noisy hydraulic lifters - causes? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
overthinker extraordinar

noisy hydraulic lifters - causes?

Okay folks,
I have the 2.8l 1985 s10. It has some noisy lifters. To my understanding, these are hydraulic lifters and should not need to be adjusted past the initial install. Is that correct?

So what causes noisy lifters?
Worn cam?
Dirty, plugged oil ports?
incorrectly adjusted valve lash?
Am I missing anything?

It seemed like they got significantly quieter when I ran an oil flush through the motor, but only while the flush was in the motor. I plan on doing a second flush too. I'll pay close attention when I do. If so, then I think it points to a dirty engine, correct? The motor idles and starts poorly too(when cold, a little better when warm).

I think I am going to get a compression check, that might give me usefull info.

thoughts?
what would you do?
mark

85 S10 Durango 2.8L extcab rwd 36k actual miles.
"true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" Paraphrased from Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Boozebag

Re: noisy hydraulic lifters - causes?

Suggestion:
Pull a valve cover and see if there is any mud under it. That is a good indication that a PO did not change the oil frequently. At the same time, you can run the engine and see if you have any "lazy" rocker arms - indicating a worn cam.
If the head under the R cover is clean, that is a good sign. If it is muddy, not a good sign...

If the engine has a factory original cam, and the engine now has noisy lifters, this usually indicates a worn cam, or worn rocker arm pivot balls. All this will have to be determined by removing the valve covers.

I had a 71 Pontiac Lemas convert in my shop - once upon a time - that had a mild skip, noisy rockers and was low on power. After the usual checks, I pulled a valve cover and found some SERIOUS mud. It also had a few rockers that barely moved.

I knew the owner personally and asked her if she changed her oil recently...
You know what the answer was?

"Oh, you have to change the oil?"

Ok, I pulled the intake off and could hardly see the lifters, or for that matter - the pushrods. It was the worst I had ever seen. I scraped out a SHOEBOX of mud. The cam had 2 1/2 round lobes!
I cleaned everything and installed a good used cam from a Pontiac 421, Cloyes roller chain set, I also had to replace 2 rocker assemblies. To my amazement, the engine ran like a freight train. (350 2 barrel Pontiac enigne)
Even she was surprised.

Moral of story? There are a few of them.
1. Change yer damn oil!
2. A muddy engine isn't dead yet!
3. Noisy lifters = worn parts
4. Fresh cam = POWER

Sorry for the book, but maybe it helps explain stuff.

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
overthinker extraordinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Suggestion:
Pull a valve cover and see if there is any mud under it. That is a good indication that a PO did not change the oil frequently. At the same time, you can run the engine and see if you have any "lazy" rocker arms - indicating a worn cam.
If the head under the R cover is clean, that is a good sign. If it is muddy, not a good sign...

If the engine has a factory original cam, and the engine now has noisy lifters, this usually indicates a worn cam, or worn rocker arm pivot balls. All this will have to be determined by removing the valve covers.

I had a 71 Pontiac Lemas convert in my shop - once upon a time - that had a mild skip, noisy rockers and was low on power. After the usual checks, I pulled a valve cover and found some SERIOUS mud. It also had a few rockers that barely moved.

I knew the owner personally and asked her if she changed her oil recently...
You know what the answer was?

"Oh, you have to change the oil?"

Ok, I pulled the intake off and could hardly see the lifters, or for that matter - the pushrods. It was the worst I had ever seen. I scraped out a SHOEBOX of mud. The cam had 2 1/2 round lobes!
I cleaned everything and installed a good used cam from a Pontiac 421, Cloyes roller chain set, I also had to replace 2 rocker assemblies. To my amazement, the engine ran like a freight train. (350 2 barrel Pontiac enigne)
Even she was surprised.

Moral of story? There are a few of them.
1. Change yer damn oil!
2. A muddy engine isn't dead yet!
3. Noisy lifters = worn parts
4. Fresh cam = POWER

Sorry for the book, but maybe it helps explain stuff.
I appreciate he "book", seriously. I never grumble at qualified info. Thanks!!!

As to mud, nope. I have had the valve covers off. A little carbon build up, but zero mud. I like number 4, and pretty much agree that I have number 3 going on. I figure I am going to do the carb first, it needs done no matter what. I doubt it will have much effect on the noisy lifters. Then I'll do the cam and lifters if needed.

thanks again!
mark

85 S10 Durango 2.8L extcab rwd 36k actual miles.
"true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" Paraphrased from Socrates

post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Awww..you ain't got shit!

My buddy had an old 6cyl Ford Fairmont...to say it was neglected and abused would be a major understatement. I don't think he changed the oil for two year and pounded on it relentlessly. We put a valve cover gasket on it once and I remember the chunks of stuff that fell out of it. Unreal. We cleaned the chunks and tuned it up and it ran so smooth at idle it was difficult to tell it was running when you put your hand on it. Had to wreck it to kill it...and it still would start but not drive anymore. I miss old good bangers like that.

1984 xcab s-10 3.4L GM crate engine 91 S10 TBI swap w bored intake, Edelbrock headers. 2" Rough Country Lift. Custom exhaust, shift kit, e-fan.

EFI swap https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...e-help-513616/

My build thread (3.4L)https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...stions-427168/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I had to cut my nut in half .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page