Ignition system - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Ignition system

Hi. first time caller here. lol So, I have a 1987 S10 Blazer 2.8L 4x4 2 door. I need a list of what controls the spark. these all checked good: coil, pick-up coil, ignition module. But I am not getting a signal to the coil telling it to fire. I hooked up a second dist. and turned it by hand. Still no signal. Injectors are firing but no spark. No codes had battery in and out a hand full of times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 AM
Maybe later.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tytotheler92
Re: Ignition system

It you're not getting signal look for a broken or burnt wire. Also, make sure your ECM is plugged in and working. I wish I was a little more help, sorry.

I've had wayyy to many of these trucks. (Currently...on number 7)

1988 S-15 - 5.5/6 drop

1985 S10 Blazer 4WD

1998 Blazer ZR2 5 Speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
3 doors for 1 and a half whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmcgover View Post
He only bought one wheel. So every picture we see is going to be a pic where either the rear or front is conveniently out of frame.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2016, 01:46 AM

The ignition module and coil are the only parts needed to produce spark. The ECM does not even need to be installed to have spark.

Where are you testing for spark? At the coil? At the coil wire? At the spark plug? If you are checking at the lug, check at the coil (wire), if you get spark at the coil wire, replace your cap, the button will likely be missing or extremely worn if that test pans out.

If you still have no spark, replace the coil, and/or check the signal between the ICM and the coil, the pink wire should have 12V on it, and the white will be a series of ground pulses (resting at 12V), that will charge the coil.

The daily driver: 2005 Blazer
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."

post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

i am testing at the lug. tester on top of the lug. used small piece of vacuum hose to hold tester on top of lug ><. no spark. so i then checked for voltage at pink wire and got battery voltage. replaced coil with no results. checked for the signal from the ICM using a test light probing white wire and alligator clamp on battery positive. did not blink. took ICM out and had it tested at autozone. tested in good condition. i also tested pick-up coil and it is also good. bad wire maybe? it was running great, then nothing. should I just get a new ICM to rule it out? I hate to throw money in to anything. there's always a test you can preform to figure something out. what pin does the white wire go to on the ICM? i'll do a continuity test on the wire to rule it out.

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Broke down and bought an ignition module. Hope it works I'm out of options.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 PM

when checking for pulse at the white wire you clip to a ground not on a positive - a pulse is created when the ICM or a set of points in a old school unit creates a open in a positive circuit feed and the the test light takes over for the open and lights the bulb in the test light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page