Strange wiggle when first push gas pedal and first let off it - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Strange wiggle when first push gas pedal and first let off it

About 5 miles into my drive to work yesterday I noticed an odd little wiggle when I first press the gas pedal and then again when I let off. Does it every time and it doesnít matter if the wheels are turned or straight. I inspected the front end last night and found nothing out of place and honestly it almost feels more like itís doing it in the rear end but nothing appeared out of place there either although I did not go over it as thoroughly as the front as it was getting late. Could something in the diff be on its way out causing it? It only does it for a split second when the suspension first makes it move when accelerating and decelerating

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

And today on the way to work it started popping when I let out of the clutch and it’s definatelt in the front end. I can grab the tie rods and there is a very small amount of slop in the steering but it can’t be enough to make the little wiggle it does as it does it. It feels like something is moving a half inch or more and the slop is probably only .050 or so. When I get my tax return I’m going through the whole front end anyway but that’s atill a few weeks out
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 AM

Re: Strange wiggle when first push gas pedal and first let off it

Look around the idler arm mounts and steering box mounts for any cracks in the frame. It can happen. Also take a look at your rag joint under the air filter housing. They can get sloppy when worn.
You might also be feeling the engine move if the mounts are bad. Set the parking brake and put some chocks in front of the front wheels and while standing alongside the truck have someone coordinated bring the rpms up around 1500-1800 and ease out the clutch in 1st and reverse.
Same as power braking an automatic. See if the engine moves off it's mounts. They are a known weak point.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Good ideas Iíll check them out after work tonight, if I can tolerate being out in the cold. Low 20ís tonight

Motor mounts seem like they would be a real pain in these trucks

I donít really feel it in the steering wheel much. It kind of feels like what you might imagine the front and rear ended coming badly misaligned for a split second, if that makes any sense
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Low 20ís tonight
Here in WI we'd call that a heat wave.
Tomorrow's forcast;
WEDNESDAY: Partly sunny and dangerously cold. Wind Chills to -50į.
HIGH: -13į
LOW: -30į

When they talk about the "Frozen Tundra" they aren't kidding. Local acronym is FFT
post #6 of 7 Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Do you have blocks in the rear? The first set of blocks I had broke one of the centering pins and every time I hit the gas it would dog track just a little and then go back when I let off.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Do you have blocks in the rear? The first set of blocks I had broke one of the centering pins and every time I hit the gas it would dog track just a little and then go back when I let off.
Yep, 2Ē block in the rear, Iíll look into that.

The problem seems to have subsided a bit. Itís not popping on take off anymore and the wiggle is hardly noticeable. Iím sure it will come back. Itís almost time to start throwing a bunch of new parts on it so Iím sure Iíll finf it then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page