3Likes
  • 1 Post By fletcher0780
  • 1 Post By Rhotpursuit
  • 1 Post By 98Sonosls

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
EZA

Radiator for LS Swap

I have the Vette radiator that was recommended by JTR for the sbc swap. Is this suitable for the L33 in my 95 Sonoma? Also, the 2.2 radiator has two projections on the bottom that fit into rubber biscuits. What did you guys use to cushion your radiator? Should I just let these biscuits go with with the radiator since the vette radiator doesn't the projections on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 PM

Re: Radiator for LS Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZA View Post
I have the Vette radiator that was recommended by JTR for the sbc swap. Is this suitable for the L33 in my 95 Sonoma? Also, the 2.2 radiator has two projections on the bottom that fit into rubber biscuits. What did you guys use to cushion your radiator? Should I just let these biscuits go with with the radiator since the vette radiator doesn't the projections on it.
I'm using my factory 4.3 radiator along with Chrysler Concorde e-fans in my 6.0 swapped 2000 ZR2. Even during 90° days last summer with the AC going the temp never moved.
goes2fast likes this.

2000 S10 ZR2: 6.0 LQ4 with 243 heads and LS6 cam, 4L80e, NVG246, 7.5' Snoway plow, work in progress.
00 Chevy S10 ZR2 | 97 BMW M3 | 96 VW Passat TDI | 87 Porsche 930 | 92 Toyota Pickup |
post #3 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
EZA

Don't happen to have the overall dimensions of the 4.3 radiator do you? I had the vette radiator for a previous swap I will use it if I can.

post #4 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 PM
B4U Task Force

I think Rockauto lists dimensions.
jayyk31 likes this.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #5 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 AM

Rock Auto lists many dimensions. Most fans that are listed they have measurements on them and also some radiators...

-NEW DAILY. '86 Blazer 54k miles!!!
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f20/my-new-gem-815417/

'92 EXTENDED Cab 408 LSx t56 Magnum!!!
Build thread-
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...56-n-a-665850/

-2000 RCSB 2.2 5 speed.... SOLD!!!
post #6 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Old Fart

Garage

I picked up a factory style heavy duty 4.3 radiator on Ebay for $41.11 new, hard to beat!

Too Much Horsepower is ALMOST ENOUGH!
"I have a car-sickness. I need to be checked into the HENRY Ford Clinic." -Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
post #7 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
EZA

In my search, I did see one post where the vette radiator was used, so I'll a least see if it's going to work before buying anything.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

You can probably just use this style at the bottom... go look around the junkyard and find something that works.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
EZA

Yep, those are the types but if I move the radiator forward I will probably have to make a pair of brackets to anchor the radiator at the base. Fortunately, I have some shelf brackets the will fit perfect with minor modification. If I use them I will post a picture of them, they should work with any radiator with the same type of base.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 PM

I have a 03 4.3 radiator out

what measurement do you need
post #11 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 AM

I had the C4 radiator in my 94 with a tbi 350 and electric fans and wasn't real impressed. Got caught in a traffic jam on the freeway on July 4th during some Harley Anniversary event in Milwaukee. Maybe 90° and I had to shut off the A/C because the temp was getting too high. My daughter stood in the middle of the grid locked Interstate Highway and directed folks out of the way so we could exit and let it cool down.
That rad is sitting in my collection of old parts now.
I have the same rad in my 91 tpi 350 Corvette and never had an issue.

To support that rad I just cut and bent some 5/8 band iron to the shape of the rubber mounts manbearpig showed above and welded them to the lower part of the support. Drilled a couple holes for the nipples so they'd stay in. On the top I just made them 2 or 3 " longer past the curve and bolted them to the upper support after drilling a couple additional holes in each on the flat extended end. This was done after some carving on the support to recess the rad a bit. Actually had enough room to fit a engine driven flex-fan for a while. Was using a Taurus 3.8 fan when it overheated. It fit the Vette rad much better than the Chrysler dual fans. Which are an almost exact fit for the 4.3 rads.
post #12 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 01:24 AM

I run a 2000 Cavalier radiator with the stock 5.3 in my Blazer. Same Height and width as the Corvette Swap Radiator that JTR suggests. The Cav is thicker though. Also has a built in single speed electric fan that I'm also using. The 2000 Grand Am has the same core size with a built in 2 fan dual speed. I'll be trying that out on my in progress 5.3 swapped 92.

About 20k miles on my Blazer's swap with no cooling issues. Sits at the 210° these engines were designed for all day long. I don't have A/C, but have driven her hard on twisty roads.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
EZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime-dozen View Post
I have a 03 4.3 radiator out

what measurement do you need
Went to Rock Auto as suggested and got the measurements. Thanks guys good suggestions to try if this one doesn't pan out.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
EZA

"Was using a Taurus 3.8 fan when it overheated. It fit the Vette rad much better than the Chrysler dual fans." Any particular year Taurus or just one with a 3.8?
'"
post #15 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

Don't solid mount your radiator to the core support using brackets. First the vibration is hard on the radiator core and will crack it at the tube welds. Second, your core support is steel, the vette rad, is aluminum IIRC. What happens when you bolt steel and aluminum together with a liquid electrolyte (rad fluid). Yes, you'll get galvanic corrosion along the path of electrical flow from anode to cathode.

Ensure the radiator is isolated with rubber grommets/pegs at all 4 corners.

While modern coolant mixes have a good amount of corrosion inhibitor protection in them, following best practices helps avoid issues, otherwise you'll be one of those guys complaining you've gone through 3 radiators in 5 years.

Also... don't ground strap your radiator either. You do not want your radiator being your path to ground for any stray voltage in the system. Direct grouding the engine block and a cylinder head are the best ways to mitigate stray voltage.

Vibration, dissimilar metals, stray voltage. 3 issues, make sure you address all of them or you'll be getting new rads sooner than later.
lsmeandreams likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
EZA

I plan on using rubber insulators, the bracket is to hold the insulator in place, there will be no metal to metal contact with the radiator. Good advice for those that are new to swapping though, it's the little details that make the difference.
post #17 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sonosls View Post
Don't solid mount your radiator to the core support using brackets. First the vibration is hard on the radiator core and will crack it at the tube welds. Second, your core support is steel, the vette rad, is aluminum IIRC. What happens when you bolt steel and aluminum together with a liquid electrolyte (rad fluid). Yes, you'll get galvanic corrosion along the path of electrical flow from anode to cathode.

Ensure the radiator is isolated with rubber grommets/pegs at all 4 corners.

While modern coolant mixes have a good amount of corrosion inhibitor protection in them, following best practices helps avoid issues, otherwise you'll be one of those guys complaining you've gone through 3 radiators in 5 years.

Also... don't ground strap your radiator either. You do not want your radiator being your path to ground for any stray voltage in the system. Direct grouding the engine block and a cylinder head are the best ways to mitigate stray voltage.

Vibration, dissimilar metals, stray voltage. 3 issues, make sure you address all of them or you'll be getting new rads sooner than later.

Its also good advise to test the radiator after an install to see how much voltage it has on it.
Use a good meter that can get down into the milivolts.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZA View Post
"Was using a Taurus 3.8 fan when it overheated. It fit the Vette rad much better than the Chrysler dual fans." Any particular year Taurus or just one with a 3.8?
'"
Don't remember what year. Early 90's? If you weren't so far I'd give it to you. Still sitting in the barn. I'm not a big fan (pun intended) of them. Read somewhere there are many different models of the same basic fan with varying amp draw and cfm of air flow. Biggest problem I saw was that the fan is dead center and inline with the water pump. Any OEM duals will be in a less conflicted location.
On an LSx if you run Vette acce$$ories there's a lot more room because the engine itself is shorter than the Gen1 SBC's I've done.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

V6 Tempo has a very slim motor with a single fan. I have a 4 banger version in my truck and the shroud fits over the radiator perfectly. The cores are pretty much the same size. It's offset to one side too which may or may not help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF15074_TOP_P01__ra_p.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	316341  

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
EZA

I'll be using the "truck" config. unless I decide otherwise. I'll get the engine installed and see what I can do, there seem to be a few options and I'm sure a few that haven't been tried. I live in Florida so the cooling is vital and that includes AC.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-23-2019, 01:59 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime-dozen View Post
Its also good advise to test the radiator after an install to see how much voltage it has on it.
Use a good meter that can get down into the milivolts.
Indeed, any reading on a typical voltmeter/multimeter is too much reading and needs to be addressed, since except for lab-quality stuff, any reading is going to be too much to not cause corrosion.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Hardhead

I see this information posted about testing for residual current once in a while but never see it posted as to HOW to check for it. Those that do it say use a meter. How about posting a HOW TO on what it takes to perform the actual test?

1998 ZR2 extended cab. Lots mods to go!
post #23 of 28 Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM
LS3 Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaw View Post
I see this information posted about testing for residual current once in a while but never see it posted as to HOW to check for it. Those that do it say use a meter. How about posting a HOW TO on what it takes to perform the actual test?
Google how to use a voltmeter... There's no how-to on it because its grade 4 science class level electricity... Did you never do the lightbulb in a circuit thing in school?

Pretty much, if you think you know how to do it, that's probably pretty close to how you do it!

But TLDR- probe in the rad fluid/or touching inside of the neck, and probe to - ground post while running. If it ain't zero, clean/upgrade your engine block/frame/head grounds. If you're using a multimeter... you'll want it set to the mV setting on the dial...
Usually they'll go something like 200V, 20V, 2V, 200mV... you can start with 2V but will need to end up in mV.
Read the manual for which holes the prongs go into. Usually red prong is positive and goes in the red hole... Ditto for the black prong. If you get it backwards, most multimeters will just read a negative...

You can also test the quality of grounds back to your battery using the ohms setting... (greek omega character). Closer to zero is better .
post #24 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 03:50 PM

they do make anodes to circumvent minimal stray voltages
post #25 of 28 Old 04-25-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sonosls View Post
Indeed, any reading on a typical voltmeter/multimeter is too much reading and needs to be addressed, since except for lab-quality stuff, any reading is going to be too much to not cause corrosion.
lol "lab-quality"

2 readings with a fluke 87 and a Simpson 260.

anything under 300 MV is considered normal
200 MV being better.
IIRC GM recommends repair if its above 500mv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_161319.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	316369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_161625.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	316371  
post #26 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM
LS3 Cruisin'

Interesting. I'll check mine again when I've got time, I don't recall being anywhere near 200mv. Now you've got me curious to check my daily to see what an OEM Subaru puts out typically.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 PM

the reason I showed both meters is the analog is actually better.
The Fluke is so sensitive that its up and down like a yo-yo,
jumping from 100-300mv,but with the Simpson its dead on 100mv.
post #28 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 PM
Randy

Garage

Great information guys, Thanks.

I'll be using Stock s10 V-6 radiator mounts & location. I got a dual cooling fan from a Malibu it fits the S10 V-6 radiator like it was made for it. I used 3/4" aluminum angle stock to mount in the inside top and bottom of the fan. Then mount the angle to the radiator core flanges with 1/2 wide foam in between the two flanges.

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page