QA1 Coilover Drop?? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

QA1 Coilover Drop??

I have tried searching but cannot find what I am looking for. I have a 2nd gen 4.3 x-cab and would like a better ride. I currently have 2" Belltech spindles with 1" DJM drop coils and Nitro 2 shocks (2 inches too long, but still bolt up) and 4" leafs with 1" block and air shocks. I like the stance but would prefer to go up another inch. Currently running 17x8's with 225/45/17 tire and on large dips the front scrubs wheel well and the pumpkin hits the bed in the rear. It's not bad, but annoying combined with the bad ride quality. Now this could be completely related to the wrong shock length up front, but I doubt it since it would compress the shock more...I could be wrong.

So I am looking at getting the QA1 coilovers with 550 spring. My main question is will this setup drop me further than the 3 inch front drop I have now? To be clear I will run the coilover with the 2" spindle. If I adjust it all the way up will it ride like crap? Will it net me a total front drop of 2" with the spindle? I do have the stock coils, stock spindles, stock leafs (1 pulled), 1/2", 1", 2", 3" JTR blocks, setback plates, 4 degree shims, and Nitro 2's for the rear. I am tired of trying to figure this out and the coilovers will be my last effort. I am not too concerned about getting the rear height correct, but want a leveled stance. Bottom line I do not want to tear the truck apart, buy new front shocks, swap spindles, coils, etc. for weeks on end and still not be close to where I want to be with height and ride quality. I know lowered is stiffer, but I think my ride is rougher than it should be. Besides I think my truck is retarded...by my math I have a 3/5 drop that is actually level , but seems insanely low for only a 3/5. I cannot slide a coke can under the frame rail and the there is about 2 inches of clearance with the front wheel well for a 25" tall tire....I am baffled. Eventually I am going to run 20's with a 245/35/20 but not until I figure out this suspension since that tire is 26.8" tall. Yet I see all kinds of pics on here with people running the exact set up I want (3/4 with 245/35/20) but they are barely tucking tire. I don't get it. Is my ride a hybrid? What do you think about the coilover situation? Sorry for the long post/rant. Thanks for the help.

George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Chopper! Sic balls!

Re: QA1 Coilover Drop??

The Nitro 2's blow IMO. When I switched to the SP's it helped a lot. I've been super low static and have never had a problem with the rear end hitting the bed floor. I know it happens but it's not common with the drop you have, is the truck notched? The truck does look really low in the front. Do you have the factory rubber isolators on the coils still? I know when I removed mine it dropped the truck almost another inch.

I'm not really familiar with coilovers so I cant really help there.

TelAmeriCorp
post #3 of 3 Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: QA1 Coilover Drop??

When I got the nitro 2's they were the best at the time. Instead of buying shocks I could put the $$$ towards the coilovers is where my logic is. I do not have the rubber isolators in and I am notched. I think with the coilovers I'll dial in the height. Just really don't want to have to go back to the stock spindles. I will to get it where I want it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page