S10 steering geometry - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

S10 steering geometry

I just watched these 4 videos,

It is a discussion by the owner of Fat Man Suspensions about steering geometry. He has a very low opinion of the S10 steering geometry and their front brakes. I've read an article or 2 on here about upgrading the brakes and know that can be fixed, but has anyone run into a problem with the steering geometry? Or is there any fix for the problem he outlines? Or am I over thinking these videos?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Re: S10 steering geometry

look in the modified section,lots of info on this
G bodies share the same plight and they are bigger into modifying.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

S10 steering geometry is neither terrible nor unsafe, it just isn't very good. The design of the GM G-Bodies carried over from the A bodies in 78', but if you trace the lineage farther back, the design understanding and philosophy essentially dates to the late 1950's, early 1960's. Considering production in North America stopped in 04', the suspension design basically spanned a similar length of time as the small block chev engine.

Bump-steer or excessive camber gain under compression is the largest issue plaguing the design, however that's only a problem on big bumps at speed. Think deep potholes on the highway, that's really where the biggest concern is.

There have been so many improvements in shock technology, and understanding of performance handling dynamics since the 1950's that the design is functionally obsolete, and indeed pretty much every modern suspension design is going to have a higher motion ratio, less spring rate, more shock control, flat or near flat camber curve etc.

The tall ball joint swap/tall spindle swap/upper control arms/adjustable outer tie rods are all pretty common in addressing the bump steer/camber curve issues.

For most daily drivers, this stuff is unnecessary, as again the geometry is passable for daily driven street vehicles. Its more when you get into auto-x or you really want your truck to handle well that you start to look at changing some front end components. The tall ball joint/UCA swap is the easiest low hanging fruit at a relatively good price point. Along with adjustable outer tie rods. The more nuanced issues, e.g. Ackerman angle (CoR/Track Width), RC, and caster are not nearly as easy to address. But again, these are trucks, if you want a good handling car to throw around a track pad, go buy a Miata... lol

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sonosls View Post
S10 steering geometry is neither terrible nor unsafe, it just isn't very good. The design of the GM G-Bodies carried over from the A bodies in 78', but if you trace the lineage farther back, the design understanding and philosophy essentially dates to the late 1950's, early 1960's. Considering production in North America stopped in 04', the suspension design basically spanned a similar length of time as the small block chev engine.

I have a 65 El Camino sitting in the garage next to my 03 S-10, and it has always amazed me how much the two trucks had in common.

- Front suspension
- Bell-housing bolt pattern
- Differential cover bolt pattern
- Steering box design
- Window crank spline & clip
- Aftermarket Distributors are interchangeable?
- Cylinder bore & spacing (El Camino is a 230 inline 6. With a 250 crank, the stroke would even be the same as the 4.3)

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM

yep alot more
amazing how much "value engineering" went into the vehicles that they made millions of,and made millions of dollars selling the same old shirts for 30+ yrs.Without getting into the politics of it,all of the big 3 made billions by value engineering and sharing parts.I remember the day you could go in a dime store and buy a distributor cap that would fit a caddy,or a corvette,and most likely every other V8 they produced.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

It's not just the big 3...

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
It's not just the big 3...
Indeed... my 2016 Forester shares parts with the Impreza, WRX, Outback, and Legacy... so basically pretty much everything Subaru makes. Basically an Impreza on stilts, near identical interior... Not sure about the Crosstrek but I assume its just another recycle bin of parts also.

The biggest slam against the new Ford Ranger? The interior is 100% recycled from the current Mustang, same buttons, knobs and all.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sonosls View Post
The biggest slam against the new Ford Ranger? The interior is 100% recycled from the current Mustang, same buttons, knobs and all.

That's actually kind of cool, now if they could only recycle that manual transmission over to the Ranger...

Edit: Well, I looked at pictures... for some reason I thought we were going to get a truck with a Mustang dashboard. Oh, well.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page