4Likes
  • 1 Post By oldeerslayer
  • 1 Post By BravadaX
  • 1 Post By Terribletrux
  • 1 Post By Juntao_Dw

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

AWD Xtreme Build

So I’ve got an idea but could use some insight from some people that might know a bit more about what I’m wanting to do. The plan is to turn my Xtreme into a Xtreme Syclone. However I want to LS swap my truck and still make it AWD with a 6 speed manual. I don’t know what manual transmission I should use not do I know what AWD transfer case will mount to that transmission. Any insight would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 AM
B4U Task Force

Re: AWD Xtreme Build

What is your mechanical background/abilities? What kind of budget can you throw at it. If your a high school kid working at McBurger flippers, the chances of this coming off are pretty slim.

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, but a lot of high end plans die on the vine.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #3 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

So I’ve always done my own mechanical work on my cars and most of the body work as far as making body kits fit. I just don’t do paint or dent repair. I haven’t ever dealt with drivetrain repairs or swaps so this is new territory for me but I’m pretty sure as long as I know what I need I can do any fab work to make it operational. As far as my budget goes it’ll take some time but I’m a quality tech in a manufacturing warehouse so saving the money to buy the necessary parts won’t be a problem.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Old Fart

I haven't done this conversion but I do know you will need the front diff out of an Astro van with AWD. All Syclones were automatics I think so I don't know what manual and AWD transfer case to use for the conversion. hopefully, someone else knows what might work to do a manual. I thought about doing the same to my Xtreme, but came to my senses and realized how much money it would take to do it right and decided to just try and save up for just an LS swap in the future. I bought an AWD turbo car for my adrenalin rush! Good luck!
post #5 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 AM
Been there Done it

The first hurdle you'll have to overcome is the fact your truck is currently 2wd. To make it AWD you'll need to swap the body on to a 4WD S10 chassis that has the same wheelbase. By using drop keys on the torsion bars and rear blocks you will be able to lower it somewhat.
As far as adapting the AWD 90-98 Borg-Warner 4472 transfer case out of a Bravada or Astro van goes, try contacting Advance Adapters to see if they make a kit to fit that TC to a T56. The Syclones were automatics IIRC. You may have to settle for a 5 speed. A 4wd NV3500 would bolt right up to the Bravada TC with the right 4wd GM adapter. IDk if it's the 5 bolt or 6 bolt one. Depends on what year trans and TC. Try getting it with the TC.
You don't want the NV 136GM 99-05 TC as those are computer controlled electrics.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
I haven't done this conversion but I do know you will need the front diff out of an Astro van with AWD. All Syclones were automatics I think so I don't know what manual and AWD transfer case to use for the conversion. hopefully, someone else knows what might work to do a manual. I thought about doing the same to my Xtreme, but came to my senses and realized how much money it would take to do it right and decided to just try and save up for just an LS swap in the future. I bought an AWD turbo car for my adrenalin rush! Good luck!

Yeah I’m sure there is a way to do it but like I said in my earlier post. I haven’t ever dealt with anything as far as driveline or transmission issues or swaps so I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I know it’s just a transfer case that is used to make it AWD and I know there are transfer cases for manual transmissions but I have to figure out which manual transmission I want/need to use and then locate a transfer case for said transmission. The rest I can piece together pretty easily.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 01:58 AM
Been there Done it

When you're done the only part of your Xtreme that will be original is the sheet metal. I might be easier to find a 4WD 4.3 5 speed RCSB and just put the Xtreme kit on it. Then do the AWD swap. Then lower it. Then do the LS swap. Rather than completely taking apart your entire truck all at once.
goes2fast likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

^ this.
goes2fast likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
I turned mine into an Oldsmobile, bitches love Oldsmobiles.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM

second a this
doing all at once will be a big pill to swallow
heres what I would do

find a 4WD chassis
get all the AWD stuff you need to convert the 4WD
put this all together while chassis is out
swap the motor out to LS
swap the entire chassis over from your 2WD

IIRC GM did a prototype of an LT1 AWD using a Sy as a basis
you might want to research how they did that and substitute the LS for the LT1(old style one)
post #10 of 19 Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM

This conversion has been done before. There are threads about it here at SSF as well as other boards. All of them start out with a 4x4 chassis & build up from there.

Here is an example - https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f307/...ersion-515441/

HINT: The 1GEN & 2GEN truck frames are nearly identical, so most of the information from the thread posted above should be of value.

Would be cheaper to find a clapped out 1GEN 4x4 & build up its frame, Then swap your body onto it.
Mostizzle likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Been there Done it

There is one caveat.
This is going to cost a lot and take along time.
It would also be helpful if you are a reasonably experienced mechanic. You are taking on a big project.
Hopefully you have a well equipped shop and can devote one stall to this for a couple years.
Not trying to discourage you. Go for it.
Just keep in mind most simple LS swaps (if there is such a thing) take longer than originally planned and end up costing more than originally budgeted.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Im pretty sure the floor in the 4wd is raised in the transmission tunnel to accommodate the transfer case too. maybe easier to get a 4wd build it and stick an xtreme kit on it.
goes2fast likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 AM
Been there Done it

You bring up a good point. I've never tried swapping a 2wd body onto a 4wd truck, but was under the impression all same year, same model S10 cabs were the same. IDK??? Guys commonly swap 2wd cabs in place of rusted out 4wd cabs. Never heard mention of any floor issues.

Quote:
maybe easier to get a 4wd build it and stick an xtreme kit on it.
No maybe about it.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM

I guess it bolts on, but the floor in my 4wd blazer def has a strange hump in the trans tunnel, that is not as prominent as the two s10's i have, but maybe its a pick up to blazer thing?
post #15 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally I had this same idea but for now, I've got a 4x4 rcsb that will be getting the early bravada transfer case and axle tube soon. I'll drive it until the end of summer then start the LS swap. All of said goodies are sitting next to it now just waiting on time.

All of the research I did showed exactly what is mentioned above. WAY too much work to start with 2wd. I actually picked up a second rcsb 4x4 that needs some body work just because it was so hard for me to find one that wasn't completely rusted out. Hopefully I'll build that into something cool also.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Black Widow Wannabe

I also had this idea at one point, I found the trouble with the trans was that there is only one company I am aware of that makes a t-56 magnum or TR-6060 that uses a 4x4 tailhousing that would allow you to mate it with and AWD transfer case. Look up Rockland Standard Gear Tranzilla, if money is no object it would be an awesome little truck.

Other than that swapping the AWD parts over from an Astro to a 4x4 chassis should be relatively straight forward. Then you get to deal with the usual 4x4 ls swap issues of differential/engine clearance problems.

Good luck!
post #17 of 19 Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Check out Project: Crew Cab V8 4x4 6speed. https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/p...-speed-609746/

T56 with an adapter for s10 transfer case. https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/p...l#post10995602

Might be some more useful information about getting a t56 and a transfer case to mesh.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 AM
Professional Insultant

Send a message via MSN to TokoDragon

I have a 2wd auto cab on my 5-speed ZR2 to fix damage from a rollover, the floors are different, but not enough to matter. Only difference is 2wds have a smaller hump over the catalytic converter on the passenger side but it still fits fine.

I also converted my 1992 4x4 to AWD using astro van parts, bravada parts are a better choice they use smaller pinion flanges, astro stuff comes in 2 sizes and the larger size hardly leaves a pinky width between the flange and transmission, and I had to put a jack under the floor and push it up to clear the front shaft. Its a 5 speed now, maybe some time I'll get a rear mounted t56 and use a camaro bell housing on the front and an adapter to mount a transfercase to the back.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 AM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
When you're done the only part of your Xtreme that will be original is the sheet metal. I might be easier to find a 4WD 4.3 5 speed RCSB and just put the Xtreme kit on it. Then do the AWD swap. Then lower it. Then do the LS swap. Rather than completely taking apart your entire truck all at once.
I havenít seen a 4wd 5speed truck for sale in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
I turned mine into an Oldsmobile, bitches love Oldsmobiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page