Anyone ever ELIMINATE the cab mounts? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
94 4x4,01 Blazer

Anyone ever ELIMINATE the cab mounts?

looking for creative solution- cab mounts themselves are burn toast- but cab floor and surrounding stucture ok- was debating making a sub frame and welding everything solid- hoping for a stiffer ride- have a power seat that soaks up the bumps anyway,, and run yoko geolanders that are fairly quiet and do not really seem to be bothered by pot holes(fairly quiet as a bonus)- thoughts anyone? and a cab transplant not in the budget- plus being in the New England area am hard pressed to find anythingbetter without buying a complete truck that you wouldn't mind tearing apart- rust you now? this is for my '94 4x4 with 4.3 - runs great 18mpg- starts every time- just the rot is getting ahead of my ability and wallet to weld in new steel

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM
EZA

Re: Anyone ever ELIMINATE the cab mounts?

I've heard guys complain about the stiff ride after switching to urethane cab mounts...don't think I'd risk it.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM
LS3 Cruisin'

I run urethane cab mounts... would never go back to rubber. They're great. NVH not an issue.

As far as welding solid... not sure what you're welding to and from. If the mounts are just shot, replace them with new.

My mount cups were rusty as **** but they wire wheel cleaned up fine. My frame horns were fine, and under the cab fine.

You'd want to put in like a solid spacer otherwise your cab to fender won't line up. You'd still want to use the frame to cab bolts. I doubt there is enough meat to make a good weld directly from one to the other.

TLDR- welding sounds sketch to me... post some pictures of the condition and we can give better advice, but best advice would be just to put new mounts in. If your frame ears are that shot, odds are other areas on your frame are as well?

post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM

I think he's talking about the actual floor of the cab being eaten away where the mounts bolt on. Seen many cases of this in the salt belt. New cab is about the only real cure. But like 98Sonosls says the frame is likely near shot also.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
94 4x4,01 Blazer

strangely the frame is in good condition- had to fish plate back at the rear shock mounts as last 1/4 was a little floppy.- Cab mount themselves....1 and 2 at rad support are ok , 3 and 4 rotted thru-both sholder and bolt, 5 is MISSING and 6 is just the bolt- no rubber no sholder at all- price of truck was $5 of gas, 1hour of tinkering to free up brakes,1hour of cutting brush,and a jump start(sat for ???(largest maple sapling was 3inch in diameter- bed long gone- flat bed made with -get this - hand saw OAK 2x2 and plywood- guy parked it because dr door would not shut- and yes it needs hinge bushing- but the cab is suck in front of door

32yrs of wrenching- 8 for Uncle Sam and the rest at various Garages.A bit of knowledge on everything from 2cyc Weedeaters to Jet turbines,with Civil Engineering and Computer As/Repair as a kicker.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM

why not just part it out
sounds like an accident waiting for a place to happen.
Yes Im spoiled with plenty of rust free bodies down here,and the junkyards are still full of them.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
94 4x4,01 Blazer

five boneyards within an hour- they have 1-89, 1-91, 1-2000 pancake, and 1-2002 subcompact blazer- nothing usable for a cab swap- its my beater anyway- restoring the 2001 LT blazer i got for $0000.00 . need beater to run around and do errands with- like get lumber,top soil, fertilizer(manure) - things you really don't want to put IN a blazer that your family rides in. Just wondering if anyone has gone the solid route before- no worse that the **** unibody cars that are out there. Frame solid everywhere BUT the **** mounts- guy ran huge mug lugs and no mud flaps- he did **** job undercoating it- drivers side floor needed repanning and passanger was pinholes- but frame is good except for the patch i mentioned above.PS got welder and knowledge- got a sand driveway-NO lift, got jack stands- just waiting for MUD season to be over- yes ,that is a thing around here.Priorities for money- 125 year old house- needs- well- updating and maintainence and the blazer and wife's Subaru(sucked head gaskets-duhh!) and then my old *** 94..... so money tight as **** for my personal project.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 PM

I have repaired mounting ears before with large washers on top and bottom.
Im not understanding how you would weld the frame to the body as the body is held
on the mounts with a cage nut and its only sheet metal in that area.
are the cage nuts still intact?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

A unibody is NOT a full-frame welded to a body.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 11:13 PM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

When I lived in Ohio I had a buddy with a 2 door boxbody blazer that the floor where the cab mounts to the frame in the front broke off on both sides...the actual floor of the truck rotted away!! the body had fallen in the front,and over bumps the entire body would be like BLAM!! load AF! Scary too once I realized what was broken..he was like ďitís my torsion bar mounts. I had them replaced once already.Ē Nah bro,your truck is like a a couple bumps away from the body breaking off the frame completely.

OP,Iíd say drive your fertilizer poop truck as is till ya get another car,or try wood. Wedge some wood up in there,and run some big ol screws all kinds of ways will you feel itís aight old Fords had wooden frames...since weíre contemplating welding the body to the frame using unibody vehicles as the reasoning behind that method to address your issue...I present the Ford wooden frame for consideration.

Btw,....dude with the blazer jacked the body up in the front,cut out some pieces of wood,knocked all the loose stuff off with a BF hammer,pulled the carpet up,and ran big screws into the wood..put the carpet back,and ran screws up from the bottom..painted it all with that rubberized undercoating,..drove it for like a month so all that undercoating got dirty like the rest of the truck,and sold it...he drove to Tennessee,and bought another one that wasnít rusted..swapped over all his new parts,newer tires,and aftermarket stuff. Sold the rust bucket for more then he paid for the truck from Tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
I turned mine into an Oldsmobile, bitches love Oldsmobiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page