Sanden compressor FACTS and info. - Page 2 - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 85 Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Truck #121616

Send a message via MSN to Golana
Re: Sanden compressor FACTS and info.

sorry to dig up an old threa, but i seen that it had been resurrected once before, so i dont feel so bad :P besides, ive been searching for the past 4 hours on this, and not found too much...

first off, i have a sanden 508, and i have it mounted in my 1st gen in the idler pully location, had to build a custom bracket, but it works perfect!

so, my question is about the oil mod... what is it, and how is it done?

Project CumminS10 : 1992 S10 Ext Cab 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 85 Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Send a message via AIM to layinbody31 Send a message via MSN to layinbody31

Doug,

Any chance you still have the pictures from this thread or have links that work? I just pulled the head off of my SD7V16 to tap it for 3/8" NPT and thanks to this thread I now have the torque specs to put it back on properly. However, I took the gasket and 'valve' plates out of it and I noticed this said they recommend to replace them. I was just going to put them back in but do you think they'll leak?? Also, I took the center 7star 'discharge' valve & lift restrictor plate out (out of curiosity) and it doesn't seem to have any alignment holes or pins or anything for reinstalling it. Am I missing something? Or do you just 'eye it up'? I don't want to mess it up and have blow-by.

Lastly, would it be any big deal to have a check valve on the intake side of the compressor? I'm using a ViAir leader hose to run from the suction port to an oiler mounted on the firewall (and it's the perfect length) but it has the built in check valve. Let me know and THANKS!
post #53 of 85 Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Send a message via AIM to DJDAudio Send a message via Yahoo to DJDAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinbody31 View Post
Doug,

Any chance you still have the pictures from this thread or have links that work? I just pulled the head off of my SD7V16 to tap it for 3/8" NPT and thanks to this thread I now have the torque specs to put it back on properly. However, I took the gasket and 'valve' plates out of it and I noticed this said they recommend to replace them. I was just going to put them back in but do you think they'll leak?? Also, I took the center 7star 'discharge' valve & lift restrictor plate out (out of curiosity) and it doesn't seem to have any alignment holes or pins or anything for reinstalling it. Am I missing something? Or do you just 'eye it up'? I don't want to mess it up and have blow-by.

Lastly, would it be any big deal to have a check valve on the intake side of the compressor? I'm using a ViAir leader hose to run from the suction port to an oiler mounted on the firewall (and it's the perfect length) but it has the built in check valve. Let me know and THANKS!
hmm May have lost those pics in a HD crash I had some time ago, let me check,

About your questions, I have been able to reuse the gaskets as long as they are in good shape no rips tears or nicks.

the bolts will align everything as you assemble it.

Also do not run a Viair leader hose on the inlet, much MUCH more air is sucked in the inlet of the compressor. for a compressor takes high volume low pressure air and makes it into high pressure low volume air. So the input hose should be at least 1.5X larger then the output hose size.

I used a stainless braided hot water tank line from lowes for my inlet lol
Hope that helps!

The opinions and views expressed in the above post are the intellectual property of DJDAudio. The above mentioned information shall also hold no legal binding against Doug DeHaven in the court of law.

---\\\CALCULATE Compressor fill time HERE ///---

QUOTE: (Kevdog00) "You sir are like the Einstein of Mini Truckin'! lol"

post #54 of 85 Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDAudio View Post
hmm May have lost those pics in a HD crash I had some time ago, let me check,

About your questions, I have been able to reuse the gaskets as long as they are in good shape no rips tears or nicks.

the bolts will align everything as you assemble it.

Also do not run a Viair leader hose on the inlet, much MUCH more air is sucked in the inlet of the compressor. for a compressor takes high volume low pressure air and makes it into high pressure low volume air. So the input hose should be at least 1.5X larger then the output hose size.

I used a stainless braided hot water tank line from lowes for my inlet lol
Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info on the gaskets As far as reassembly goes though, I'm not sure you know what I'm referring to with my 'alignment' issue. I'm talking about the 7star shape exhaust/discharge 'valve' and it's holder/limiter (pictured below):

And it attaches to this (which I found to be a 'proportioning valve'):

However, the proportioning valve has nothing that aligns it within the compressor body, and it seems that there is nothing that aligns the exhaust/discharge 'valve' over the ports. There is just the nut that tightens it down to the prop valve, but the prop valve just pushes down into the body. Am I missing something?

And as far as the leader hoses go, would it be ok to use the 3/8" ViAir leader hose on the discharge side of the comp and then run 1/2" leader on the intake behind a 1/2" oiler and a breather filter? I would think that the hose sizes would be ok (since the area of 1/2" line is more than 1.5x the area of 3/8" line), but I would be worried that the ViAir leader is a little too short to be used on the discharge side due to the heat generated by the comp. Plus I've heard that you need an all-metal check valve to be able to handle the heat from the comp and I dunno that the ViAir one is all metal. Any input?

Thanks again for all your help
post #55 of 85 Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
moxion234

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the gaskets As far as reassembly goes though, I'm not sure you know what I'm referring to with my 'alignment' issue. I'm talking about the 7star shape exhaust/discharge 'valve' and it's holder/limiter (pictured below):

And it attaches to this (which I found to be a 'proportioning valve'):

However, the proportioning valve has nothing that aligns it within the compressor body, and it seems that there is nothing that aligns the exhaust/discharge 'valve' over the ports. There is just the nut that tightens it down to the prop valve, but the prop valve just pushes down into the body. Am I missing something?

And as far as the leader hoses go, would it be ok to use the 3/8" ViAir leader hose on the discharge side of the comp and then run 1/2" leader on the intake behind a 1/2" oiler and a breather filter? I would think that the hose sizes would be ok (since the area of 1/2" line is more than 1.5x the area of 3/8" line), but I would be worried that the ViAir leader is a little too short to be used on the discharge side due to the heat generated by the comp. Plus I've heard that you need an all-metal check valve to be able to handle the heat from the comp and I dunno that the ViAir one is all metal. Any input?

Thanks again for all your help
i just blew the viar line on mine last week the check valve held but the crimped on swivel fitting is what melted... i would suggest running stailess all the way to the tank and mount every thing has close to the take has possable.... just to give u an idea i have now offically melted 3 ptc fitting (all of this is after the leader line) one water trap and the swivel fitting i mentioned earlier.... now i will say that i up'd my air and press so mine is running way hotter than it was... which is why i just bought another sanden lol trust me man you cant go wrong with 6 foot of stainless... just make sure the end that goes to the comp isnt held together with crimp/glue..

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic132479_1.gif/https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/sanden-427016

lol dude just because shes a whore doesnt mean he was dumb enough to throw a hotdog down the herp hallway!
post #56 of 85 Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Yeah I've been pricing out a 3/8" stainless line from my local hose guy. For a 6 foot long line its 60 bucks. But I might make it a little longer so it can connect right to the tank and then put a swivel fitting on the tank end to hook up to the check valve/water trap/tank/etc. I'll also probably get a 1/2" stainless leader made for the intake side too so it is able to flow more volume like Doug said and also so then I don't have to mess with the whole check valve on the intake issue.
post #57 of 85 Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM
moxion234

that would b the best plan

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic132479_1.gif/https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/sanden-427016

lol dude just because shes a whore doesnt mean he was dumb enough to throw a hotdog down the herp hallway!
post #58 of 85 Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Well I picked up my stainless braided lines for the compressor, am in the process of tapping out the head, and will hopefully be re-installing the head shortly, but I need to know about the 7star exhaust valve/limiter

Doug, do you know of any alignment and/or torque specs on the nut that holds it all down??
post #59 of 85 Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Well I picked up my stainless braided lines for the compressor, am in the process of tapping out the head, and will hopefully be re-installing the head shortly, but I need to know about the 7star exhaust valve/limiter

Doug, do you know of any alignment and/or torque specs on the nut that holds it all down??
Somewhere lol

Still no luck finding all my old info

The opinions and views expressed in the above post are the intellectual property of DJDAudio. The above mentioned information shall also hold no legal binding against Doug DeHaven in the court of law.

post #60 of 85 Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM

can someone please tell me how to change my coil or clutch. my problem is that the coil came loose and now spinning with the actual clutch
post #61 of 85 Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys1024 View Post
can someone please tell me how to change my coil or clutch. my problem is that the coil came loose and now spinning with the actual clutch
Post #4 of this thread has instructions on how to remove the clutch and coil.

post #62 of 85 Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Doug do you have any idea why my SD7V16 isn't pumping any air? I have an oiler, 1/2" braided s/s suction line, 3/8" braided s/s discharge line, check valve, water trap, etc... it's hooked up to electricity, the clutch engages and spins the compressor, but I get nothing. Is there a pressure relief valve on the head or something? Is there some port somewhere that I need to plug up or cap off? I'm sick of this thing being on my truck but not working
post #63 of 85 Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Doug do you have any idea why my SD7V16 isn't pumping any air? I have an oiler, 1/2" braided s/s suction line, 3/8" braided s/s discharge line, check valve, water trap, etc... it's hooked up to electricity, the clutch engages and spins the compressor, but I get nothing. Is there a pressure relief valve on the head or something? Is there some port somewhere that I need to plug up or cap off? I'm sick of this thing being on my truck but not working
Was it used when you got it?

If you can shut the engine down remove the lines from the compressor and rotate the center of the clutch by hand while holding your finger over the suction, if no suction you have either a snapped or stuck valve plate or if the center clutch spins very freely a snapped main shaft.

The valves you can pull the bolts from the head to inspect.

post #64 of 85 Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 AM
ob1
Registered Users

I have a Sanden SD6 I fitted with a custom bracketfor airing wheels after offroading.

I opened it up, all looked well inside valves good. But when I fit it, and give it a go, it gives only a litle air. Like a mouse with asthma. When I turn the shaft the pistons move as it should.

Also, it gives a horible chirp. Initially it did nothing, after 5 minutes the chirp started becoming gradually worse, only disappear for a while with Q10 on the belt.

Any ideas?
I am sure the mounting was done right. I am reopening to check for dirt inside, the compressor was open on the table for long, maybe it is dust...
post #65 of 85 Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1 View Post
I have a Sanden SD6 I fitted with a custom bracketfor airing wheels after offroading.

I opened it up, all looked well inside valves good. But when I fit it, and give it a go, it gives only a litle air. Like a mouse with asthma. When I turn the shaft the pistons move as it should.

Also, it gives a horible chirp. Initially it did nothing, after 5 minutes the chirp started becoming gradually worse, only disappear for a while with Q10 on the belt.

Any ideas?
I am sure the mounting was done right. I am reopening to check for dirt inside, the compressor was open on the table for long, maybe it is dust...
Make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the crank case. Also if left open to the elements, the remaining ester oil from when it was used as a AC compressor can combine with the moisture in the air and form an acidic reaction that can etch the metal, this will allow rust and oxidation to form on the machined surfaces. All of the above can cause the chirping as well as drop in compression.

Also was it from a junk yard? Allot of old compressors may have gone bad but been left in the car

post #66 of 85 Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDAudio View Post
Was it used when you got it?

If you can shut the engine down remove the lines from the compressor and rotate the center of the clutch by hand while holding your finger over the suction, if no suction you have either a snapped or stuck valve plate or if the center clutch spins very freely a snapped main shaft.

The valves you can pull the bolts from the head to inspect.
I got the original one from a junkyard that I worked at several years ago. After it didn't work I got another one off of eBay and put the head from the first onto the new one (because the head was already drilled/tapped for NPT threads), but I still have nothing. Has the 'mouse with asthma' low pumping issue that ob1 is having with his. Everything engages/spins/cycles properly I just don't get any air

The sooner I can get this figured out the better because I think my backup ViAir 480 that has been my only comp for now just blew up this morning
post #67 of 85 Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
ob1
Registered Users

Thanks DJDA. Should mention it was indoors, I think I am going to take the whole thing apart and check.
post #68 of 85 Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
I got the original one from a junkyard that I worked at several years ago. After it didn't work I got another one off of eBay and put the head from the first onto the new one (because the head was already drilled/tapped for NPT threads), but I still have nothing. Has the 'mouse with asthma' low pumping issue that ob1 is having with his. Everything engages/spins/cycles properly I just don't get any air

The sooner I can get this figured out the better because I think my backup ViAir 480 that has been my only comp for now just blew up this morning

That is the strange thing, if the pistons are moving they physically have to be moving a god bit of air for they have at least 7CF of displacement.

This may sound silly but is your head built for center suction and the model you have center discharge?

If the pistons are moving and no air is coming out the valves are to blame.

To check for internal blow-by put compressed air on the output of the compressor very little should come out of the suction side.

also put compressed air into the oil fill port if you hear allot of air hissing out either port there is a ring or internal passage blow through.

post #69 of 85 Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM
ob1
Registered Users

Should I use gas to clean the inside, or is there a better chemical?

I have Benzine and thinners at home
post #70 of 85 Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Should I use gas to clean the inside, or is there a better chemical?

I have Benzine and thinners at home
isopropyl alcohol just make sure to re oil the parts when done.

post #71 of 85 Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM

i looking for a clutch for my 709 any advice i already did the grease mod and it works great other than it sounds like i need a new clutch bearing.

destroy everything do it for your hood.
turn signal then brake stupid!!!!
post #72 of 85 Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 AM
ob1
Registered Users

opened it up over the weekend. Cleaned the valves. There was minor rust on the valve seats, it rubbed right off with the alcohol.

Re-assembled it turns nicely. But when I blow into the suction port, some air excape from behind the pulley and clutch.

To me that sounds like
1 one or more pistons are shot
2 Breather between the crank case and head is not working as it should.

What do you guys think?
post #73 of 85 Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
opened it up over the weekend. Cleaned the valves. There was minor rust on the valve seats, it rubbed right off with the alcohol.

Re-assembled it turns nicely. But when I blow into the suction port, some air excape from behind the pulley and clutch.

To me that sounds like
1 one or more pistons are shot
2 Breather between the crank case and head is not working as it should.

What do you guys think?
Yea, Definitely no air should come out of the front main seal. Something does not sound right.

post #74 of 85 Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM

ok what about if i have a full tank after i park the truck for the day and in the morning it is empty i only have a slight leak at the dump for a rear bag but nothing else, i checked both water traps, not leaking could the compressor some how be leaking there is a check valve after so i didnt think it would leak
post #75 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 AM
ob1
Registered Users

New pump and gave up on a oil less system. Every time I open something it does not want to work.

I have an inline oiler and steel tank. I plan to oil the suction port of the pump and drain it out of the tank. I have a T piece that takes the pressure to the dash trough the firewall and that is taken from the pipe that goes from the compressor to the tank.

Should I install a oil seperator for the sake of the gauge? Will teh oil stuff the gauge up?

What is the best kind of oil? Viscosity?
post #76 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
New pump and gave up on a oil less system. Every time I open something it does not want to work.

I have an inline oiler and steel tank. I plan to oil the suction port of the pump and drain it out of the tank. I have a T piece that takes the pressure to the dash trough the firewall and that is taken from the pipe that goes from the compressor to the tank.

Should I install a oil seperator for the sake of the gauge? Will teh oil stuff the gauge up?

What is the best kind of oil? Viscosity?
Buy a colisating filter and put it at the tank. this will grab most oil. if you get oil in the tank it will get into everything.

Best oil, straight weight 30 NO mltiweight like 10w/30
Some find thicker better on used comps. Also make sure you maintain proper crankcase oil levels.

post #77 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Why don't you do the grease mod ..I Google searched sanden grease or something think I ended up at 4 wheel drive yota site

post #78 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillie000 View Post
Why don't you do the grease mod ..I Google searched sanden grease or something think I ended up at 4 wheel drive yota site
The grease conversion will only net you about 3.5 years for a service life. The grease is just too thick to get into the small joints needed to maintain proper lubrication.

post #79 of 85 Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

The only thing I didn't notice was how much grease to put in it . D should I add some graphfite to my grease?

post #80 of 85 Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
DIZZLE

Send a message via AIM to chuckles7064 Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles7064

How full do you fill the crankcase with oil? I can't find an answer and all the links are dead!

Low Xpectations
post #81 of 85 Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

What model?

post #82 of 85 Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM
DIZZLE

sd508

Low Xpectations
post #83 of 85 Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
DIZZLE

should i just do the coat hanger thing? an inch up from the bottom of the comp equal full?

Low Xpectations
post #84 of 85 Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered Users

Question Re: Sanden compressor FACTS and info.

i got a couple questions... how fast do i have to spin the clutch n a sd7h15.. i came up on two at the junkyard today...also can i swap from the 7groove to a 2groove cluth/pulley for it? i have an sbc...sos..i have 29 days to figure out if i should return these comps and look for something else..thanks
post #85 of 85 Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered Users

i cant get any suction ons port
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page