Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saipan (!)
Mad Max is offline
Re: Motornuts paint shop(staring Motornut, as Motornut)
The "issues" he was talking about look like poor surface prep - as in fish eyes from oil / grease / silicone / wax on the bare metal.
He should have wiped the surface down with wax and grease remover - almost a critical step in the prep.
And never use a rag for the final wipe down. Always use a tack cloth. *** Rags leave behind fibers.
Painting the first shop race car: A guy had a $500 German hi tech HVLP gravity feed unit. He thought that was the key to painting...
Ok, so the gun was beautiful.
Same results with a cardboard freight gun...
It's all in correct paint mix/viscosity, watching the paint go on, and compensating for temperature / paint flow.
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.