2000 ZR2 Brake Upgrades Possible? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

2000 ZR2 Brake Upgrades Possible?

Towed about 700 pounds of lightweight motorcycle tent camper and camping gear plus the stuff in the back of the truck all over Michigan the past couple of weeks (great trip, BTW!). Long story short, I'm not impressed with the lack of stopping power on this truck, even with such a lightweight trailer with brakes. And we also discovered making and breaking down camp in the rain with that trailer is a bi#*h, so we're thinking a hardside teardrop-type trailer or Aliner is in our near future. Which means another 1500 - 2000 pounds back there.

So I'm looking at upgrades across the board. We'll start with brakes but I'm also looking at add-a-leafs for the rear springs, a bigger radiator, separate transmission oil cooler, and maybe freshen up the engine but those topics are for other fora. Anyone upgraded a ZR2's brakes and if so how? Been searching here and in the ZR2 forum and I'm not finding much info beyond the 2wd Corvette conversions and 2 pot upgrades.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Bob

Just an old guy in an old truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Re: 2000 ZR2 Brake Upgrades Possible?

not a thing wrong with doing the Vette or F body(Firebird /Camaro) upgrades.
no need for slotted or drilled,just make sure they are vented good.
I like using Delco rotors,not much more money than the cheap ones.
For almost any upgrades youll need bigger wheels so dont be buying new tires before then.

For wheels a cheap source of 16s,17s is the F body and Vette,which has an offset that can be used on 4x4.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM
B4U Task Force

the LS1 big brake conversion will give you much better stopping. The Corvette 2 pot calipers really aren't any better than the LS1's, but require at least 17" wheels because of the extended ribs on the calipers. I don't recall if you can get away with 15's on the LS1 calipers or not.

Unless your ZR2 its a dedicated trailer puller only, I'd try some helper bags instead of add-a-leafs. You can air them down when not towing and save your kidneys.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS

post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
the LS1 big brake conversion will give you much better stopping. The Corvette 2 pot calipers really aren't any better than the LS1's, but require at least 17" wheels because of the extended ribs on the calipers. I don't recall if you can get away with 15's on the LS1 calipers or not.

Unless your ZR2 its a dedicated trailer puller only, I'd try some helper bags instead of add-a-leafs. You can air them down when not towing and save your kidneys.

Just for kicks I tried putting 15 inch on the front of my Firebird,it was a no go.
I did fit same 15x8 snowflake wheel on rear with very minor fin removal.(2 min with a file)
16s are the most common F body wheels,17s for Vettes
this is for the 4th gen F body and C4,C5 vettes
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Great. Thanks a bunch. I'll start reading up on the LS1 conversions and looking for 16" wheels. Probably black steelies (cheap enough with the added benefit of that all-important bad-ass off-road look ), though finding some with a reasonable offset should be an interesting rabbit hunt. I'm running brand new Dick Cepek EXPs in 31-10.50/15 and I'd prefer to keep my tire costs in that range. But that raises another question: how much will the offset difference from stock - and I know there will be one - impact stress on the wheel bearings? Am I going to be using different bearings/spindles, etc. to make the conversion and if so, are they stronger? (I am gently off-roading this truck some.)

And yes, I'm a big believer in plain rotors - saw a lot of friends spend lots of money replacing cracked slotted/drilled rotors while autocrossing the Miata. I used standard NAPA Gold rotors back then and got excellent life out of them, so that or the Delcos will be the way I go. And I'll look into the bags solution - thanks for that one.

Bob

Just an old guy in an old truck...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Hardhead

Check out a hydro boost installation.

1998 ZR2 extended cab. Lots mods to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page