Front end rebuild - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dime-dozen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Front end rebuild

So after sorting out my fuel issue. I will move to my next project.
Rebuilding the front suspension. I did shocks and the steering stuff not too long ago. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the upper control arm bushings looked bad to me.
So my plan is to replace the bushings and the ball joints. Energy suspension and moog ball joints.

Before anybody questions my reasoning. I replaced the springs and control arms on my sierra. The moog replacements didn't fit all that great which is why I chose this route. I had to hammer out the attachement points on the frame. I read online and apparently that was common so to avoid this I chose this route.
If the energy suspension make too much noise I will remove them later

When I did the sierra I used a 3 ton floor jack I also had to use my external spring compressors. I was a little nervous. It went ok.

I am looking at getting this compressor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGTHM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I had energy suspension on my last car. I liked it. They did squeak some. But it was mainly from the sway bar bushings.

For the ball joints. I have a small 8 ton press, a ball joint press and access to a 20 ton press. So I should be fine there.

The springs concern me. I may rent the tool. Then once I find it works then buy it.

I have read the stickies and there seems to be two ways to do them. But most people seem to have problems with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 01:52 PM
B95
Early Member

Garage
Re: Front end rebuild

As long as you use a coil spring compressor that goes inside the coil spring, you should be ok. I would only buy a coil spring compressor, if you are planning to do alot of front end work.

1995 Black S-10 X-Cab 4.3 CPI. '96 Jimmy 4dr Power-leather seats. '97 Camaro gauge needles. '98/99 Bravada core support, headlights and grille. Envoy bumper cover and fog lights. 2" drop spindles. Headlight wire upgraded with relays. Blazer floorshift and console. '96 Blazer leather steering wheel and air bag. '96 Jimmy leather door panels. 310,xxx miles. ZQ8 steering box. SS Mirrors.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM

most of the chain auto parts stores will "rent" you one.
pay a deposit,use the tool bring back for refund of deposit
B95 likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Chopper! Sic balls!

Most places these days charge you full price for the tool and then refund it upon the return of the tool.

TelAmeriCorp
post #5 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I purshcased a spring compresor.

I started this project this weeked. I got rained out. I got the uppper off and replaced. The bushings were gone. The rear only had half the rubber in it. The lower looks OK. But I think I need to go ahead and replace them while I'm here.

I'm doing rotors bearings and pads while I'm here. My question is concerning the tapered bearings. I had a noise when I would run over manhole covers. Came from the passenger side So that is where I started. The bushings were toast.
But the wheel bearings seemed extremely loose. I could move the caliper a lot. At least a lot more than I think I should. Should the bearings be that loose. I would think that the castle nut could have been turned at least 3 more spots. 1/4 to 1/2 turn

steve
post #6 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM
94 4x4,01 Blazer

caliper floats- rotor is held steady by your rim- your hub should have no end play or wobble- tightnen crown by hand till you have slught drag then back off 1/16 to 1/4 turn

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for confirming.
I'll try that when I get it all installed.

steve
post #8 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 AM

Replacing Stabilizer links & and sway bar bushings made a big difference in my truck, rides way better big difference, it raised up my front end too, going over speed bumps I don't get that big drop and squeak anymore, definitely rides more like a new truck, seems like almost or more of difference then new ball joints and tie rods, except for the skip travel you get with bad rods and joints, Way easy install too and like 20$ in materials. New shocks of course was the first thing.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Chopper! Sic balls!

Replacing those parts is usually given when rebuilding the front end. Not as detrimental as balljoints and steering components though IMO. I don't understand how replacing end links and sway bar bushings "raised the front end up" as those parts have no affect on ride height, or ride really for that matter. Handling/cornering yes, ride no.

You sure you didn't put the sway bar back on upside down? That'll make for increased ride height and a stiff ride for sure.

TelAmeriCorp
post #10 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Thankz Mo, no I put em in exactly how they we're originally I did it without taking the sway bar out, I just jacked up the control arm and for the bushing the same just slid em out the side. I think it just made it so it doesn't sink as much after I get in didn't raise it.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 PM

another common mistake is not letting the front end settle down before torquing the control arm bushings.
let it down,bounce it a few times then torque
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Chopper! Sic balls!

All the suspensions pivot points should be tightened and torqued with the suspension at ride height/have the full weight of the vehicle compressing the suspension.

TelAmeriCorp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page