Power steering reservoir replacing - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TranceAmerica

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-02-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Power steering reservoir replacing

Hey guys, hows the reservoir removed from the power steering pump on 03 model ? I see two clips that I pulled up and then pushed it away from the pump but broke the feed nipple that goes into the pump. Also can the reservoir be taken off an installed pump without taking the whole pump off? Whats the easiest way to bleed the air too?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Re: Power steering reservoir replacing

I found a video on a jeep with the same style pump & reservoir looks like it cant be done without taking the pump out itself. But hopefully someone knows different, its the bottom clip that looks like it cant be removed from the pump without it out, the pump removal: which ended up being way more difficult then I thought. Removed a/c compressor, removed 3 bolts inside the pulley wheel, 1 bolt on the bottom right of the pump, two bolts that hold a bracket from the block and two extremely difficult bolts behind the bracket that the pump was mounted that face the firewall that you can hardly even get a socket and swivel into. Was that block to pump bracket even necessary to remove to get the pump out? If anyone knows which one I'm talking about, no pics trucks not even here.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 01:42 AM
I'm super serial

Garage

I'm guessing this is a 2.2L? It's been a while but if you removed all of that you should be good to take it out. Might have to give it a nudge with a mallet.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Yep. 2.2 its out, just broke the reservoir to pump nipple, so no parts store has it for days have to goto junk yard tomorrow and do a pump removal just to get a reservoir, or the broken piece could be bonded back to the reservoir but I don't think thats a good fix to glue it back so it can break off.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM

To get the air out of a power steering system simply turn the wheels lock to lock with it idling. Might have to do it a couple times. Since the reservoir is the high point, that's where the air will go.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered Offender

Garage

That is best done with the front end raised to keep pump pressure at a minimum and allow the dissolved air (think of a carbonator) to separate from the oil more easily.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

New ones in but after I started it up it foamed and whined for awhile, it stopped foaming but now I have a whining still when I turn hard, also noticed how much the fluid level drops and then returns back when I start and stop it. Pulley or belt now squeeks too, turns better now but sounds worse then the old one! I put in a bbb vision oE pump. I wonder if I ruined it already thats why its whining, I turned it also with wheels raised up from lock to lock like 20 times with it on and off.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 PM

let the fluid calm down(air out of it) and test again
post #9 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,There now it's not whining, just wondering how I got this belt or pulley squeek, fluid sprayed all over the engine compartment on the old removal seems like I'm dragging more now, I wonder if getting fluid all over the belt and pulleys will make it slip or if that pulley isn't pressed in enough, I sprayed lube on the pulley shaft front and back it goes away but comes back under higher and lower load.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Yep its gotta be the pulleys squeaking from the power steering fluid, gonna remove & spray degreaser, noticed a melted residue on one of the pulleys must be why I've lost power & when I reverse it whines.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 PM
B4U Task Force

You might as well get a new belt also.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #12 of 23 Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah planning on a new belt too, cheap one in right now and its got stretch lines on it.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-05-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Replaced belt & degreased pulleys, pretty sure the squealing went away only tested for a few mins though. I noticed play in the steering pump shaft is this normal? When I tugged it back n forth the shaft the mounts to pulley and comes out of steering pump had about 1/4" of play. Also it's still whining when I turn, what a piece! I guess that's what I get for getting the cheapest part from bbb or I might have already burned the pump up from the initial restart when I had massive foaming for about two minutes it definitely wasn't get lubricated with all the foam.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Called the manufacturer, the play in the shaft in & out is normal, the squealing & whining is from air in the system or a pulley not plumb with others, the old method of turning lock to lock doesn't get all the air out of the system when its been severely aerated, its gotta be vacuum bled with a pump vacuum bleeder attachment attached to a vacuum bleed with a gauge tool 60-68kpa until the fluid no longer drops. I'll post back after I get the tools & do it.

There's a bleeding howto but I can't get it uploaded right now.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM
B4U Task Force

The mfr response makes no sense. If the shaft is allowed to move in and out .25, how are the pulleys supposed to stay aligned?

Apple Red 96 SS
post #16 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Not sure. Since I didnt want to risk damaging my steering system from having too much air. And didnt want to spend 60$ or more on a vacuum bleeder locally that probably wouldnt work anyway. I did an mickey mouse method tonight that someone else suggested. I bought an extra reservoir cap and drilled a hole through it put a barb fitting and hooked up a brake bleeder vacuum, hardly worked though but I did pull some air out. I didnt know these caps have a pressure spring and aerating valve built it so when I drilled through the top I couldnt still really get a solid seal, I wasted one cap and then I tried my original cap and that ones now toast too. But at least I got some air out, some squealing went away but not all. Summit autozone oreillys and napa all seem to not carry these caps anymore at all. I got one from summit a dorman 82575 it fits and seals but the measuring dipstick is not long enough so you cant read you fluid level accurately. I just saved the original for measuring even though its not functioning anymore with a hole in it!
So i have to order this part from amazon its the only adapter for these gm models with the reservoir cap that has the two flanges, the cone ones apparently wont seal for vacuum because of the flanges in the way.
Oreillys & Napa do have the vacuum bleeder adapters, the reservoir caps I cant seem to pin point unless you buy a new reservoir itself.
Attached Images

post #17 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Oreillys & Napa actually do have this vacuum bleeder adapter, Oreillys has it in stock! Funny I called all three of them today and every person on the phone said they didnt have em or couldnt even get em!
dfulkshi likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Fixed, the pulley was out of alignment, pressed it in more with lisle 3900. Vacuumed pumped with 20 hm for 5 minutes fluid level didn't drop most of the air must've already been out of it!
post #19 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 PM
B4U Task Force

Did pressing on further take care of the in & out movement??

Apple Red 96 SS
post #20 of 23 Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 PM

did I fall asleep and miss something?

when did replacing a PS pump get so complicated?

I had a leaky high side hose on my 03,couldnt get to it to replace so would run til it growled and dump some fluid in.
I ran out of PS fluid and GASP! put some hydraulic oil in it.
Never had to bleed the air out.
Changed the hose a couple weeks ago,of course most of the fluid leaked out. Put fluid in and drove it.
growling stopped in a minute.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Didn't really specifically check for the play in & out I was just trying to get it put back in but I think it did lessen the play, I pushed it about 3/8" probably about 1/8" back from flush to pulley. Drove 20 miles no squealing. The pump still whines though a little here & there, probably burnt it up some from restarting with so much air. Before I installed the new pump I wanted to bleed out all of the old fluid and put it in fresh fluid first but I took off the top high pressure hose instead of the bottom low pressure hose to bleed it at first by mistake and it blew all over everywhere. And I used the pulley installer wrong I learned today threaded the short end into the pump shaft instead of the long end. Thats why I didn't get the pulley all the way pressed in, doing everything in the rain doesnt help either lol.
Thats first pump I've ever replaced, & I think I actually could've got away without using a brake bleeder & that adapter, I think it was a waste of money & time. There's no youtube videos of doing this pump that go into detail with this same pump that I came across.
Heres the tool that I bought & used for pulley install & removal. Works great, dont count on paper instructions that come with it though, I watched a youtube on it to get it right & still had to do a little figuring out.

Lisle 39000 40$
Attached Images

post #22 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

It's actually almost flush to the shaft maybe 1/6" - .025 back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190306_225319_1551941911317.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	315169  
post #23 of 23 Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 AM

The lock to lock method is all I ever used and never had a problem.Only took a few turns.

'01 S10 RCSB 2.2 5spd. daily driver-182,000 miles and counting
'87 Silverado-all original-279,000 miles
'86 3/4 ton 4x4 currently in pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page