S-10 Forum banner

No Voltage To Compressor 2.2

972 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Brickman 
#1 ·
2000 S10, 2.2

With this strange "winter" I needed to use my A/C only to find out the clutch is not engaging. I did the following.

I checked the low side pressure, it is 70 psi. it was about 65-70 outside.

Checked fuses and relays, all are good (even swapped around the relays)

Checked ohms on the compressor coil, good, not open.

The black wire side of the compressor coil connector looked blackened and melted, I pierced the wire a few inches from the plug and I still had continuity.

I undid all the tape all the way to the thermostat and I think I messed up the diode, I thought it was a wire splice as some models may have not come with A/C or something, but it fell apart and I think I have it back together (bought another plug with diode on eBay and is coming in) I dont think the diode would cause no voltage?

Tried to bypass the sensor by the accumulator. It has three wires, tried jumping two then all three and caused a P0122 pedal switch and P0452 evap pressure sensor low input. Im sure I should of not done that, but codes went away after I undid my 3 wire jumper.

When I unplug the connector the RPMs drop and then RPMs rise a bit when I plug it back in, so the PCM must be telling the engine that the compressor will be engaged, but I still get no voltage to the plug. (sensor switch must be good then)
(I get 5 volts on one wire, a ground, and I forgot what the 3rd wire was, im pretty sure it was 5v)

Hit compressor, PCM, and fusebox, nothing changes

kick truck, nothing

IDK what to do, at least it's not 100 degrees out, but this is the worst problem I ever had with an A/C system.

Only thing I can think of is that the black wire to compressor shorted something out? I tried tracing the wires but it goes down behind the alternator into a black abyss

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I sure could use some :)

I put a jumper wire on the A/C relay socket. Put the wire from the 12v start/run to the wire for the compressor and got it running, removed the wire and quickly placed the relay back and now it's working like it should...

I hate when that happens, will see how it works tomorrow.

#6 ·
I originally did then swapped relays before jumping it.

Still working, even in todays 45 degree weather (not that I need A/C today :laugh:

IDK if it is related, but ever since I find the truck starts quick like it always did, lately it would have to turn over for about 4 seconds to start, and now it starts in a second.

weird.

#9 ·
I need to fix a rust spot behind the wheel well and will check for any grounds down by the engine.

You may have had some corrosion on the terminals of the relays, fuel pump and a/c, With you pulling them and then reinserting them you have scraped away the corrosion, thus now making connection. A/C working and fuel pump working better-quicker for the better starting issue. Glad you got it going.

Bonestock

Sounds about the most logical explanation. I used to keep the truck in a garage, but at my new house I have to park it outside most of the time.

#8 ·
You may have had some corrosion on the terminals of the relays, fuel pump and a/c, With you pulling them and then reinserting them you have scraped away the corrosion, thus now making connection. A/C working and fuel pump working better-quicker for the better starting issue. Glad you got it going.

Bonestock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.