Sensor Identification - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Sensor Identification

Hi guys. I Just picked up a 1983 S10 Durango 4x4 with the 2.8 as a snow beater. I've been trying to fix it up and getting it running well, and my temperature gauge does not work.

I'm fairly certain that the green 1 wire that goes to the front of the head on the left bank is the sensor, but when I look up the sensor on NAPA or online, its very different from whats in the vehicle currently. If that's not it, then I have no clue what that sender is. lol

I searched on here and it seems like a common issue. One post recommended grounding out the sensor, and said it would spike it to hot, indicating the wire is functional and the sensor is not. So I took a jumper wire and pushed it into that connector, and then grounded it to one of the bolts that holds the radiator shroud in place. The gauge did not move when I put the ignition in the ON position.

Perhaps this is a faulty wire issue, or perhaps I've got the wrong sensor altogether. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Re: Sensor Identification

I should state that the sensor appears to look similar to this:

What I keep seeing is either this:

or

post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Re: Sensor Identification

My conclusion:

I called down to my Chevy dealer and got the part numbers for the 2 sensors that we have on this vehicle for this year and motor. 1 is a 10045847, and I believe that is the replacement version for the one by the thermostat. The one with the single green wire comes back as 25036373, and when I do the interchange on NAPA prolink, it comes back as a single pin, like the black one in the picture above. So I'm guessing that the wire will slide over that pin, or maybe it needs to have a new pin head put on the wire, I don't know.

I'm gonna test the wire tonight with a multi meter and make sure its actually supplying power. If so, then I'll replace the sensor with the 1 pin style like the black one above and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page