Air Dryer suggestions for Media Blasting ? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Air Dryer suggestions for Media Blasting ?

Could someone help me out with selecting an air dryer for use with a media blasting cabinet ?

I understand that you need completely dry air for painting, but unclear what I can use for media blasting to avoid "clumping".

The air dryers seem to vary considerably in cost and configuration (like $50 to over $500).

Thanks for any guidance and would appreciate a specific recommendation.

Overheard gal at a party talking to a guy "what a cute little PRIUS you have"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Mod

Re: Air Dryer suggestions for Media Blasting ?

I ended up making my own. i used a transmission cooler and built a fan shroud for additional cooling. cant condense hot air but this setup brings the inlet air temp from the compressor head from 300F to room temp. this condenses quite a bit of water, yet you still need quite a bit of flow through a water trap to separate, so i added another one down stream after the regulator to catch the rest since the air is nice and chilled.
null_zps88ac30e5 by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

null_zpsfe25a66c by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

the water trap i have here has a normally open bowl drain. so when the compressor reaches the pressure switch shutoff it bleeds off the air in the system between the head and the check valve at the top of the tank. when the pressure reaches 5 psi the bowl drain opens and dumps the water. during humid days i have actually had to manually drain the bowl due to it filling 100% with water. thats under continuous use though for 15 minutes or more. we also did a similar setup at a buddies house using an A/C condenser from an s10. i ended up using power steering return hose due to the high temps from the air.
Untitled by Jonathan Rios, on Flickr

i used to have problems with my tools freezing up if i used them (in cold weather outside). ice would buildup on the exhaust due to my water problem. now there is absoluetley no noticeable water coming from the exhaust during extended use. also my plasma cutter is happy too

-Jonathan

2000 Sonoma Extended cab 2.2L 5 Speed with Hurst short throw shifter, 3/4 Drop on staggered gray boss 338 18s, Flowmaster original 40 series.
My Project thread--->https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...driver-361848/

{PROJECT ZR2} 2000 S10 ZR2 200,XXX miles, 31x10.5 BFG KM2 MT on 15" Pro Comp 152s, Iron front diff, 1.5" T-bar crank & custom bumpers & shackles, + more
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/be...ct-zr2-485836/

1992 GMC Jimmy - Project Daily Beater Status/Ordinary beater
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/da...status-520683/

2009 Harley Nightrain

2008 Silverado 2500- "the usual" done to it.

1984 CUCV - Rock crawler
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I ended up making my own. i used a transmission cooler and built a fan shroud for additional cooling........
the water trap I have here has a normally open bowl drain. so when the compressor reaches the pressure switch shutoff it bleeds off the air in the system between the head and the check valve at the top of the tank. when the pressure reaches 5 psi the bowl drain opens and dumps the water. during humid days i have actually had to manually drain the bowl due to it filling 100% with water. that's under continuous use though for 15 minutes or more. ..... also my plasma cutter is happy too
Very impressive. I actually have an extra trans cooler and a bath vent fan that I can configure along with a water trap, so I'll put something together similar and give it a try. Thanks !

Overheard gal at a party talking to a guy "what a cute little PRIUS you have"

post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Mod

A fan isn't really nesscesary but would be extra capacity for summer months. Winter time the setup without a fan worked fine.

-Jonathan

2000 Sonoma Extended cab 2.2L 5 Speed with Hurst short throw shifter, 3/4 Drop on staggered gray boss 338 18s, Flowmaster original 40 series.
My Project thread--->https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...driver-361848/

{PROJECT ZR2} 2000 S10 ZR2 200,XXX miles, 31x10.5 BFG KM2 MT on 15" Pro Comp 152s, Iron front diff, 1.5" T-bar crank & custom bumpers & shackles, + more
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/be...ct-zr2-485836/

1992 GMC Jimmy - Project Daily Beater Status/Ordinary beater
https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/da...status-520683/

2009 Harley Nightrain

2008 Silverado 2500- "the usual" done to it.

1984 CUCV - Rock crawler
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Have you looked at Dustless Blasting, it mixes the sand or crushed glass with water to prevent the heat buildup and prevent warping, as well as keeping the dust cloud down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page