S-10 Forum banner

5.3 Turbo Sonoma

75K views 460 replies 49 participants last post by  bk2life 
#1 ·
After having lots of fun with my 2001 turbo 4.3 Sonoma, I have decided to build a 1st gen with a turbo 5.3. I just started collecting parts. This weekend I picked up a 1991 GMC Sonoma and a 2000 5.3.

See less See more
#2 ·
awesome!! love everything about your 01, can't wait to see this thing being built

#8 ·
I was hoping to have posted some progress already but I haven't even touched the truck or motor yet. I spent 5 hours working on my 01, taking the passenger header off to weld a crack only to find it was cracked in another place that I didn't realize once I got it back together which was frustrating. I was hoping that would make me happy enough to call that truck finished, but its not quite yet.

I did however setup a deal with Iroc-10 to get an 8.5 rearend for the 91. I will have that on Sunday. I also did get some really not important parts like a new grill and air dam. I have been researching and searching for the long list of parts needed to get this thing going though. I was going to try and rush to get it together before the end of this season but I don't know if I have enough time to make that possible. I still need to figure out a transmission, Im leaning towards a turbo 400. Then I need to decide if I am going with 1 turbo or 2. And then decide if I am going to go with e85 or not.

I will make sure that I am thorough with detailed information and lots of pictures. Thats kind of my style anyways.

#10 ·
Got some more time today to work on the truck and finished disassembly. Winched it on my trailer and took it to the super wash. The truck is pretty clean with only a couple small rust spots. Im pretty happy with how things are going so far. Im meeting with Iroc-10 tomorrow to get the 8.5 rear end. Im going to order the motor mounts and some POR-15 right now. Then the build begins.

#11 ·
I can't believe you found a truck that clean, where your at. I bought my 2nd gen up there, and it has been a uphill battle with rust since I got it.

#12 ·
88k original miles. It was on a farm a few hours south of here. It was full of mice and the damage they do but thats about it. I found it searching some nearby areas Craigslist. It was full of 25 years of farm dirt which is why I stripped it completely so that I could pressure wash it. Im going to put most of the interior back in which was in great condition also. No cracks in the factory dash. I was originally looking at buying one from Texas and driving it home but I found this one and decided to take a chance. The paint has pealed in a bunch of spots which makes average people think this truck is a POS but guys like us can see the truth.

#15 ·
Everything is for sale...

I've got an Auburn posi coming for that rearend. Im still undecided on the gear ratio. Im kinda leaning towards leaving it as a 3.08 which if I have done the math correctly would mean I could pass through the traps at 150mph at 5500 rpm. Which sounds pretty good to me. I think it would be cool to build enough power to make that work. But Im thinking a 3.23 or 3.42 is a bit more realistic.

I should have a lot of time to work on the truck this weekend. Hopefully Ill be able to post some progress pics. Im going to pull the bed off to get the tank out and POR the frame. I have a fuel cell that Ill be mounting in the far back of the bed. Im trying to gather up the parts for the rear suspension. I was thinking of putting the Bilstien rear shocks back on my 01 and taking those Calvert adjustables for the the 91. I still have the 90/10s that I never got around to putting on the 01 so they are going on the 91 now for sure.

#16 ·
Did you say what turbo you using on this? The 150 can be done for sure. Do you follow Matt Happle on tech, or you tube? His Colorado went 10:3x's this last week.

#17 ·
I have yet to decide on a turbo yet. But I did find a local guy who builds stainless headers at very reasonable prices. Im getting a new set built by him for my 01. What I have decided on is going with an air to water cooler this time and turning the intake around to fit this under the dash and keep it out of the engine compartment. I am leaning towards a single turbo but I have not ruled out twins yet. I need to break the math down on this one to check what it will take to reach my goals. I am open to suggestions if anybody has any.

#20 ·
I don't have any personal experience with turbos on these, but what I have seen and been in, I would probably do twins on that setup. I would consider doing twins on mine, except I already have a single purchased. IMO, the only downside, is running the exhaust on the drivers side, however, it can be smaller with twins, so at least with that, there can be room, just not easily. If you going to run a single, I say go big.

#22 ·
While I collect parts I have started putting the interior back together. I POR'd all the spots where the paint had come off. I had to clean years of farm dirt off all the panels. I am painting the interior panels to change the color to grey and black. Its looking good so far. I am taking my 01 to the fabricator next week for new headers and while its gone from the garage I'm planning on pulling the bed off the 91 to do the rear end swap along with PORing everything out back.

#23 ·
I know it didn't look that good when you got it, but you STOLE that truck. Maybe it was stolen anyway now that I think about it, it's just too rust free for that area!

#75 ·
I went with Viking double adjustables for the rear shocks and they are some nice looking pieces for sure.

Any info on these? Ive been looking to update my rear shocks.... Any specific valving or part #? Thanks

#27 ·
WOW! Interior looks amazing! I guess thats a new carpet kit? Where did you get it, and what are your thoughts on it? I am going to buy one for my truck soon, but haven't figured out who I am buying from.

#28 ·
I got the carpet from Stock Interiors for 130$ shipped. It was molded very well and fit great. Some minor trimming which is the way it should be.

I finished brackets for the seats today which turned out pretty good. So the interior is pretty much done for now. I moved on to the back half. I pulled the bed and stripped the old rear end and gas tank out along with anything that isnt necassary for what Im doing. I went and bought a couple of grill brushes and Im about to go crazy with some POR after dinner here. I have to drop my 01 off to the fabricator in the morning but after that I am hoping to get the new rear end and suspension in and maybe start on the posi install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.