Best enclosure for WiFi repeater - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Sold :'(

Best enclosure for WiFi repeater

I have adequate-to-good WiFi signal all around my yard except for a huge dead spot behind my metal building. I like having the full-property signal coverage so I can stream Pandora on my phone while I'm mowing, but I'm forced to listen to the mower until I'm back out from behind the shop. I have a repeater (Cisco RE1000) at my disposal, and the router in my shop is a Linksys EA6200, if that makes any difference.

I'm thinking of mounting the repeater in a weathertight enclosure on the eave of the building. Neither of these devices have external antennas, otherwise I'd just run a long cable from the router and mount an antenna outside. What material would have the least impact on signal strength? I'm sure a plastic of some sort is best. Should I use acrylic, ABS, HDPE, or something else?

Or, can you guys suggest a better option? Would it be better to skip the repeater and connect my old trusty WRT54G to a port on the EA and mount it outside? I know the WRT is only Wireless-G, but it would serve the purpose. The WRT has two non-removeable antennas, and I'm thinking I could let them protrude through the enclosure and silicone around them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM

Re: Best enclosure for WiFi repeater

Finally I can actually help someone here, haha. I'd definitely recommend polyethylene for your enclosure. You should be able to use the repeater inside there without too bad of signal degradation. Not sure how large of a space you're talking about covering. If it's more than 400sq. ft. I'd suggest using the WRT and let the antennas protrude.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Sold :'(

Re: Best enclosure for WiFi repeater

Thanks for your input! I'll dig for a PE box to house the WRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page