Steering play - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Steering play

So my daily is the 94 s10 extended cab in my profile pic. I'd like to keep it running pretty much forever but the one thing I've been bothered by is steering play. I know it's a second gen but considering the steering column for these was a one year deal that I'd have better luck on this side of the forum. I've seen these things with worse play than mine but I want to nip it in the bud before it even starts to get worse. What should I look out for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM
B4U Task Force

Re: Steering play

Doesn't matter 1st or 2nd gen. You need to check all of the moving parts for play and replace as needed. Moog parts are the preferred choice.

BTW....this belongs in Steering/Suspension so....

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm still relatively new on here and only have a chance every so often to post... so I'm still not great at navigating the site. So it'd pretty much be down to the steering box and the column joint then. The steering linkage was all in good shape when I checked out the entirety of the suspension a couple months back.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 01:35 PM
B4U Task Force

How did you check the individual components? It makes a difference.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #5 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Chopper! Sic balls!

If all that checks out look into replacing the rag joint with a flaming river joint or a Jeep steering shaft swap. I doubt the problem is in the column itself.

TelAmeriCorp
post #6 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
How did you check the individual components? It makes a difference.
Visual inspection for damage and corrosion. Checked every joint in the linkage for play. The toe on the truck is perfect and it drives straight as an arrow. So that'd leave me with the steering box and the rag joint. I'd much rather it be the joint than the steering box itself
post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the jeep shaft swap done a couple times and I may look into it. It seems to be a tougher shaft and I'm planning on upgrading it to be a decent performer. Due to a college student budget that's going to have to wait I'm afraid but it's proven to be as capable as any 2wd full size truck I've ever driven. Granted I've yet to tow anything behind it but that'll also wait until I have other projects to work on as well.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin

Garage

If it's been a few months since you checked out the steering system, I'd check it again now. A part that was in good working condition a few months ago may now have slop in it. I would get a friend to sit in the truck and move the steering wheel ONLY through its range of play, wiggle it back and forth. Tell them as soon as they feel resistance in one direction, go the back the other way. Do this with the front wheels on the ground and the truck not running so the front wheels themselves stay as stationary as possible.

While they are moving the wheel back and forth, look under the truck and look at the tie rods, inner and outer. Any play in them should be fairly visible by checking it in this manner. Also look at the drag link, there should be no up and down movement in it. If there is, it'll need an idler arm (VERY common in these front ends), a pitman arm or both. If the play is in the rag joint, just like the tie rod ends it should be fairly easy to see. The steering box could be sloppy too, in which case you'd see the input shaft of the steering box moving but little to no movement in the pitman arm.

How do you know the toe is perfect? How is the tread wear on the front tires?

14 years Professional Automotive Repair Tech. If you attempted to fix it, it will now cost you more for me to fix

My DIY Guide to OBD2 Scanners

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein
"Ignorance is never a valid excuse" - Me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page