Converting '82 2.8 v-belt to serpentine? - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Mew Nember

Converting '82 2.8 v-belt to serpentine?

Converting the alt is easy enough. No PS, no AC, just alt.

Unsure about the crank and waterpump. What years/engines are direct?

If I stay v-belt, what is highest amperage alternator that was used while still v-belt? 80-85 amp? Converted to electric fan and current alt has separate issues so need replaced and upgraded.

The biggest thief is time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM
time to get cereal

Re: Converting '82 2.8 v-belt to serpentine?

Make sure you get the right water pump. Serpentines often change the direction of rotation.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Mew Nember

Thanks. Forgot about the rotation. Have a Subaru 85 amp alt that's really close in case layout as the stock unit. Might just try and get a v-pulley on that instead and fab the lower bracket to accept it. Also a 2 wire alt. Don't want to dump too much into it when it'll come right back out for a v8 swap.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Awww..you ain't got shit!

Contrary to popular belief, you can’t screw that up but a couple of ways. Only 82-85 pumps fit on those covers and 87-93 fit on those. The front cover housing where it mates to the oil pan is not the same on 82-85 and 87-93. The one exception is 86. It has 82-85 rotation and 87-93 oil pan sealing surface. However, none of that matters. Cause you cannot put an 82-85 or 86 pump on an 87 on timing cover. It will not bolt to it. Remember there are 3 timing chain covers. But only two water pump designs.

There are only two ways you can screw up. One is if you put an 86 timing cover on an 87-93, cause it will bolt to an 87-93 style oil pan and use serpentine belts not only 82-85 (and 86 same) pumps will bolt to it. The belt will run in reverse of the pump swirls are. It will run hot since the swirls are reversed. Or if you put a serpentine setup on an 82-85 motor which will give you the same scenario. There is no way to make a serpentine system work on 82-85 original engine unless you change the oil pan because the pan will not mate to the correct cover (87-93). Period. The serpentine reverse water flow will not work on your truck unless you change the pan and the cover. So unless you change the pan, you’re gonna run hot.

Either way, don’t worry about getting the wrong pump. You cannot put the wrong pump on. Only use the wrong cover. In short to run serpentine accessories on an 82 you will need 87-93 front timing cover and 86-93 oil pan. No other way it will work.

Hope that helps.

1984 xcab s-10 3.4L GM crate engine 91 S10 TBI swap w bored intake, Edelbrock headers. 2" Rough Country Lift. Custom exhaust, shift kit, e-fan.

EFI swap https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...e-help-513616/

My build thread (3.4L)https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...stions-427168/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I had to cut my nut in half .
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Mew Nember

Actually, after looking more closely at mine, don't understand why you can't run a serpentine pulley on the waterpump while keeping rotation stock w/o changing anything out. If serpentine belt follows the stock v-belt route, and ONLY running something like an alternator in the stock location, it should work and alt can take up belt slack if nothing crazy w/ high amperage is used; higher amperage, add an idler that can be adjusted to add tension. If running PS, AC, etc., adding a smooth idler to the lower right 4:00 o'clock area of the alt, and hooking it over that you could grab the rest of accessories in upper right of engine.

Anyhow, ended up retrofitting the 85 amp Subaru alt. Was close enough to work using factory mounting locations and a 2 wire as well. Already added a heavier gauge charge wire from alt to battery, so that tiny 14 gauge stock wire that ran back into the harness instead of going to the alt, won't get overtaxed, but had to fiddle with idle as it spun too slow to get a full charge. Running cooling fan ('95 Subaru Legacy 5 blade, 2 speed set on high speed, which is still extremely quiet, heater on, lights on high, alt seemed to tolerate it and belt wasn't slipping). Everything was free from Subaru donor, so why not. Whatever engine/trans donor is used for the V8 upgrade, will get all the correct bits sorted.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Awww..you ain't got shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iS-10 till 12 View Post
Actually, after looking more closely at mine, don't understand why you can't run a serpentine pulley on the waterpump while keeping rotation stock w/o changing anything out. If serpentine belt follows the stock v-belt route, and ONLY running something like an alternator in the stock location, it should work and alt can take up belt slack if nothing crazy w/ high amperage is used; higher amperage, add an idler that can be adjusted to add tension. If running PS, AC, etc., adding a smooth idler to the lower right 4:00 o'clock area of the alt, and hooking it over that you could grab the rest of accessories in upper right of engine.

Anyhow, ended up retrofitting the 85 amp Subaru alt. Was close enough to work using factory mounting locations and a 2 wire as well. Already added a heavier gauge charge wire from alt to battery, so that tiny 14 gauge stock wire that ran back into the harness instead of going to the alt, won't get overtaxed, but had to fiddle with idle as it spun too slow to get a full charge. Running cooling fan ('95 Subaru Legacy 5 blade, 2 speed set on high speed, which is still extremely quiet, heater on, lights on high, alt seemed to tolerate it and belt wasn't slipping). Everything was free from Subaru donor, so why not. Whatever engine/trans donor is used for the V8 upgrade, will get all the correct bits sorted.
The bastard child 86 is sorta like that. It uses a combo system. One ribbed belt and one v. Now, don't get me lying about how they are arranged as I haven't seen one in the wild since I parted with my 86 Jimmy in 2005. But yeah....there is always a way. My point was is the parts aren't interchangeable on 82-85 and 87-93 so you can't really put the "wrong" pump on it the cover. Only the wrong cover for the belt setup. 86 is essentially what you are talking about. Standard rotation 82-85 pump, with bastard front cover that has 82-87 sealing oil pan. It's the only year like that. Crazy. You could bolt an 87-93 cover to an 86 motor and a 87-93 reverse pump to it, and that would be a problem with the reverse pump would cause the truck to run hot with belts running standard.

Interestingly, the "crate engine" like my truck has was for 82-85 applications (even though it's better suited for EFI ones), it has the 86 front cover on it. They have different part numbers, but it is the same.

Shoot some pix of what you did though...like to see it.

1984 xcab s-10 3.4L GM crate engine 91 S10 TBI swap w bored intake, Edelbrock headers. 2" Rough Country Lift. Custom exhaust, shift kit, e-fan.

EFI swap https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...e-help-513616/

My build thread (3.4L)https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...stions-427168/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I had to cut my nut in half .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page