Need help expanding C: drive partition - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Need help expanding C: drive partition

So here's the deal. I bought my laptop 3-4 years ago, and it came with a 600gb hard drive. When I set the comp up, I allocated 60gb for the C: drive, 427 for D: drive, and I left 100 free (10 gigs auto goes to recovery). Now, the C drive is almost filled up. Since there is no unallocated space next to C:, I need to delete D, then add the 100gb to C:, then re-create D:. My problem is I can't delete d, the option is grayed out. Anyone have any ideas?

P.S.- This is a Windows 7 OS.

Thanks.

1984 Chevy s10.
1995 Chevy s10: Hopefully will be sold soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Sans S10

Re: Need help expanding C: drive partition

Sounds like you kinda screwed yourself.

I'm not sure you're gonna be able to re-partition the drive without reloading your OS.

I would recommend you move your music, video, documents and downloads folders to your D drive, that way you free up your C drive and start utilizing your D drive more. That would also probably be the easiest solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRojer
however had i jerked off first i woulda shown the bitch my heisman and been done.
1994 S10 Ext. Cab - 2.2 Auto, cherry red, manual everything - SOLD

2002 S10 Xtreme Ext. Cab - 4.3 - 5 spd - 2/3 drop, clear signals, Black with power windows/locks/mirrors - SOLD
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 PM
SSRT-S10

Garage

Go here and try this free tool...

http://www.disk-partition.com/resour...-windows7.html

it states that it can let you re-size the main(c:\) partition to what you want....
but you may have to kill some of the other partitions that you have on that drive to do this....

Best option.... back up your videos, music, and other "removable" data and move it off the drive to a DVD backup disk or an external drive.... then remove them off of the C:\ drive temporarily....
Reclaim the space needed above by re-sizing the c:\ partition... (as stated.., this depends on the total amount of free space or unallocated space on the drive itself..)
to the size you need it to be... then copy them back to the drive....

They're alot more tools/utilities out there on the inet that can also do this job as well.... Just google "windows 7 re-size C:\ partition free download"

hope this helps...

l8taz,
Allen

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I already had all of my music/movies on my D drive. I have no clue what the hell would be taking up the space on the C, but regardless, I'd like to make that 160g instead of the 60. I already backed up all the stuff on the D to my external hard drive in case I have to delete it. Thanks for the info guys, I will try that tool.

1984 Chevy s10.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM

boot up a live cd of linux and run gparted.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I tried that program that Nightmare posted, and it didn't work. I set it up, deleted the D volume, made C bigger, and remade D, and hit apply, but when the comp rebooted and the program started to make the changes, it said it had to abort. I think my problem is 2 folders in the D drive, they are: 45a1a639f53743540856969eed41 and 0828ac5b21b9542c52. The first one is locked, and I have to click "ok" on like 6 admin windows before I can open them. I think they're security files, because that's what it says. The other one says file operation, and they need access from SYSTEM to delete. I think the reason why I can't delete this partition is because of these 2 @ssholes. There's folders inside these 2 folders, but the data on both of them is 0.

So I try to OPEN a folder in either of these, and it says I need to be an administrator (I am, it's MY laptop lol). So I click the proceed button or whatever with the shield next to it, and it brings up the access control window, and there is SYSTEM, and Administrators. I click on the System and view the properties, and they have full permission on everything. For the Administrators, there are only a few things checked, but "delete this folder" is not one of them. It is grayed out though. How do I give the admins full privileges? I can clarify any of this if it don't make sense.

P.S.- Mofo I HATE Linux lol

1984 Chevy s10.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Tech Mod

gparted works great.

why not just delete the contents on D, or save them, whatever....and just keep all your stuff loaded on D.

that is what i do. i only have 60GB for my windows to be loaded on, NOTHING is saved on that drive besides a few programs/games i want to run fast (solid state drive) and the rest is loaded on a larger drive. when i format windows to reload it (as a yearly refresher) i dont have to worry about backing things up since nothing is really on the "C" drive.

-Jonathan

2000 Sonoma Extended cab 2.2L 5 Speed with Hurst short throw shifter, 3/4 Drop on staggered gray boss 338 18s, Flowmaster original 40 series.
My Project thread--->https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...driver-361848/

{PROJECT ZR2} 2000 S10 ZR2 200,XXX miles, 31x10.5 BFG KM2 MT on 15" Pro Comp 152s, Iron front diff, 1.5" T-bar crank & custom bumpers & shackles, + more
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/be...ct-zr2-485836/

1992 GMC Jimmy - Project Daily Beater Status/Ordinary beater
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/da...status-520683/

2009 Harley Nightrain

2008 Silverado 2500- "the usual" done to it.

1984 CUCV - Rock crawler
post #8 of 9 Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Nightmare

Send a message via MSN to Von Rottes Send a message via Skype™ to Von Rottes

Yup... Gparted will literally partition anything... even keep the old files intact!

I used Partedmagic a lot when it was free... it's basically a light-weight linux desktop with built in Gparted and all kinds of other fancy programs for harddrives..
Obviously they have a GUI so it's much easier to use.

RIP Joyce Fox
4/10/66-2/17/17

Nightmare
~ Thread Here ~ R.I.P
Betty White '92 SGT #0070 ~Thread Here
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
SSRT-S10

Garage

U got a destop with an open ide or sata connection ? Take the drive out of the laptop and hook it up using an adapter to the unused sata or ide port.... then boot the machine and tell the bios/ sata controller of the drive..., reboot... then when windows comes up..., force it to boot into the OS of the desktop...NOT the laptop...
the laptop drive will now be found by windows as an added drive.... go thru the folders and "unhide" all hidden folders and unhide all system folders.....
delete what u want from the drive at will.... (dont delete the OS of Win 7 !!.., that is unless U want to kill it...)

WHen done.., shut it down.., unhook the laptop drive..., and set it back up in the laptop.... boot up the partition software..., and fix that drive like you want....

I got (4) 3-terrabyte drives...all external drives.... all used for storage of "needed" things.... each has 8 partitions.., and usually once a year.., I have to move or resize one of the partitions.... I got over 40 different utilities to accomplish this task and I usually grab whatever is closest at the time....

here's a list of utilities that I KNOW work with windows 7 home/Pro....

Acronis Disk Director - http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/

Paragon Partition Manager - http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Ease Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/

GParted For Linux - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sta-partition/ (it a all-in-one-self-booting-ISO)

***BEST ONE***Mini Tool Partition Wizard - http://www.partitionwizard.com/resiz...-windows7.html

Your choice.... The Linux way is the also a very good way to resize the partitions too..., Burn the ISO..., boot it up..., then resize the partitions like needed.
But be warned...., as with ANY dealings with partitions.., BACKUP YOUR WANTED DATA or you will lose it !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page