HVAC Fan issue - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
01S10 Owner

HVAC Fan issue

Ok... I'm officially stumped and would appreciate any suggestions. It's a 2001 S10 2.2L LS. Manual HVAC controls.

The AC is working great in this hot Atlanta weather... but the fan refuses to operate at all when I move the fan speed selector to position "4"... high speed. Positions 1-3 operate as expected. But, turn it to position 4 and the fan simply dies.

Now, the odd thing is that this only happens when the AC is on. If I turn the mode selector to anything other than AC or MaxAC... the fan blasts fine in position 4.

What's even more odd (to me) is that if I select a non-AC mode and flip the fan to position 4... the fan revs up as it should... and if I then change the mode switch to AC or MaxAC the fan continues to run at full speed and stays running as expected in position 4. If I then flip the speed selector to any other fan speed position and then try to go back to high speed... it won't work.

So... the fan dies and won't run at all in position 4 as long as the mode switch is in an AC mode... but runs fine at position 4 high speed in any other mode... and continues to rin at high speed in AC mode once it's started at high speed from a non-AC mode... and won't go back to running at high speed when in AC mode if I turn it down and then try to turn it back up.

I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Now, the o

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Post Whore

I would say to check the high speed relay and the resistor.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
01S10 Owner

Dumb question probably... but where exactly is the high speed relay? I can't seem to find any references to it anywhere.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Re: HVAC Fan issue

Typically they are in the vicinity of the evaporator core box in the engine bay. Pretty easy to get to. Not sure on the S10 though.

Ken T.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
01S10 Owner

Changed the relay. Same problem. Any other ideas? I’m gonna try to trace the circuit this weekend.

Is everyone crazy... or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page