1989 Blazer Water In Gas - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

1989 Blazer Water In Gas

Trying to keep my 4.3L Blazer clean from winter driving, I have been regularly washing the vehicle, including underside. I have somehow been getting water in my gas supply, and it makes for some terrible chugging until the dry gas takes effect.
Are there any key places to check as to how water is getting in system - gas cap, hose connections to tank, etc.?
My first thoughts go toward the side gas door and gas cap assembly.
Cap gasket?
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Re: 1989 Blazer Water In Gas

Even with holes rusted into the top of the tank or filler neck you must be really pouring the water up under that area for enough to get in and effect the performance. Most current gasoline contains some alcohol which readily mixes with the water and burns. That's all that gas line anti-freeze is, more alcohol.
The only real way to find your leak is to unbolt the bed and tip it to the passengers side so you can look for the hole or busted hose. Has to be near the top of the tank or above for fuel to not be leaking out. If you think it is near the gas cap or door, get a real bright flashlight and small mirror. Doubt the cap is the issue since it completely cover the top of the filler pipe and water won't naturally flow up hill.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 AM
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin

Garage
Re: 1989 Blazer Water In Gas

How do you know you're getting water in the fuel? Are you sure it's not sucking water in via a intake manifold or other vacuum leak? I've seen that a few times... when the undercarriage wash hits the bottom of the engine, a vacuum leak manages to suck in a bunch of water and either stalls the engine or makes it run like poo for a minute or two. I've seen similar instances that were result of a torn diaphram in the EGR valve too.

14 years Professional Automotive Repair Tech. If you attempted to fix it, it will now cost you more for me to fix

My DIY Guide to OBD2 Scanners

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein
"Ignorance is never a valid excuse" - Me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page