early 2.8 to late 2.8 questions - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

early 2.8 to late 2.8 questions

I've done some searching here and think found some of my answers, but I want to run it by you guys real quick to feel better about it.
First let me explain the situation and why I'm not diving straight into a 3.4 swap (which I've done on two Troopers over the years). So my 16yo son just bought his first vehicle, a '83 4wd Jimmy, with under 90k original miles, and has spent it's entire life parked inside. He gave a $1000 for it, not running. The Owner claimed it had a blown head gasket and he had started taking it apart back in 94ish and its sat in the shop since then. So going off of the condition it is in and the report from the owner, I pulled the intake and heads and replaced all the gaskets. I also went ahead and put a new timing chain, water pump, hoses, belts, rebuilt the carb, as well as a new clutch, etc.... Fire it up, and guess what? A rod knock! Awesome!

My major problem here is, I've already dropped about $300 into this engine and related parts and would like to reuse as many as possible, plus the fact that we need to get this thing on the road ASAP. I thought about patching it for now with a set of bearings until I could source a 3.4 to rebuild but I can't find one anywhere around here to rebuild. While scouring CL, I found a guy selling s-10 parts. He has a '88 2.8L still in the truck which runs really good and is pretty clean. He will sell the engine to me for $250,if I pull it And throw in the harness and computer $125. (which I feel is a little high, but again, can't find another harness anywhere around here). The way I look at it right now is the engine is a temporary solution and I'm gaining the EFI for when I do the 3.4 later.

Now on to my questions.
First:
Can I use the front cover on my '83 with the '88 block, and just use the V-belts. I have to use the '83 pan anyway since it's 4wd and the donor is 2wd. I'm going to put the new chain on the donor motor too. I ask this because I just dropped $$ on a brand new water pump and belts.

Second:
Has anyone had any luck getting a machine shop to zero the balanced flywheel for cheap? I ask because I just dropped $40 to have it resurfaced.

And finally:
I've kinda heard that a 4.3 harness will work with a 2.8. It may be easier for me to find one cheaper than $125.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Re: early 2.8 to late 2.8 questions

You can do what you want. Externally the blocks changed very little, especially when it comes to similar/same applications. The blocks changes being an issue is if you try to use a transverse mounted engine in a longitudinal application, or vise-versa.

If it was my truck I'd move to the serpentine system, it's more reliable than any V-belt system I've had, and simpler too.

It will likely be cheaper to get a neutrally balanced flywheel resurfaced than modify your existing flywheel.

As far as the 4.3 harness is concerned, yes it could likely be used, but I'd get the 2.8 harness, if you're planning on staying with a 60 degree V6, it will just be that much easier to make work, all of the connections will be where they need to be. So pay more now for a proper harness, or pay more later by spending time modifying something that wasn't meant to run that engine?

Yukon: The daily driver
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Maybe later.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tytotheler92

From what I understand, the block is the same, the cam and heads are better, but there is no provision for the mechanical fuel pump, so an electric one should be added.

I'm pretty sure the cover is the same, and a V belts or Serpentine system can be swapped both ways. But I'd go serpentine.

I've had wayyy to many of these trucks. (Currently...on number 7)

1988 S-15 - 5.5/6 drop

1985 S10 Blazer 4WD

1998 Blazer ZR2 5 Speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
3 doors for 1 and a half whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmcgover View Post
He only bought one wheel. So every picture we see is going to be a pic where either the rear or front is conveniently out of frame.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-14-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies. I should add another reason for staying with v-belts is that I need to use the pan from the '83. I did a part number search and the '83 and '88 4wd pans have different part numbers. I assume its because of the front covers maybe? Idk. I think I will stick with the v-belts for now and change over when we build the 3.4L.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Yes, the lower section of the front covers is different between the V-belt and serpentine belt trucks, although there are V-belt covers with the later lip too, in a transitional period, that IIRC was between 1985 and 1986, or maybe it was just 1986 with that cover, either way, they are pretty rare.

The covers also differ in the water pump cavity, the forward rotation cavity is different from the reverse rotation cavity, so you need to make sure you have the matching cover for the application.

Yes, an electric fuel pump will be needed, whether sticking with the carb or switching to EFI. There are no mechanical fuel pump provisions on the later blocks.

Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Well, I haven't had time yet to pull the oil pan to see how bad the rods look. And the 2.8 I found ended up falling through. For $375, it had too many miles and too many things wrong with it. The biggest being that it had 3 cylinders with 90-100lbs of compression and 3 with 130lbs +, a dry lifter ticking and backfiring on a high rev. Not to mention the odometer reads 197k miles.
So back to square one. I called around and found two 3.4's locally. One that over heated for $200, but the guy doesn't want to spend the time to remove it for "that little of money". The other, a 46K original miles 3.4 for $750 with harness.

This brings me to my new question. Since I need a complete EFI set up with harness anyway, would it be any more work to just use the entire MPFI Camaro set up? Will there be fitment issues? I know I've read that there is negligible gains if you already have tbi, and not worth the effort. But I've got a carb, so either way, I have to acquire all the EFI parts anyway.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 PM

The 3.4 EFI is not simply MPFI, it is SFI, which in and of itself is a minor difference, however the fact that it's an SFI system it has other things that make the swap to the SFI system more difficult than an MPFI or TBI EFI swap. The most notable being the PASLOK system that has to be integrated, bypassed or programmed out of the PCM when a swap is performed. Also the transmission type of the donor matters. If it's an automatic donor, you would really be best to swap that transmission into your truck as well, due to being an electronic transmission (Assuming your truck is already automatic). If your truck is manual and the donor is auto, then you would need to find a manual 3.4 PCM).If your truck is manual and the donor is manual the swap is a little easier then. Alternatively you can use an MPFI ECM from an older F-body or a few other donors and be an easier swap.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Ah, gotcha. Thank you for the useful info. It sounds like that is more than I want to mess with. I realize the 2.8 is getting quite old, but I'm having a real hard time finding a intake, rib and harness to buy around here. I was going to post a wanted ad in the wanted section, but I guess I don't have a high enough post count or something. It wouldn't let me post. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Boozebag

It would help to know where you are located.
I have a ton of stuff for S10s, if you need an engine, I can probably come up with one for reasonable $$. The issue is distance from me to you....

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-25-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It would help to know where you are located.
I have a ton of stuff for S10s, if you need an engine, I can probably come up with one for reasonable $$. The issue is distance from me to you....

Oklahoma.
I've got a bead on a complete running Camaro with a bad tranny for $600. Was supposed to go get it tonight, but it fell through. Hope to go get it Monday night. If things work out, I'll buy it, pull the engine, then sell the roller to some local race car builder, and make most of my money back.
I will however still need to source all the 2.8L TBI stuff. Found a PCM on eghey for $25. a 4.3L wire harness locally for $50, and a Throttle body for $75. Still for looking for a intake. If you've got any of that stuff and can be competitive with those prices, I'm all ear's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page