Project: Autocross S10 - S-10 Forum
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 601 Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Project: Autocross S10

I finally have the majority of my parts rounded up and I'm ready to begin working on my truck. The goal is to have a truck that i can use for daily driving and be able to drive to the track and be competitive in my class at autocross events. Eventually this will involve an engine swap of some sort to get the power i will need, but for the time being i am mostly concerned with handling mods. I would like to preface this project with one statement...Function Over Form! The whole truck was well used by previous owners and therefore i got this truck really cheap. The engine runs good, the cab is really solid, and it gives me a base to start from. Being a budget build, this is all i really need. First thing i did was replace door pins and bushings. They had been gone a long time and i had to do some repairs on the hinges. At the time i wasn't thinking about starting a project thread, so no pictures of that. But i will post up some pictures of what i have to start with. I got a little excited when i got my wheel spacers and wheels so i put them on before i got any pictures, but it came with grey steel wheels. Hopefully i will get around to my suspension mods over the holiday weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0432.JPG
Views:	1467
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	258986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0433.JPG
Views:	1214
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	258994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0434.JPG
Views:	1174
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	259002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0435.JPG
Views:	1340
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	259010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0436.JPG
Views:	1184
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	259018  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 601 Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Passwordistaco

Garage
Re: Project: Autocross S10

Cool! Interested in seeing how this is gonna go with the new ball joints.

[/SIGPIC]Michael _ @Passwordistaco511_
<a href=https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-nightmare-dressed-like-a-daydream-688786/ target=_blank>www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-nightmare-dressed-like-a-daydream-688786/</a>
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...ydream-688786/
post #3 of 601 Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the interior....not much to start with here either, but that's ok. Bench seat will be replaced with something to hold me in place a little better and a bucket seat from a Blazer for the passenger side. Door panels will be replaced eventually with ones that don't have holes and cracks in them. Floor covering will be removed since it is junk, more than likely the floor will remain bare. Also i will be taking the steering wheel from a blazer to replace this one as well since half of the foam around it is missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0442.JPG
Views:	975
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	259122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0443.JPG
Views:	905
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	259130  
post #4 of 601 Old 05-26-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

First two mods: e-fan and open air intake. I used the popular option, the taurus fan.

After some measuring and test fitting, i decided to remove the two tabs and small lip that were on the one end of the shroud.

Out with the old

In with the new. I am very well pleased with how this fan fits the radiator. It covers 99%, only leaving one row at the top open. I used some adhesive backed weather stripping to make a good seal around the shroud and prevent the shroud from rubbing on the radiator.

The tab on the bottom of the shroud fits right down into the plastic tray below the radiator giving it good support and holding the bottom in tight. As for mounting, i used 4 through radiator zip ties, they hold it in place very well.

For top mounting of the radiator, i modified the factory top shroud with an air saw. This is also what i used to remove the tabs and lip from the end of the e-fan shroud.

Aside from the slightly less than flawlessly straight cut, it nearly looks like a factory install. Modifying the top shroud in this way also allows for the mounting of the factory intake if someone wanted to go that route.

As for wiring, I am using an adjustable thermostat heat probe that is mounted at the top of the back side of the radiator under the shroud, when the thermostat reaches its set point, it triggers the 40A fan relay. My power and ground wires are all 10AWG wire to make sure they can carry the load.

The completed install.

As for the intake, this is a custom job made from left over pipe and couplers and clamps from installing the front mount intercooler on my TDI jetta.

post #5 of 601 Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Oh man. A 98+ non-AC truck. If you ever pop the dash off, I'd really like to know what the recirculation door block off looks like.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #6 of 601 Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, if this thing ever goes full race truck some day, i would be glad to give you a look...of course at that point, i could probably just sell you the heater box or block off parts. haha!
post #7 of 601 Old 05-27-2016, 09:36 AM
In charge of the big door

Looks good. That is the same temp sensor that I used.

Q: How many people can you fit in one Honda?
A: Well, the Bible said that all 12 disciples were in one Accord.

>-----<My Build thread>-----<
>-----<Facebook>-----<
>-----<Instagram>-----<
post #8 of 601 Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I was going to piece together my own kit with an inline coolant sensor because all of these type of sensors i had seen around were upwards of $100 for the kit, but then i stumbled upon this one for $23 for the sensor and the relay and all of the wires. Can't hardly beat that.
post #9 of 601 Old 05-28-2016, 08:57 PM

If you haven't already, talk to rentedmule here. He has raced his truck for a long time now and probably knows more about what works with bolt on stuff and what doesn't. He has been regional champ for his class and is just an awesome guy. https://www.s10forum.com/forum/member.php?u=65362
post #10 of 601 Old 05-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Passwordistaco

Garage

Agreed. Good dude.

<a href=https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-nightmare-dressed-like-a-daydream-688786/ target=_blank>www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-nightmare-dressed-like-a-daydream-688786/</a>
post #11 of 601 Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

I have had some feedback from him on my suspension thread, but I will maybe message him on how to make it better once I get rolling.
post #12 of 601 Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned over the weekend. A while back, i ordered this rear bushing kit- http://www.ebay.com/itm/272063368609...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Turns out, even though it says it does, this kit will not work on my truck. It has the correct frame-shackle bushing and correct shackle-leaf bushing but the leaf-fame bushings are not even close, they are way to small. Aside from that, i just had a major lack of time and did not get much done. I have my rear end nearly prepped and ready to go in, and a few other preparations made with front suspension parts as well. Hopefully i find time to get a lot done this week, otherwise i will be not making my first autocross of the season on sunday...
post #13 of 601 Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 AM

I had the same problem when I got the urethane kit for my rear leaf springs. I got the wrong size. Turns out they have 2 different size leaf spring eyes. Luckily I was able to return it and get the right kit.

>-----<Facebook>-----<
>-----<Instagram>-----<
post #14 of 601 Old 06-01-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Here is the rear end that will be going into my truck. It's from a 4x4 bravada. Good theory says i shouldn't have to run rear spacers with this axle. Same 3.73 gear ratio as my factory rear end, but this has the locking diff as well as disc brakes vs my drum brakes. It wasn't much to look at when i started since it has been sitting in the dirt for a few years.

All stripped down, it is actually a pretty good base to start with. I acquired it on a trade deal, including my fuel costs to go get it i only have about $200 into it. It came with new rotors, pads, backing plates, and e-brake cables. I figured being in that far i may as well do wheel seals and i replaced the cover because it was terribly rusted. Also added new parking brake shoes, calipers, and brake lines.

Hooray for locking diff!

New backing plates

New wheel seals

New parking brake shoes

New rotors, pads, and calipers

New diff cover
post #15 of 601 Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I had a little fun with fire, removing the bushings from the leaf springs.

I was aiming to put polly bushings in, but the kit i ended up with wont work with these springs. Not sure if the zq8 springs are different eye sizes from the base model springs or if i don't actually have zq8 springs....I will have to order the correct bushing kit, looks like the 4x4 spring kits will work in these springs. And i will have to do some measuring to figure out if these springs will even work on my truck at all. Anyone have any input on if these are actually zq8 springs?

post #16 of 601 Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM

I got the Energy Suspension 3.2142 kit. IIRC Energy Suspension has the measurements of their kits on the website, or at least what vehicles they fit.

>-----<Facebook>-----<
>-----<Instagram>-----<
post #17 of 601 Old 06-01-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Yea, that is the kit i need. I got the 3.2129 kit. I never even looked on their website, i just went off of info i got from searching on ebay. < right there is my mistake. Lesson learned though. At least i can still send back the wrong kit and order the correct one.
post #18 of 601 Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a little more done on my truck last night. I got the new rear end installed with 3 inch blocks on stock springs for now. I have an autocross this Sunday I want to try to make it to and don't have the time to wait on bushings for the rear leafs. That and basic math says it should sit level this way now until i can get 1.5" springs for the front to match the rears.

My fluid of choice, after all i am a dealer. And if anyone needs anything i would be more than happy to help them out.

SPs ready to go on.

With the wide tires, wide axle, and beefy shocks, it looks a lot more impressive from the rear now......not that a 2.2 is impressive, but at least it has the look and hopefully the handling ability.

Rear end all done, i started in on the front. Here is the standard ball joint next to the 1" extended.

The base pressed in nice, my only complaint would be that i do wish it would have pressed in a little tighter. Its not to the point that I am concerned about it staying in place, it just went in easier than pretty much any ball joint i have ever replaced.

I also installed polly bushings from summit in the lower control arms. This is where i ended last night because when i went to install i realized that the center pin on the front bushing needs to be drilled out slightly for the bolt to fit through, and i did not have a large enough drill bit on hand. Hopefully I will get the front suspension finished up tonight, and i have an alignment appointment tomorrow. If all goes well, testing will ensue on sunday!

Variable: I am also getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow....everyone keeps telling me i wont be able to take the pain to be off pain meds to race sunday, I am out to prove them wrong. haha!
post #19 of 601 Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 PM

When I had my Wisdom teeth out I was out of it for about 2 days. I only had to take Vicodin once though.

>-----<Facebook>-----<
>-----<Instagram>-----<
post #20 of 601 Old 06-03-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I'm going to try to be off any major pain meds soon as possible.

Tonights goal: stay up late as necessary to finish tuck to make alignment appointment tomorrow morning

Result: blew a left front brake line as I went to pull off the lift....not real impressed about that. Better to have found out there than on the road though. Hopefully I can get the line replaced on Saturday and find a place to do an alignment.
post #21 of 601 Old 06-03-2016, 09:58 AM

Good luck!

>-----<Facebook>-----<
>-----<Instagram>-----<
post #22 of 601 Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Passwordistaco

Garage

nice wheels

post #23 of 601 Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajohns34 View Post
Good luck!
Thanks for the good luck wishes. Doing petty well, only had one pain pill besides Motrin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_N_Black View Post
nice wheels
Well thanks! I really like them too. Borbet type T. 17x9.5. Got the wheels with current tires on them for $100. Couldn't possibly pass up that deal.
Back_N_Black likes this.
post #24 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Well, i had a few frustrations along the way, associated with working on an older rusty truck, but i did finally get the old beast back on the ground saturday, got my alignment done, and made the autocross yesterday. What a learning experience! This drives very different from anything else i have ever run before. I was rather impressed by how responsive the steering actually is. There are a few bugs to work out though and some big improvements to be made. I do know for sure that i still need to get my rear sway bar mounted on, get a bigger front sway on, change the rear bump stops so that the axle and frame match and work better together because right now they don't allow for very much travel, and i need to figure out how to make more clearance on the inner fenders or simply remove them. But overall, i am very happy with a first time out with the truck. Pics of finishing up the suspension and hopefully some video of the autocross to come.
post #25 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

So the current set up is this:

Front- 2" Chassis tech spindles, 1" extended lower ball joints, .5" extended upper ball joints, speedway upper arms, polyurethane lower control arm bushings, all oem type steering, and oem springs, 2.5" wheel spacers plus a 5/16 slip on spacer to clear tie rod ends with 17X9.5 wheels with 235x50-17 tires.

Rear- Bravada 4X4 rear axle with locking differential and disc brakes, 3" blocks on top of stock springs, no spacers required for perfect fitment on 17X9.5 wheels with 275x40-17 tires.

Everything all seems to jive well when it is all together. There is a bit of a bind on the top ball joint at full droop due to the lack of a droop stop, but aside from that, all is good.

the 1"lower ball joints that some people were interested in seem to work well.

here you can see the big angle on the top ball joint at full droop, but it sits much better at static ride height.

here is the finished product...for now.

post #26 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture that was taken of me at the autocross at jefferson speedway over the weekend.

Corey7733 likes this.
post #27 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Garage

Looks like fun. Would love to put my gran turismo skills to the test.

Only thing that scares me is all that spacer tho.

98 Regcab Stepside 2.2l 5spd
***Project Daily***

2005 Tahoe 4.8l 2wd
3-6 drop
22x9 reps
post #28 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

What size sway bar do you have? I've been curious to see how a truck would behave with the smaller front bar with a rear bar. I've been reluctant to move up in front bar size for fear of making understeer worse (my stock bar is 29mm) but considering using a rear bar to make it lean towards oversteering hopefully, it's less scary, lol.

post #29 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Passwordistaco

Garage

I'm curious what the actual advantage is over .5" on the ball joints. Do they have an upper to go with it? I would think it might create a bind depending on how far the suspension travels.

Also, if the .5" Bjs help get rid of .5" of the factory 5/8" of bumpsteer, what do the 1" tall bjs do since only 1/8" is the only amount remaining? Would there be any need for Heim joint tie rod ends at all with this setup since it would basically get rid of the remaining 1/8"? Lol just thinking out loud

Looks like you had a blast! And the truck looks like a lot of fun to drive. When I first started building the suspension on the blazer I was wanting to do autocross with it, but then I got bit by the "needs moar low" bug... Maybe next time lol

post #30 of 601 Old 06-06-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
Looks like fun. Would love to put my gran turismo skills to the test.

Only thing that scares me is all that spacer tho.
It seems that most everyone who does any performance driving with these trucks mostly use vette or f-body wheels, all of which require large spacers. I'm not too worried about it, but i suppose time will tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
What size sway bar do you have? I've been curious to see how a truck would behave with the smaller front bar with a rear bar. I've been reluctant to move up in front bar size for fear of making understeer worse (my stock bar is 29mm) but considering using a rear bar to make it lean towards oversteering hopefully, it's less scary, lol.
I have a stock front sway bar and no rear bar at this time. I know that i am getting way to much roll in the front because my tires are rubbing real hard on the tops of the inner fenders. I either need stiffer spring or stiffer sway, or both. Plus i need to remove the rear bump stop with this 4x4 axle to make enough clearance. But i think i will add the rear first since i have two of them laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_N_Black View Post
I'm curious what the actual advantage is over .5" on the ball joints. Do they have an upper to go with it? I would think it might create a bind depending on how far the suspension travels.

Also, if the .5" Bjs help get rid of .5" of the factory 5/8" of bumpsteer, what do the 1" tall bjs do since only 1/8" is the only amount remaining? Would there be any need for Heim joint tie rod ends at all with this setup since it would basically get rid of the remaining 1/8"? Lol just thinking out loud

Looks like you had a blast! And the truck looks like a lot of fun to drive. When I first started building the suspension on the blazer I was wanting to do autocross with it, but then I got bit by the "needs moar low" bug... Maybe next time lol
It doesn't seem to bind at all except for when the suspension travels to full droop, but the taller lowers actually help to reduce that not make it worse. Traveling in the other direction however, it would have to travel a very long ways i think, very far past the limits of the inner fender to cause any bind. When you speak of the bump steer, are you basically talking about any up or downward angle of the tie rod at static height? I'm not looking at it right this second, but if i remember correctly the tie rods are almost perfectly flat now. I really did have a lot of fun. Very different experience from anything else i have driven. I managed to outrun the guy in my group of friends who has a late 80s camaro with some goodies on it, but i have a long ways to go if i want to keep up with my other friends who have a 300zx turbo, 350z, srt4 neon, and bmw 545. Challenge excepted! I'm going to give it my best shot!
post #31 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 AM
I turn.

I wouldn't worry about the spacers. I've been running 2.5" spacers with 9 or 9.5" vette or F-body wheels and 275/40 R-compound tires for years (probably 80 auto-X events) and have never had a single issue with wheel bearings.

'09 G8 GT
'95 Firebird Formula auto-X build
'03 4.3L heads, cam, turbo donor for future 1st gen project

Red Jimmy '94 4dr 4wd, stock. Sold

Auto-X truck with stuff bolted to it and unbolted from it. Sold
post #32 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

^^^ That's what i like to hear. Haha! I have heard from different people over the years that spacers kill wheel bearings, but physics somewhat disputes that. With spacers rigid mounted to the back of a wheel, it is the exact same thing as having a wheel that measures the same diameter, width, and backspacing (including spacer), mounted directly to the hub. It's not spacers that cause more wear on wheel bearings, but rather is is wider wheels in general. The one exception to the rule being skinny wheels with big spacers, will naturally be harder on wheel bearings. So more or less, the way i see it, the factor that really matters is position of the center line of the wheel in relation to the mounting surface of the hub. The farther away the center line from the hub, the greater the stress.
post #33 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

I believe you're referring to the scrub radius?

Moving a wheel out without any other changes will put more stress on the ball joints as well.

post #34 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

I am referring to offset of a wheel, which does effect the scrub radius. To my understanding, scrub radius is the relation between the center line of the tire where it contacts the ground, and the theoretical line on the axis of the upper and lower ball joint. And i totally agree, two wheels exactly the same, one with a spacer will certainly cause more stress on ball joints, as well as wheel bearings, control arm pivot points, and reduce the effectiveness of springs and shocks and sway bars.
post #35 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Here is a video of my second run from sunday, i forgot to start the camera on the first one. You can hear on certain corners where my front tires rub, and you can kind of get an idea of how much roll i currently have with stock springs and sways. Please excuse the terrible squealing noise, i am trying out a new camera that our parts supplier is selling and it has that noise in every video for some reason.

rentedmule likes this.
post #36 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Here are the results for the day as well. I placed 45th of 61 entries, which i am happy with for the first go round. Plan on moving up through the season though.

Madison Sports Car Club Final Raw Time Results, #2 - Jefferson Speedway - Sun 06-05-2016 Timed Entries: 61 Raw Pos. Pos. Class # Driver Car Model Raw Time Diff. From 1st 1m 1 AP 153 Gehren Rall 2008 Honda S2000 CR 40.845 0.000 0.000 2m 1 CM 44 Vincent Pizzo 1996 BMW M3 41.701 0.856 0.856 3m 1 DP 712 Kyle Hemp 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS 42.217 0.516 1.372 4m 2 CM 19 Andy Schuessler 2006 Mazda MX5 42.361 0.144 1.516 5m 1 BP 77 Eric Kreynsberg 2006 Honda S2000 42.819 0.458 1.974 6 3 CM 986 Hans Villanueva 2013 Scion FRS 43.491 0.672 2.646 7 1 EP 94 Bill Sand 1994 Mazda Miata 43.631 0.140 2.786 8m 1 GS 151 Jeffrey Sachse 2016 Ford Focus ST 43.668 0.037 2.823 9m 1 BS 337 Mark Ketterer 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX 43.813 0.145 2.968 10 4 CM 28 Andrei Kiamer 2013 Scion FR-S 43.855 0.042 3.010 11 1 GP 137 Ryan Wiederholt 2004 Dodge SRT-4 43.883 0.028 3.038 12m 1 CR 383 Nathan Zach 2003 Ford Focus 43.978 0.095 3.133 13m 1 CP 13 Justin Tlapa 2003 Nissan 350z 44.230 0.252 3.385 14 1 CS 410 Jeffery Fritz 2013 Scion FR-S 44.566 0.336 3.721 15m 1 AM 114 Matt Benkeske 2001 Chevy Corvette 44.791 0.225 3.946 16m 2 EP 141 Chris Mellenberger 2001 Mazda Miata 44.951 0.160 4.106 17m 1 FS 91 Erik Hutchins 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 8 45.009 0.058 4.164 18m 2 CS 109 Reid Halvorson 2003 Nissan 350Z 45.574 0.565 4.729 19m 2 FS 73 Jason Cambell 2011 BMW 335d 45.730 0.156 4.885 20m 1 FP 637 Nick Schultz 2013 Chevy Camaro SS 45.788 0.058 4.943 21 1 AS 777 Sam Arndt 2007 Pontiac Solstise GXP 45.924 0.136 5.079 22m 1 DS 127 Michael Bridge 2008 VW R32 46.385 0.461 5.540 23m 1 FM 102 Thomas Lawson 1986 Nissan 300ZX-T 46.415 0.030 5.570 24 2 CR 713 Nick Steffes 1994 Honda Civic 46.424 0.009 5.579 25 2 BP 704 John Hermanson 2001 Honda S2000 46.440 0.016 5.595 26 3 FS 371 Adam Wiederholt 2004 BMW 535i 46.627 0.187 5.782 27 1 HP 40 Michael Redmond 2003 Honda Insight 46.659 0.032 5.814 28m 1 GM 42 TJ Snyder 1999 Doge Neon 46.677 0.018 5.832 29 1 HS 12 Scott Fransee 1996 VW GTI 46.703 0.026 5.858 30m 3 CR 83 Pete Zach 2003 Ford Focus 46.995 0.292 6.150 31m 2 GP 72 Rob Miller 2015 VW CC 46.999 0.004 6.154 32 2 GS 702 Kent Kallsen 2015 VW GTI 47.015 0.016 6.170 33m 1 ES 311 Andrew Field 1992 Mazda Miata 47.048 0.033 6.203 34m 3 GP 121 Nate Thompson 2007 VW GTI 47.151 0.103 6.306 35 2 HS 441 Chris Lawson 2014 Nissian Juke 47.246 0.095 6.401 36 1 HM 188 Omer Duyar 1989 Nissan 240SX 47.386 0.140 6.541 37 1 IS 341 Cris Carpenter 1981 VW Scirocco 47.455 0.069 6.610 38m 3 HS 82 Dan Beyler 2011 Mazda 6 47.762 0.307 6.917 39 2 DP 710 Justin Minor 2004 VW R32 47.777 0.015 6.932 40 3 CS 721 Alex Heymeth 2105 VW CC 48.282 0.505 7.437 41 4 FS 139 Chet Prust 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 48.342 0.060 7.497 42m 2 ES 27 Tyler Trentin 1999 Mazda Miata 48.413 0.071 7.568 43m 1 XS 701 Paul Shain 2013 Porsche Carrera S 48.731 0.318 7.886 44m 2 DS 927 Dean Bride 2008 VW R32 48.925 0.194 8.080 45 1 IM 1 Tyler Johnson 2000 Chevy S10 48.930 0.005 8.085 46 2 FM 123 Dan Lawson 1984 Chevy Camaro 49.019 0.089 8.174 47m 4 HS 64 Patrick Becker 2004 Nissan Sentra 49.304 0.285 8.459 48m 1 BR 11 Michael Issaacson 2002 Mini Cooper S 49.621 0.317 8.776 49 2 BS 706 David Kenne 2009 Audi S5 49.812 0.191 8.967 50 5 HS 21 David Vogel 2015 Ford Fiesta ST 50.296 0.484 9.451 51m 3 ES 454 Brandon Hooker 1997 Mazda Miata 51.299 1.003 10.454 52m 2 IS 703 Paul Oleksyn 2005 Toyota Corolla 51.824 0.525 10.979 53m 1 EM 129 Rena Noel 1997 Mazda miata 51.870 0.046 11.025 54 6 HS 707 Sean Catlin 1974 BMW 2002 51.895 0.025 11.050 55 3 DP 711 Derrick Sonneberg 2004 VW R32 52.984 1.089 12.139 56 3 IS 705 Colin Cabelka 2008 Honda Civic 53.127 0.143 12.282 57 4 IS 709 Shawn Brittnacher 2011 Ford Focus 53.705 0.578 12.860 58 4 ES 708 Jim Teach 1990 Mazda Miata 53.780 0.075 12.935 59 2 IM 58 Roger Ringelstetter 1965 Corvair Corsa Turbo 53.939 0.159 13.094 60 5 IS 714 Sam Marwitz 2002 Ford Taurus 54.400 0.461 13.555 61 2 FP 115 Dan Hoffman 1995 Ford F350 56.064 1.664 15.219
post #37 of 601 Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

wow...so that didn't turn out anything like it looked in the preview. Here is a link for anyone who would like to look. http://madisonsportscarclub.com/node/404
post #38 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 AM
I'm super serial

Garage

You could probably save a bit of weight by removing those shin destroyers on the front and running an aluminum bumper with or without a cover. I saw earlier in the thread you were planning on running a passenger bucket from an S truck... I'd suggest just getting some junkyard buckets out of an early '90s Japanese car, I'm using Celica seats, they're much lighter and comfortable not to mention actual bolsters.

post #39 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

HAHA! you like those things? A previous owner pulled it behind a motor home i guess. But i do agree, those things have to go. What vehicles came with an aluminum bumper? Is that what would be on my 95 blazer? I was planning to swap that on soon just for the fact that it is straight and has a lower valence. I may look into the seat from a jap car for the passenger side. The driver side will be getting the Kirkey aluminum seat that i have left over from when i did dirt track for a couple years.
post #40 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm super serial

Garage

AFAIK there aren't any S trucks with aluminum bumpers from the factory, but I've been toying with the idea of running something like this behind my Bravada cover.

Or I've seen Mustang guys take the bumpers out completely and just using the plastic covers to make it looks like they are there. I'm not that brave though.

If I had a garage and more money there's a lot of things I'd try.

post #41 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Oh, i see what you mean. Have something in there to keep it safe and legal, but custom fit off of some other vehicle. So are there any s series vehicles that have full covers that could make the front end look good with having something like this under it?
post #42 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Bravadas and 98+ Sonomas I believe. You could keep the S10 grill/lights with a 98-01 Bravada cover, you just have to trim the pieces that stick off the top.

post #43 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Go Vols!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps2345 Send a message via Yahoo to jps2345

BMWs have aluminum bumpers under their covers, with vertical mounting bolts that thread into the bumper itself...might not be a hard retro.

I second the Japanese car seats OR mid to late 90s 3series seats, some had adjustable bolsters and leg supports.

I raced my Sentra for 2 full seasons of AutoX, the video is probably the best training tool you can have, read about not crossing your hands while you are driving, it was the hardest habit for me to break but I felt like once I got used to it I could react to turns faster since I knew my hands would be in nearly the same spot most of the time. Get one of the Pro guys to ride along with you(as many as possible) for atleast one of your runs, there are so many things I picked up that way.

They truck looks good with the drop and tire setup

Old Faithful, I call it the MesS-10 - '92 S-10 RC 2.5L MT

Totaled - '91 S-15 Jimmy ST 2DR 4x4 MT
Sold - '92 S-10 Blazer LT Tahoe 4DR 4x4 AT
Sold - '95 GMC Jimmy SLS 4dr 4x4 AT
post #44 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Bravadas and 98+ Sonomas I believe. You could keep the S10 grill/lights with a 98-01 Bravada cover, you just have to trim the pieces that stick off the top.
Ok cool! I'll have to hit up a few scrap yards around and see what i find. I actually have a full front clip from a 95 blazer that will probably be going on my truck, just for the fact that its all straight. At the very least, the fenders and hood and core support anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2345 View Post
BMWs have aluminum bumpers under their covers, with vertical mounting bolts that thread into the bumper itself...might not be a hard retro.

I second the Japanese car seats OR mid to late 90s 3series seats, some had adjustable bolsters and leg supports.

I raced my Sentra for 2 full seasons of AutoX, the video is probably the best training tool you can have, read about not crossing your hands while you are driving, it was the hardest habit for me to break but I felt like once I got used to it I could react to turns faster since I knew my hands would be in nearly the same spot most of the time. Get one of the Pro guys to ride along with you(as many as possible) for atleast one of your runs, there are so many things I picked up that way.

They truck looks good with the drop and tire setup
I actually have access to a 94 325i that is being parted out. I will have to check into the bumper, and maybe the seats. I will have to review my videos a little closer, see if i can figure out my mistakes and lost time. And i will see if i can get someone to ride along with me next time around. And thanks for the compliments! I like driving it so much more now that all the suspension is tight.
post #45 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

It's even harder not to cross your hands with manual steering, autocrossing with it would be interesting to say the least.

post #46 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Oh yea, i bet. Does the manual steering come back to center really quick by itself?
post #47 of 601 Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Oh yea, it feels real nice on back roads but you'd really be doing the shuffle in autocross. It's 6 turns lock to lock.

post #48 of 601 Old 06-09-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

haha! Yea, that would be a serious handful. The more i drive my truck, the more i am thinking one of the next mods will be an updated steering shaft. Flaming river u-joint or something similar. The steering just feels like it has a huge dead space in the center but once it begins to react, its fairly quick and crisp.
post #49 of 601 Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

A common upgrade is the zq8 steering box. Other boxes fit as well, with various valving and ratios.

post #50 of 601 Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 PM

truck looks good! just need to do something with the front bumper! the rust is just weight reduction and speed holes! i like the direction you're going with this

instagram: cb7733
00' 4.3 Xtreme | 13' Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page