Tig - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
CNC Plasma Cutting

Tig

Have a project that I am bidding on and if I get it, I'll be able to factor in a new welder. This project will be completely out of stainless, probably 304. I have watched someone tig on numerous occasions, but I have not done any tig welding myself. So with that said, do you guys have any suggestions on a tig machine? I don't need it to do anything over, say 1/4"-3/8". I've been looking online at millers, but I'm not apposed to other makes if you have had good success with it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman ss View Post
GoingCustom has the nicest rides on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Star View Post
You're a true craftsman......
www.goingcustom.com (badass gates, art, corporate/holiday gifts)
1967 Mercedes Benz 230s - minor restoration - bagged (Accuair can suck a dick) - Project thread: https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...rtimer-395664/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Dems 22s

Re: Tig

Ive only used one tig, and its a miller syncrowave 250 dx. I use it a lot and i love it. They are really expensive, but its worth the money, and with your custom work, it would eventually pay for its self. It has high frequency so you can weld aluminum also

Matt Adams

Project thread: Laying on billet 22s https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/si...thread-486853/
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.

Send a message via MSN to badmatt

buy a dynasty.... cheaper to run, and more consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
If your S-Series truck is V6 or V8, then your the gay that likes to give it to the other guy.

If your S-Series truck is a 4 cylinder, then your the one who likes to receive it in the ass.
RIP Neil Bursey aka Gearstix you will be greatly missed.

Project Nera:
SB2.2, 4spd dog box, FF9", Full Frame, Brembo's, and WAY to much stupidity.

LA GRAY: The shitty ZR2.... Express unit, now with 5.3

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmatt View Post
buy a dynasty.... cheaper to run, and more consistent.
The new Dynasty's are ridiculous. If I was gonna purchase a TIG welder today I would get the latest model Dynasty 350 without a doubt. 10 minutes of seat time with any other welder and ten minutes with the newer model Dynasty and you'll know why - especially if you were doing aluminum work.

http://store.cyberweld.com/mitigwedy3501.html
post #5 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM
extremlove

miller is the only tig i have ever used. kinda expensive but if you are going to do alot of tiggin then you might as well go ahead and buy a good set up and not have to worry about is screwing up a year from now.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Registered Asshole

Miller all the way!

because i just can't be normal>>> https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/p...ckhalf-488914/
post #7 of 15 Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
CNC Plasma Cutting

Thanks for the suggestions fellas... I'll most likely be going with a Miller. Couple of the metal working forums I'm on also recommended Miller. Just need to decide which model to go with and how much of my profit I want to trade for buying a welder. This will be one of my biggest projects to date (almost $20k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman ss View Post
GoingCustom has the nicest rides on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Star View Post
You're a true craftsman......
www.goingcustom.com (badass gates, art, corporate/holiday gifts)
1967 Mercedes Benz 230s - minor restoration - bagged (Accuair can suck a dick) - Project thread: https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...rtimer-395664/
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM

we use LincolnElectric at work, I don't know the model off hand, but it is super slick and easy to use.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 AM

another good tig to look in to is the thermal arc 186 AC/DC very nice machine and fraction of the price.

Miller Diversion is a very good starter tig if you want AC

If you dont plan on doing aluminum you dont need AC which will make it alot cheeper.

badmat have you ever ran a syncrowave or a dynasty???
your right about the power because dynasty is a inverter
but consistancy of what compaired to welding with a syncro
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM

im going to buy the miller 180 tig here soon. it has a nice price and is a 220 unit that can do aluminum. i weld stainless everyday for a living and we use a little portable miller maxstar 150 stl. its only a 110 unit but the new version has the option of using 110 or 220 plugs. it wont do aluminum though is its only down fall for me but is portable and good for traveling. ive done had ours all over the country. in its case its the size of a small suit case and can get checked in with you luggage at the air port. check out the miller 180 tig though its what i plan to buy for home use
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM

the diversion 180 is perfect for the at home shop.

Lincoln (square wave I think) 175 is pretty good too but older style, cheaper tho
post #12 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Call me Mario, Princess

I have a diversion 180 and love it. I work in a fab shop that does a lot of welding with dynastys and syncrowaves and have had some of the welders come over and they really like my welder. It is good for 3/16 single pass and anything bigger than that just need some extra passes.

Mike
my truck
New direction --->Time to get High

2001 s10 ext cab 6.0 243 heads, ls2 cam, nnbs truck intake, 87mm tb, 4l60e, 241c, dana 44's front and rear, 4.30 gears 35" m/t Baja claws.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM

Ordering a Miller Diversion 180 in the next few days. First project will be an exhaust system for my LSX Blazer. Been a while, but I really enjoyed using a TIG welder many years ago, so look forward getting back up to speed. This model is made in USA, correct?
post #14 of 15 Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM

i love my miller diversion 180. best of both worlds can use 110 or switch plug end to 220 when need the extra heat. also being able to go from ac/dc is nice. i mainly do 316 stainless with it but on occasions i use it for aluminum. works great for me and i use it daily atleast 4 hours a day. also i got the add on pedal, i need to learn the hand control for the times its a pain to use a pedal
post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilt13 View Post
i love my miller diversion 180. best of both worlds can use 110 or switch plug end to 220 when need the extra heat. also being able to go from ac/dc is nice. i mainly do 316 stainless with it but on occasions i use it for aluminum. works great for me and i use it daily atleast 4 hours a day. also i got the add on pedal, i need to learn the hand control for the times its a pain to use a pedal
Just got mine set up, using a 80 CF 100% Argon (I think the supplier called it a "Q" size ??) at any rate he traded me straight up for a 30 year old Acetylene tank I had which was cool since I expected to pay for a new tank. You are quite right about that nice feature of the 180 with the ability to simply swap an adapter plug to use either 115V or 230v. Lining up a bunch of mild steel and ss plate and tubes to get back up to speed on my welding skills. Fun stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page