S-10 Forum

S-10 Forum (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/forum.php)
-   Fabricators Forum (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/fabricators-forum/)
-   -   Roll cage kit vs building from scratch (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f147/roll-cage-kit-vs-building-from-scratch-805185/)

Js624 05-17-2017 03:30 AM

Roll cage kit vs building from scratch

Hey guys I'm looking to cage my s10 blazer. Leaning towards an exo cage since its for 4wheelin and I like the looks. But I was noticing that I can buy a kit from summit for like 300$ granted it's not an exo cage but takes alot of the work out of it. So what do you guys think are these kits worth it or should I just build my own?
On a side not I don't have a tube bender but in have access to a large hydraulic exhaust tube bender would this work to build my cage?
Thanks

oldeerslayer 05-17-2017 06:54 AM

Re: Roll cage kit vs building from scratch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Js624 (Post 11773937)
Hey guys I'm looking to cage my s10 blazer. Leaning towards an exo cage since its for 4wheelin and I like the looks. But I was noticing that I can buy a kit from summit for like 300$ granted it's not an exo cage but takes alot of the work out of it. So what do you guys think are these kits worth it or should I just build my own?
On a side not I don't have a tube bender but in have access to a large hydraulic exhaust tube bender would this work to build my cage?
Thanks

The whole point in a cage is to save your skull. Is the Summit kit approved by any sanctioning bodies? By the way if you are building your own, some of the associations require TIG welding of cages. Not to mention specific thicknesses and diameters of 4130 or DOM. Can't just slap it together with an old Lincoln tombstone and a hack saw anymore. Depending on where you live you might be able to find a race shop that will do just the bends for you if you have the welder.

As far as using a pipe bender for tubing, good luck finding dies for the necessary diameters. Remember tubing is measured by OD and pipe by ID. IDK if a exhaust machine could handle the strength of chassis tubing.

If you just want it to look like a cage and don't plan to do any serious wheeling, have at it, muffler pipe and all.

Js624 05-17-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldeerslayer (Post 11773953)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Js624 (Post 11773937)
Thanks

The whole point in a cage is to save your skull. Is the Summit kit approved by any sanctioning bodies? By the way if you are building your own, some of the associations require TIG welding of cages. Not to mention specific thicknesses and diameters of 4130 or DOM. Can't just slap it together with an old Lincoln tombstone and a hack saw anymore. Depending on where you live you might be able to find a race shop that will do just the bends for you if you have the welder.

As far as using a pipe bender for tubing, good luck finding dies for the necessary diameters. Remember tubing is measured by OD and pipe by ID. IDK if a exhaust machine could handle the strength of chassis tubing.

If you just want it to look like a cage and don't plan to do any serious wheeling, have at it, muffler pipe and all.

Well I'm not competing in any events so I don't need it nhra approved but I do believe the kits from summit are.
Why would the exhaust bender weaken the tube?

dnyce 05-17-2017 04:11 PM

he's saying the exhaust bender might not have enough power to bend the tube.

if you are a proficient welder, you can weld it with whatever method u have as long as you use the right filler material/consumables, those summit kits are mild steel. not like you going thru nhra tech.

jrd1962 05-17-2017 08:02 PM

Most exhaust tubing benders should have no problem bending mild steel tubing up to .100 wall thickness.We use a Huth bender at work and bend .090
every day with no problems.Dies are available from 1 in. OD all the way to 4 in. OD.

oldeerslayer 05-18-2017 12:27 AM

Glad to know it can be done. I just figured tubing meant for a cage would be harder and thicker than an exhaust bender could handle. I am happy to stand corrected on that point. Where do you get the dies for tubing that fit your machine? Ever tried 4130 on your machine?

jrd1962 05-18-2017 03:51 PM

We make cattle handling equipment so we only use mild steel and we get our dies from Huth.