Zr5 ABS module - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldeerslayer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey guy had a question will a ABS module from a 2004 Chevy s10 ls zr5 fit in a 03 gmc Sonoma crew cab sls 4wd?
Is the ABS MODULE compatible? My abs light and ebrake light are on so was wondering if it work? Please lmk guys thanks
ALOHA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Re: Zr5 ABS module

AFAIK they're the same, IF they came from the same model truck or blazer. 4wd to 4wd, 2wd to 2wd, zr2 to zr2.
Zr5 is just a trim package, so that doesn't matter. The 4wd module will work on it.
I realize shipping can be an issue for the Aloha state, but there are places on the mainland that can rebuild them in a day for < $50 + shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-S10-B...aSv6X#shpCntId
The truck is driveable while the module is in transit. Just no ABS. Which you don't have now, anyway.
There are You Tube vids on how to do he solder repair yourself. Be sure to use a magnifying glass to be sure to spot all solder joint cracks. A high percentage of first time DIYers do it twice because they miss a spot or two.
RangerWeaver likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Its not just the solder joints that fail
I would rebuild yours
the program in it is for your truck.
If the 3 character code matches on both(paper tag thats most likely missing or illegible) then its a dead match.
Ive had good luck with this guy,he replaces the stuff with heavy duty parts so it wont fail again.
Ive done the solder reflow trick and a year later something else pop up.
Just be glad its easy to get to unlike the full size thats under the drivers seat on the frame. How lame is that.
Brians speedo/module repair

https://www.gaugerepairman.com/

post #4 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
AFAIK they're the same, IF they came from the same model truck or blazer. 4wd to 4wd, 2wd to 2wd, zr2 to zr2.
Zr5 is just a trim package, so that doesn't matter. The 4wd module will work on it.
I realize shipping can be an issue for the Aloha state, but there are places on the mainland that can rebuild them in a day for < $50 + shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-S10-B...aSv6X#shpCntId
The truck is driveable while the module is in transit. Just no ABS. Which you don't have now, anyway.
There are You Tube vids on how to do he solder repair yourself. Be sure to use a magnifying glass to be sure to spot all solder joint cracks. A high percentage of first time DIYers do it twice because they miss a spot or two.
Oh I see I mean I really don’t trust myself reubuilding it and living in the aloha state I’ll be hard to find guys who ca rebuilding it should I just grab a used ABS module it’s from a guy parting out his zr5 down here?
post #5 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime-dozen View Post
I would rebuild yours
If the 3 character code matches on both(paper tag thats most likely missing or illegible) then its a dead match.
Ive had good luck with this guy,he replaces the stuff with heavy duty parts so it wont fail again.
Just be glad its easy to get to unlike the full size thats under the drivers seat on the frame. How lame is that.

I would try to repair but I’m really not knowledgeable about theses kind of things would it just be better to get a used one? There’s a zr5 being parted out so just was wondering if that would work?
post #6 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 PM

Can't see why it wouldn't work.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

so should I take the chance you of swapping the module with that zr5 module or should I just find the same year model module? I check online for aftermarket ABS module I seen that autozone, Napa and oriley carry the module also but are they worth it?
post #8 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 06:31 AM

I can't tell you if it's a good idea to buy a used part or not. That's your call. But it will fit. Whether or not it is any good is the question. I sure as heck wouldn't buy a new one for a zillion bucks, tho. Send yours to the repair service and pay a little extra shipping. The USPS does serve HI, just not as quick.

I just received an A/C pulley from Hong Kong yesterday and the shipping was an extra $20 to get it in under a week.
Nowhere near the $300 to $500 a LAPS sells rebuilt ones for.

Or buy the used one if it's cheap enough and send it to the mainland for repair. Then swap them when it gets there.
Still a lot less moola.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 AM

last time I had him rebuild one it was something like $70 including return shipping.
when you rebuild the one that was OEM you know the programming is right for your model.
Buying a used unit will most likely get you more of the prone to fail same.
Buy the used unit,send yours in for repair,sell the used unit after you get yours back.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't tell you if it's a good idea to buy a used part or not. That's your call. But it will fit. Whether or not it is any good is the question. I sure as heck wouldn't buy a new one for a zillion bucks, tho. Send yours to the repair service and pay a little extra shipping. The USPS does serve HI, just not as quick.

I just received an A/C pulley from Hong Kong yesterday and the shipping was an extra $20 to get it in under a week.
Nowhere near the $300 to $500 a LAPS sells rebuilt ones for.

Or buy the used one if it's cheap enough and send it to the mainland for repair. Then swap them when it gets there.
Still a lot less moola.
I checked online and it seemed that autozone had the cheapest prices like a couple hundred dollars and the price at was around $300 so would that still be a decent price I know it’s not oem but it does replace oem specs right?
post #11 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
last time I had him rebuild one it was something like $70 including return shipping.
when you rebuild the one that was OEM you know the programming is right for your model.
Buying a used unit will most likely get you more of the prone to fail same.
Buy the used unit,send yours in for repair,sell the used unit after you get yours back.
So what would be the difference if I bought a new aftermarket one from autozone, Napa or O’Reilly would the programming be different will need to be programmed?
post #12 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Do the math
for under 100 and no programming you can get yours rebuilt with better components than OEM or replacements.
Yes the replacements need to be programmed.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would rebuild yours

Okay so how does this work I click on the link for Brian’s repair. So I clicked on module repair and so it $75 for the repair device services would that mean I would have to remove my module and send my module in for repair through mail package?
post #14 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do the math
for under 100 and no programming you can get yours rebuilt with better components than OEM or replacements.
Yes the replacements need to be programmed.
So what would need to be programmed with the aftermarket parts replacements?
post #15 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 PM

If you simply unplug the electrical connector and remove the 4 torx screws that hold the EBCM on and send it in for repair, when it comes back, put it back on and you're done. No programming needed. You can drive the truck in the meantime and the ABS and brake light will be on like they are now. Might want to wrap a plastic bag and some tape around the pump to keep everything inside clean. No off roading.
Done it a couple times. Very simple.
It's when you start messing with new unprogrammed ones or swapping used parts that there are issues which require a high end 2 way scanner or dealer to cure.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you simply unplug the electrical connector and remove the 4 torx screws that hold the EBCM on and send it in for repair, when it comes back, put it back on and you're done. No programming needed. You can drive the truck in the meantime and the ABS and brake light will be on like they are now. Might want to wrap a plastic bag and some tape around the pump to keep everything inside clean. No off roading.
Done it a couple times. Very simple.
It's when you start messing with new unprogrammed ones or swapping used parts that there are issues which require a high end 2 way scanner or dealer to cure.
Oh I see hey man thanks for the info I was thinking if i should cover the pump from getting any debris inside and yeah I’ll probably just send my oem mosule in for repair so that way I won’t run into any issues with the aftermarket ones lol probably will send it in to Brian’s speedometer repairs like what forum memeber dime-dozen mentioned
post #17 of 27 Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 AM

last time he did one for me it was 3 days from the time he got it until it was in my hands.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-19-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
last time he did one for me it was 3 days from the time he got it until it was in my hands.
Oh okay can you explain to me how does the process work so you have to take the module out and package it up with the receipt that you buy from paypal and put it in with the package and just send it to his address? Im sorry for asking this it’s just I have never done anything like this nor did I send anything to the mainland! Lol
post #19 of 27 Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 PM
B4U Task Force

The seller should be able to answer all of your questions and explain how it works.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #20 of 27 Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
The seller should be able to answer all of your questions and explain how it works.
Yeah I’ll try to contact the seller about shipping I did find a repair shop down here but they wanted over $400 for a rebuild!
post #21 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 12:36 AM

That's freaking ridiculous.
He thinks he has a captive audience. He's forgetting that all the shipping companies, including USPS, have or use jet aircraft.
It takes 1/2 an hour including testing before shipping and the guys we use guarantee their work.
The guy I use charges $50 including return shipping. To the mainland.

The rebuilder will provide his address. You pack it up with a copy of your ebay receipt and include your address and send it. Probably will take a couple extra days since you're a bit farther west than we are.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 AM
B4U Task Force

FYI...FedEx Express provides lift for Priority & Express mail from the USPS.

Apple Red 96 SS
post #23 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's freaking ridiculous.
He thinks he has a captive audience. He's forgetting that all the shipping companies, including USPS, have or use jet aircraft.
It takes 1/2 an hour including testing before shipping and the guys we use guarantee their work.
The guy I use charges $50 including return shipping. To the mainland.

The rebuilder will provide his address. You pack it up with a copy of your ebay receipt and include your address and send it. Probably will take a couple extra days since you're a bit farther west than we are.
Do you have a particular guys you recommend who can rebuild modules? These companies in Hawaii are a rip off! I would never want to pay over $400 for a rebuilt one it’s more than buying a brand new module Lol
post #24 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
FYI...FedEx Express provides lift for Priority & Express mail from the USPS.
I was thinking of going with UPS instead of USPS due to I feel like they would handle my package more carefully than the post office lol probably might cost a little extra but if they handle it with care than I don’t see anything wrong with that
post #25 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Personally I prefer FedEx. UPS has been rude to my SO and leaves packages at our gate sometimes. 1/2 mile from the house. In the rain. And they don't do Saturday delivery. When I order from Rockauto they always arrive a day before the projected delivery.
Look above for 2 recommended places.
post #26 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally I prefer FedEx. UPS has been rude to my SO and leaves packages at our gate sometimes. 1/2 mile from the house. In the rain. And they don't do Saturday delivery. When I order from Rockauto they always arrive a day before the projected delivery.
Look above for 2 recommended places.
Oh I see sorry to hear haven’t had any issues with ups yet. I talk to ups and like how they can package up your item and re assure you insurance in which your item is damaged they will reimburse you. Haven’t tried fed ex either.
post #27 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 PM
B4U Task Force

I'm partial to FedEx Express...having worked there for 35 years has me a little biased...lol

Apple Red 96 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page