S-10 Forum

S-10 Forum (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/forum.php)
-   Baggin' It (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/baggin-it/)
-   -   Draggin Balls... hitch that is. (https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f125/draggin-balls-hitch-that-is-144561/)

DJDAudio 11-15-2004 12:48 PM

Draggin Balls... hitch that is.

Here is the bracket I made up for the install.

http://24.3.161.138/hitch.jpg

3/8" thick galvanized sp? steel angle.

they will bolt up to the side of my frame.

top bolt will be a grade 8 1/2" bolt

lower bolt will be a non grade 3/8" bolt.
That way if I hit a pot hole the bottom bolt will snap and the hitch mount will pivit out of the way saving my frame. ( thanks to 98layingframe for that idia)

I will try to get pics with them mounted soon.

Derrick71 11-15-2004 12:53 PM

Re: Draggin Balls... hitch that is.

You Going To Mount The Bracket With 2 Bolts Or One?

n/m i see now

AVTekk 11-15-2004 01:33 PM

I can tell you that youre right on track, because most likely that bottom bolt will snap. Those hitch balls **** up the frame like nobodys business.

DJDAudio 11-15-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVTekk
I can tell you that youre right on track, because most likely that bottom bolt will snap. Those hitch balls **** up the frame like nobodys business.

yea my frame is all bent from hitch balls rev 1 lol

orangesonoma 11-15-2004 02:36 PM

yeah my frame is cracked in one spot from a hitch ball....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

98layinframe 11-15-2004 03:12 PM

thanks for the credit given :thumbup: But did ya ever figure out where your gona mount them? I guess i gotta get workin on mine too huh? :rant:

Bad94 11-15-2004 06:56 PM

So are we going to see some sparks saturday night?

ShavedSonoma 11-15-2004 06:58 PM

any particular reason for using the ball other then that they bolt on.

dropt98chevy 11-15-2004 07:01 PM

My leaf spring perch is all bent and tweaked up from when I drug hitch ball. I couldn't take it off when I was done so I took my angle grinder too it and it heated up and un spun itself LOL

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

any particular reason for using the ball other then that they bolt on
because they are 1. very cheap, and 2. readily available...just about everywhere, hell for those middle of the night drag cravings, you can go down to the local walmart and pick up a set and drag yourself some fun.

Quote:

My leaf spring perch is all bent and tweaked up from when I drug hitch ball. I couldn't take it off when I was done so I took my angle grinder too it and it heated up and un spun itself LOL
haha same thing happened to me, when i had my leafsprings on is when i used them and i had to actually remove them to get the damn hithc out because the shank bent the hole i mounted it in...lol those brackets might be a step in the right direction though...

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 07:13 PM

..what size shank are those ballhitches? 3\4? how did you drill a hole that big? using a drillpress or something?

DJDAudio 11-15-2004 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX_Racer32
..what size shank are those ballhitches? 3\4? how did you drill a hole that big? using a drillpress or something?

It is a 1" hole I had someone plasma the hole out for me ;)

damn can you see the size press I would need for a 1" bit to go through steel lol

blksdime03 11-15-2004 07:37 PM

damn those look good..u needa manke me some now :) ill pay ya :)

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 07:39 PM

...thats why i asked, wanna sell some brackets?? i dont have a damn plasma cutter.

DJDAudio 11-15-2004 07:43 PM

hmm let me see what I can get the raw materrials for hitch balls are like $4

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 07:56 PM

i dont need ball hithes, just the brakets. i got two new ballhitches here at the house from before..

dragginbalz 11-15-2004 08:00 PM

<~~~~~~

In no way am I affiliated with this post.

Thank you

t

nice01s10 11-15-2004 08:11 PM

nice...i wanna see a vid of it being used now

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 08:51 PM

my ballhitches used to throw more sparks then frame, or blocks, 75ft of sparks behind the truck easy at 50+mph.

Xtremeobsessions 11-15-2004 08:53 PM

they work good my buddy put them on his 68 caddy thats bagged sweetest thing i have ever seen drag

Killer Miked 11-15-2004 08:57 PM

werd, u should make these brackeets an sell them , or sumthing ;)

dropt98chevy 11-15-2004 08:58 PM

I took a picture with my camera phone hanging out the window that came out sweet as hell when I had my blocks on but then a turn was coming up with a dip before it so I brought my arm back in the window to air it back up and I closed the phone so it didn't save I wanted to cry.

Xtremeobsessions 11-15-2004 09:01 PM

to mount that to the frame i would just drill and tap a hole. it will be mint

jason_r83 11-15-2004 10:36 PM

I was thinkin,I'm still a couple of inches from laying frame in the rear. But I do have air over leaf and it gives me some up/down movement. If I were to attach the hitch balls hanging below the frame I could throw sparks when aired down but would drive with air up. I know its probably not cool to throw sparks if youre not layin frame, but I allways have tailgaters at night, so I could scare them off my back with a shower of sparks...

cain 11-15-2004 11:03 PM

mount them on the spring perch..and put it so when you lay out the ball itself its the frame..so it doesnt bend outwards..

orangesonoma 11-15-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nice01s10
nice...i wanna see a vid of it being used now

my s10 draggin balls last year....... >>>> video <<<<

MX_Racer32 11-15-2004 11:43 PM

..leave it to orangesonoma for a vid..lol

DJDAudio 11-15-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Miked
werd, u should make these brackeets an sell them , or sumthing ;)

I will send the plans to Jason lol

94bumpn_s10 11-16-2004 12:12 AM

I just asked djdaudio if he was building these for anyone that wanted them and he said he didnt have time. I have access to the machines to build these if anyone wants. you can send me a private message if would like a set.

anotherblacks10 11-16-2004 02:57 AM

Here's mine VID1
VID2

Mounted on the skidplate. Puts all the weight from the engine which makes more sparks than putting them on the frame. Sure they wear out faster but they're worth it. No adverse effects or damage to my truck from this yet.

DaZ98S10 11-16-2004 03:09 AM

i still have my rear bumper. so i just mount my hitchballs under there. hehe cheap and easy. i hit a few pot holes tho and it rounded out one side under the bumper hehehe..

orangesonoma 11-16-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX_Racer32
..leave it to orangesonoma for a vid..lol

yeah thats what i am here for...

blksdime03 11-16-2004 09:12 AM

dang after seeing those i want some ....but i dont wanna crack my frame!! come on man u gotta make some extra ones!

s10n20s 11-16-2004 09:30 AM

why does everyone use them if they f ur shit up

xbatmanx 11-16-2004 10:01 AM

they arent as menacing as it seems if tehy are used right, just remember they are designed to tow trailers that way freakin thousands of pounds, your frame is only like 3/16'"s thick hitchball is 1" thick so you have to respect them

Batz

ShavedSonoma 11-16-2004 08:03 PM

yup just like anything else theres always stipulations

94bumpn_s10 12-08-2004 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys...I already talked to DJDaudio about this so I wasnt whorin his thread, but I have some metal to build some brackets if anyone wants some...I am sendin them out to BlkSdime03 in the next couple days....I think I can get another 10 sets or so made with the metal I got and I can always get more...here is a pic. The ball is the wrong size in this pic, it is the only one I had layin around. I am sellin these for $25 shipped with bolts

89's15Jimmy 12-09-2004 12:18 AM

a pair or each...?

94bumpn_s10 12-09-2004 12:36 AM

I thought of that after I posted it...That is for a PAIR.....

94bumpn_s10 12-09-2004 12:39 AM

lemme refrase it...

$25 a PAIR, with bolts...this does not include the hitch balls cuz most ppl I talked to would rather get them themselves or already have them. So included is two brackets and the bolts to bolt it to the frame. Lemme know what size hole for the hitchball...I have a few 1", but I can do some 3/4" if needed.

LowOnAirS10 12-09-2004 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaZ98S10
i still have my rear bumper. so i just mount my hitchballs under there. hehe cheap and easy. i hit a few pot holes tho and it rounded out one side under the bumper hehehe..

Me too. I just bolt it on upside down and lay the back out....a lot easier than dragging my frame.

DJDAudio 12-09-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94bumpn_s10
hey guys...I already talked to DJDaudio about this so I wasnt whorin his thread, but I have some metal to build some brackets if anyone wants some...I am sendin them out to BlkSdime03 in the next couple days....I think I can get another 10 sets or so made with the metal I got and I can always get more...here is a pic. The ball is the wrong size in this pic, it is the only one I had layin around. I am sellin these for $25 shipped with bolts

Those are top notch man!

I still get 5% on every sale for my design right ;)
ha ha j/p

NCarolina910 12-09-2004 06:14 PM

I might have to buy a pair of those!!

I'll have the back bagged eventually... :(

dragginbalz 12-09-2004 07:18 PM

haha

only in the minitruckin' scene can someone drill a few holes in angle iron, and charge $25.00

awesome

Rock On!

t

NCarolina910 12-09-2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragginbalz
haha

only in the minitruckin' scene can someone drill a few holes in angle iron, and charge $25.00

awesome

Rock On!

t

hell more power to him

dymetyme95 12-09-2004 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherblacks10
Here's mine VID1
VID2

Mounted on the skidplate. Puts all the weight from the engine which makes more sparks than putting them on the frame. Sure they wear out faster but they're worth it. No adverse effects or damage to my truck from this yet.

yea I thought about mounting it there but couldnt get the top nut on the ball. I guess you have to make a hole at the top

94bumpn_s10 12-09-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragginbalz
haha

awesome

Rock On!

t

Im not tryin to stiff anyone or anything...im just tryin to cover myself between the metal and the shipping mainly...and a lil time here and there...send me private messages if anyone wants some...

Futuresweets10 12-11-2004 12:12 PM

I have been useing hitch balls for about a year now.... I just welded the nut to the bottom of my frame and I can unscrew the balls by hand when ever I want. It works great

Futuresweets10 12-11-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94bumpn_s10

Have you tried those yet? It looks to me like they would need some kind of extra braceing or they would bend.

MX_Racer32 12-11-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

I have been useing hitch balls for about a year now.... I just welded the nut to the bottom of my frame and I can unscrew the balls by hand when ever I want. It works great
..thats the best idea ive heard yet pertaining to ball hitches.

as for your design djaudio, might want to think about beefing it up some, make an angled support (to form a trianlge) from the bottom corner to the top corner, that angle iron isnt the strongest in the world and when you put the weight of your truck on it, it might, and probably will bend, maybe not the first time but repeated abuse will render it useless. you wont be able to unscrew the ball off beacuse the top half will bend over and jam on the shank of the hitch.