with fresh oil, cranked until the oil light went out.
Gave it the ether shot, and it fired right up!!!!
Ran not bad to boot.
How this happens is a mystery.
I think your transmission will be fine and I also bet the engine will run great.
I have found that someone doing a project like this (PO) would not install a junk engine/tranny.
Even from sitting, mechanical stuff generally doesn't mysteriously go bad (not counting seals and gaskets)
Good luck with this, my crystal ball says that you'll be ok with the drive train!
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.