Auxillary fan wire in 97 & later ECM - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-05-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Auxillary fan wire in 97 & later ECM

I am wanting to get rid of the clutch fan on my car (Volvo 240 using 97 S10 4.3) and while I have acquired all the parts that are commonly used for electric fan swaps (Taurus 2 speed fan, Volvo 2 spd fan relay pack and BMW 2 speed fan switch).

The problem is that I have 2 temp sensors already (One for the ECM, and one for the gauge on the dash) so I dislike the thought of adding a third one, and on top of that the BMW sensor is a 14mm thread (like a bolt, instead of a pipe thread like we use in the united states) which presents a problem trying to find a place to even install the said sensor.

When I went through the wiring for the engine, I saw that there is a wire for an auxillary electric fan. Can that be used as the exclusive controller for the relay on my fan, or does that only work for like an auxillary condenser fan when the A/C is on?

Any idea what the on/off temps are?? ECM is from a 97 S10 2wd with a 5 speed.

Looking for info! Thnks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Re: Auxillary fan wire in 97 & later ECM

Just put one of these in your upper (hotter) radiator hose. They come in 2MM increments from 28-40 mm, maybe more. The sensor hole is 1/8 npt, (.405 OD) (10.287mm) but there appears to be enough material that you could open it up and rethread it to 14mm x 1.5. eBay aprox. $6
I don't think the 97 4.3 ECM has the ability to control a fan/fans. Only the later 0411 PCM can, with a Camaro fan segment installed via Hptuners and the 3 wire 2.2 A/C pressure switch. Which probably won't connect to your Volvo system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page