Dizzy cap - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Dizzy cap

I've been having an issue every since i bought the truck the distributor cap and rotor get green corrosion on the inside contacts I've been thru every cap even ac delco and nothing is helping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 PM
B4U Task Force

Re: Dizzy cap

Make sure the vents at the bottom of the distributor body are clear. They don't go straight down...kind of a dogleg. Also...use oem ignition parts...all of the. S10's are funny that way.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #3 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
Make sure the vents at the bottom of the distributor body are clear. They don't go straight down...kind of a dogleg. Also...use oem ignition parts...all of the. S10's are funny that way.
Yes i did even spent the money on a new ac delco distributor and capan rotor i get more time with the duralast gold i get bout 3 to 5 months with them all others bout 2 months max

post #4 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 12:42 AM
B4U Task Force

Post some pics of the problem. Is it degrading performance?

Apple Red 96 SS
post #5 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Yes it starts by losing power then cel than coughing and sputtering i just exchanged the cap and rotor il get picks next time it does it i didnt think to get pics this time
post #6 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Did you remove the vent screens?
post #7 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy182 View Post
Did you remove the vent screens?
There are no screens on the plastic distributors. The vent is a narrow slot bent like a dog leg. I suppose if it were a cancer, it could be drilled out.

Apple Red 96 SS
post #8 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
There are no screens on the plastic distributors. The vent is a narrow slot bent like a dog leg. I suppose if it were a cancer, it could be drilled out.
This is incorrect. Plastic base OEM distributors indeed had vent screens that a TSB instructed to remove. However, the vent holes beneath the screens are shaped dog leg
post #9 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 PM
B4U Task Force

Got a pic of one with the screen?. I have one on the bench that I double checked. They may have changed at some point, but the one I have has fairly small slots. Got a copy of the TSB? I picked this up in the yard from a 2000ish Blazer that had zero mods so I can't see it being modded by the po...

Stinking auto correct...should have said concern...not cancer.

Apple Red 96 SS
post #10 of 16 Old 04-22-2019, 10:33 PM

Do you live somewhere with extremely high humidity like south of New Orleans? Copper will corrode if there's too much moisture in the air.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

The distributor has the screens inplace but the original dist had only one screen the other probably fell out and i lived in southern California for most of the trucks life i did buy the AC Delco distributor vs the cheaper ones everyone had horror stories about the electronics does anyone know a metal distributor for the cpi 4.3
post #12 of 16 Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner490 View Post
The distributor has the screens inplace but the original dist had only one screen the other probably fell out and i lived in southern California for most of the trucks life i did buy the AC Delco distributor vs the cheaper ones everyone had horror stories about the electronics does anyone know a metal distributor for the cpi 4.3
I've got a metal one I got from the local CarQuest right before they bought out/merged with the local Napa. I've also installed a couple of the "World Power System" ones that are on RockAutoc.com for $54 ish plus shipping. BTW, the CarQuest one I got was part number "WP1639" and the World Power Systems ones are "DST1639," so I suspect that my CarQuest one was made by World Power Systems.

In my experience, any metal dizzy (even the Chineseum alloy ones on Amazon) is better than the plastic originals. Usually, the metal ones need an AC-Delco cap and rotor fairly soon, or if your AC Delco cap and rotor are good, transfer them to the metal dizzy. You could even transfer your original CMP sensor, but I generally don't bother and haven't had CMP sensor issues with the metal replacements.

The one issue I've seen with a couple of really cheap ones ($3x on Amazon) is that sometimes the gear is installed backwards on some of the Chinese ones. Drive out the pin, spin the gear 180 and reninstall the pin and you're good to go if that happens.

If you can't light up the tires in the first three gears, you need more power.
If you can light up the tires in the first three gears, you need better tires.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Lifelong S-10 Owner

Garage
Send a message via MSN to 67Truckin

If extreme moisture is inside the dizzy cap, you could always drill a small hole into the cap and screw in a small brass port. Then hook up a small hose and direct it to a vacuum source to pull air thru the distributor and down the engine. This will keep the moisture out. It's commonly used with off road engines.

Built... not bought. Scars to prove it.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 AM

Wouldn't an open vacuum line cause driveability issues? The dist is open at the bottom at the port discussed earlier. Maybe connect the vacuum end to the top of the air filter housing so it is in front of the MAF. I would think even that slight vacuum would move enough air through the distributor to remove any moisture.
So Cal is among the last places I'd expect this type of issue.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner490 View Post
Yes it starts by losing power then cel than coughing and sputtering i just exchanged the cap and rotor il get picks next time it does it i didnt think to get pics this time
The 4.3 L S 10 distributor has design flaw in that the high voltage has a very short flashover path. The spark wants to track down the inside of the distributor surface rather than going to the spark plug, especially in damp weather. A spark plug having a lower firing voltage will help. A NGK OE Lazer Iridium gapped at .040" in. will have a lower demand voltage and will greatly reduce the frequency of distributor part replacement. These plugs are expensive but should help. Be sure to select the correct heat range recommended for your application.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrh3h1973 View Post
The 4.3 L S 10 distributor has design flaw in that the high voltage has a very short flashover path. The spark wants to track down the inside of the distributor surface rather than going to the spark plug, especially in damp weather. A spark plug having a lower firing voltage will help. A NGK OE Lazer Iridium gapped at .040" in. will have a lower demand voltage and will greatly reduce the frequency of distributor part replacement. These plugs are expensive but should help. Be sure to select the correct heat range recommended for your application.
I live in the PacNW, long recognized as the rain capitol of the US. Never had that kind of problem so IK think your answer is short sighted. If that were the problem with S10 distributors, and lets throw in the 5.7 distributors of the same era, I'm pretty sure GM would have come up with a cure by now. Plug gap plays a big role in emissions, so I wouldn't mess with that. GM ignition parts are some of the best out there...why mess with success? His problem lies elsewhere. He's been asked for pics...but none so far.

Apple Red 96 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page