S-10 Forum banner

Megathred: Countdown to eS10tion

45K views 573 replies 37 participants last post by  nfamus10 
#1 ·
After a long hiatus from tinkering with S-series,and just now getting back into them it’s starting to become more then a passing thing again I figure a new thread was in order to stop spamming the forum.

I’ll start off with what I’m working on now,and add trucks as I work on them. I bounce around a lot nowadays on projects,so I’ll try to mark which trucks are which with the pics,because it can get hard to tell dismantle,especially since I currently have 3 Tan Xcabs I’m working on. It’s also becoming more difficult to find good used parts or cheap parts trucks..with various Facebook markets just locating them for sale isn’t as easy as the Craigslist or newspaper add times...always looking for those puzzle pieces tho:haha:

Tan ‘00 Chevrolet 3door Xcab Stepside. 4.3,Auto,Power options.

I originally purchased this truck for parts. Mechanically it’s a really good running truck! No ML’s lit on the dash,shifts out nice,..body&interior wise it’s a piece of shit! I really don’t like to let my trucks sit indefinitely,and become more&more dilapidated over time. The truck is drivable,so some stabilization is in order to keep it from falling apart till I decide its future.

Interior:

abused&neglected with busted out speaker grilles,dash panel,cut wiring,and ruminants of a rigged sound system.

Rain water leaking in on passenger side floor.

Sagging driver’s door that won’t close.

Driver’s window off track,and damaged sash

Bad crack in windshield

I replaced the Driver’s door with a junkyard blazer door of the same color. Couple slight blemishes,but pretty straight,with surprisingly nice hinge holes!

Now I can close the door!!!

The next big issue is the water on the floor,wet carpet,smell,...breathing mold:haha: I’m not going to remove a crumbling dash to fix the leak,then reinstall it...so enter

’03 Chevrolet 3door Xcab fleetside,2.2,manual,Cruise,up level interior

The body is a total loss. Interior trashed,not a straight body panel on it. Crankcase full of mix...BUT the price was right at $250,and behind the 99-01 Dash bezel us a near perfect double din dash!! A very rare item for Florida!!

It also has all its accessories including a newer AC system&Alternator! Plus,a smooth feeling manual trans..which will come into play in yet another truck I have I’ve been sterling parts off of for two years:haha: I’ll get to that one later.

Back to the Tan ‘00 Xcab I pulled its dash to see all what’s going to be needed to get this thing to not be a complete shitbix. plus the heater didn’t work! Appears the core is completely stopped up!! Couldn’t even get through it with compressed air.

With the dash removed I ran a hose over the truck,and sat inside. The water was coming in through two places. The fresh air duct,and the heater box

Now I’m waiting to go back to Florida to pillage parts from my donor truck then when I’m back in Bama I’ll tackle the windshield that’s coming outta this

White ’97 Isuzu Hombre parts truck originally obtained from Davey2cat.

Then I can finally scrap what’s left of the Hombre..it’s been long stripped! I also have some nice tan body parts in my garage for this ‘00 I’m working once I get it sealed up,and heat.

See less See more
#2 ·
These trucks look pretty dilapidated in most regards... "well driven" I suppose. What kind of parts are you really finding on these base-modelish trucks that makes the effort and storage of multiple junkers worth while?

I'd be curious to see your actual "project truck" that you're salvaging this stuff for. A double din dash is by no means rare. 80-100$ for a mint condition not-cracked one typically...

#4 ·
:haha: yeah,I chuckled a little reading that too.

Idk how long I’m gonna hang out. I was getting bored in Florida. I’ve already gotten the hint I’m not welcome on Facebook commenting on pretty much anything,lol. I get banned for hurting someone’s feelings only to come back,and get banned for something I posted a year ago that hurt someone else’s feelings.:haha:

If the weather behaves I’ll be dismantling that tan 03 this week,cut up,and off to recycling,get those wheels&tires on Craigslist. Get this Tan ‘00 tagged up to daily so I can tear into my old white truck I pressed those mounts for as well as some over due maint.

I’m still hunting a crew to drop on the ‘00’s frame&drivetrain. In the meantime I’ll get some of these “multiple junkers” outta the way:haha:

#10 ·
I haven’t been on Facebook in a month. I joined a few groups long ago,but left them fairly quickly for the same reason you just pointed out. Difference between me&them is I know my trucks are pieces of shít:haha:

Got the windshield out of the White ‘97 Hombre!

Was actually easier then I thought it would be! Removing the back windows is a lot more sketchy.

Also pulled a majority of the interior from the ‘00 Tan S10 Xcab.

Hopefully next weekend’s weather acts right. I’d like to get this windshield glued in,and the ‘03 Dash installed...I have 2 interior choices on hand in graphite I’ll get into another post,probably next week.

#11 ·
:haha:

To keep in the spirit of my old thread..here’s ghost pissing on the garbage from the Tan truck.

I break the seats down..toss the padding&covers in the dumpster,scrap the metal frames...my White ‘01 is already loaded up with everything including the original Tan ‘00 dash frame to dump tomorrow.

I’d like to get at least the trans from the Tan ‘03 this week to start staging the rebuild of the Red ‘00 Sonoma. I’ve got limited time to dismantle it before it starts drawing attention where it’s at.:haha:

#13 ·
Dash harness MIGHT also all be the same on 2wd ‘99 models? I don’t have any ‘99 model trucks anymore,so Idk for sure. I know the ‘98 are different,because they have a fuel level buffer module in the harness just like the 95-97 taped up in the harness behind the glove box. They look like old school lamp drivers that used to be behind the radio on old F-bodies from the 80’s. A printed circuit board in a plastic sleeve...

The 4wd trucks have wiring for the 4wd button,so I know they’re different,and crewcabs have Blazer Dash harnesses..even the wiring for the rear wiper&hatch is clicked into the delete plate.

95-97 are the best to mess with wiring. The ones I’ve dismantled all have the same main body&dash harnesses with jumper harnesses that add options..power windows,4wd,..all that is just a jumper harnesses away. My ‘97 has a 2 Door blazer accessory harness plugged into the Xcab body harness.

See,..I’m rambling:haha:

Anyways,some goodies I got for some of my trucks I forgot to post!!

NOS box body blazer center caps for the one of my trucks I found on eBay. I have a new set of ZQ8’s to go with them..Idk which truck I’m putting them on tho.

Genuine GM door pins&bushings for all my trucks

Ebay control arms&engine mount inserts for my:haha: for my 01 Olympic White Xcab

Already pressed them into brackets I had laying around too..just waiting to get this ‘00 Tan truck good enough to take to Florida,and daily while I rebuild my ‘01

Going to the wrecking yard this weekend to hunt parts:D

#15 ·
They feel good. They’re duplicates of the originals from what I can tell. I have used OE ones off trucks,and they feel the same,look the same,..even down to the welds. it was actually cheaper to buy these then to rebuild originals too!! When I install them I plan to do a little review on them...fitment,quality,and whatnot.

I’m just going to use a razor to clean up the glass followed by glass cleaner. Unless you have a better suggestion? it’s what i did in the past on back windows I’ve done to get rid of those shitty sliders that obstruct your rear view...hate those fùckin things!

I’m waiting on the adhesive now. I also bought it on eBay:haha: I got two 10.5oz tubes of Dow U-428 urethane for right under $17 shipped...I know,I’m cheap,lol

#19 ·
Yeah,I’ll do that on the body. On the glass I’ll clean it completely up.

What it is mang?!? What you know good?

I need to jump back on here for a moment and update my shit too.

Nice to see you’re alive and still doing s10 shit. Lol
Tighten up every chance you get!!

Fückin’ Throwback Thursday Y’all!!

First I started with a ‘00 Sonoma Xcab Auto with a running 2.2 VIN 4 pull w/a cracked head I swapped to a VIN 5 5speed truck..here’s the VIN 4 being birthed!

I got that truck all fixed up,and converted,and had the original engine sitting in my shop,and came across this nice ‘99 body for $300!

Literally 2 days later I come across this fücked up ‘99 base VIN 4 5speed that ran with a rod knock for $350!!

And it was on!!

That also answers the question of what I get outta these raggedy ass near base junkers!:haha: I sold those 31x10.50’s on steelies for $200. I crushed the tan truck for $150,.I bought those calipers for $8each,pads for $10,and shocks for $35 from a place called API at buyer prices:D I ended up selling the completed truck for $2,800 after I drove it for a year!!:haha:

#21 ·
Lol,back in the day all I drove was customer abandoned vehicles I got for cheap,..and I used to get a LOT of them,...would fix them,and drive them till something better got abandoned,lol. Then sell them. It was basically free transportation.

I’ve had car notes,and bought brand new vehicles in the past...going back to free vehicles,and no car note is much more enjoyable,and I’m always trading up to a better truck. This way o get to pick what I’m driving too...before it was whatever,..Plymouth station wagon,Volkswagen wagon,Nissan maxima,...Ford Taurus:haha:

All I had time to do this weekend with the crappy weather was cut the rear window out of the ‘97 Isuzu Hombre

Allegedly we’re going to be around 70’s next weekend,so I hope to get the Tan ‘00’s windshield cut out,and the Hombre’s glued in its place:D hopefully,...

#24 ·
You think two 10.5oz tubes is enough? Looking up online it says “recommend 2 tubes for most windshields”

Unfortunately I’ll won’t be working on that this weekend. My 01 extended cab’s transmission failed on me this morning. Have no gears,but manually shifted 2nd,and OD. Was shifting hard into second yesterday,and slipping in 3rd for about a month,lol. I’m home in Florida,and my spare Transmission is in Mobile...so,..looks like I’m going to try to limp her to Mobile for a 3 hour ride!! Fun stuff! So,guess I’ll be doing a automatic trans replacement write up,lol.

#26 ·
Good info on the harnesses. I bought a 99 base longbed last month with a 5 speed that could use power upgrades and buckets. I was thinking a whole Bravada would make a good donor to swap in a tach cluster, swap interior bits like power doors and a short OHC, the double sunvisors, wiring harnesses, the Olds double DIN and also have a 3.73 rear that should be the 8.625" 10 bolt and rear disc, being wider wouldn't bother me at all. Replaced my 94 S10 with a '92 Olds Custom Cruiser 3 years ago with all the right options for me, that car is a blast to drive.

#27 ·
99 is an interesting truck to try to upgrade. I’ve had several. They have their own electronics&wiring unique to that model year...so does a 98.

Basically,you’d need a 99 s10 pickup as a donor. A suv harnesses is completely different...it would take a lot of work to make it function correctly,..I’d assume you’d want keyless entry too,and all the Door sense to work properly..

Here’s where the countdown to extinction part comes in..for those with Hombre’s yours just got a little more rare:D

Ghost inspecting progress.

#29 ·
Still got it!:haha:

I still have the pieces to assemble it too. Ended up moving to Destin,and it got abandoned with the S-series I didn’t sell...I’ve been visiting the old place on the weekends trying to get them back on the road,the yard,house,and garage cleaned up for my kids who live there now while they go to Spring Hill&University of South Alabama...got 8 years&a tight budget before I sell this house,so no rush:haha: maybe I’ll drive it to Florida one day? really wish it was younger tho. If it was a ‘00 I’d be more interested in it...I prefer the 00-03 sweet spot on these S-series.

I seen you sold your xtreme!! Like the Jeep tho! my daughter wants an Unlimited 4 door as a College Graduation gift. Hopefully they bring that 4.0 back instead of the caravan engine by then:haha: