'86 S15 4x4 -3.4 swap - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 70 Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
GM

Send a message via AIM to GM
Re: '86 S15 4x4 -3.4 swap

Got my problems solved. Code 32 was just a vacuum line to the egr valve that had popped loose.

Cut open the filter after the first oil change and it looked super clean.

Untitled by Andrew Schwerdtfeger, on Flickr

upgraded from a 75 interstate to a 34/78 optima yellow top for the winch,

Ended up replacing the cat because I quickly got tired of the backfiring through the exhaust when downshifting

Also replaced the donut gaskets on the manifolds as they both had small exhaust leaks. What I get for being cheap and not doing it in the first place. I also utilized the camaro heat shields and manifold gaskets while I was at it. Totally forgot I had them.

Now I'm just putting miles on it. I was hoping for slightly better fuel economy. Tough to gauge though as I've been 4x4ing it and haven't really done a tank on just hwy miles. Should get a better idea this weekend maybe and actually calculate some economy #'s

Overall I'm really stoked on this swap. The truck is actually a pleasure to drive now. Just idles around and part throttle to make it up some of the steep hills that before I was wide open on just to maintain my speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 70 Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM

I love this truck so much.

1985 S10 2.8
2010 Cobalt SS
1972 Honda CB100
post #53 of 70 Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
GM

^ thanks heeter,

quick update,

Spent the bulk of the summer camping out of the truck and did awesome, random camping pics,

then in august we hit a deer...

The damage was mostly cosmetic, except the rad got hit by the clutch fan. The trans had been making a bad rattling noise when loading it up at lower rpms and it wasn't downshifting unless there was 100% throttle so I stripped the front end and pull the engine/trans/t-case all together. Having done this both ways now I would way rather pull the engine separately.

Then I drained the oil and found this little disaster waiting to happen. Coolant mixing in with the oil. I narrowed it down the intake gasket and sure enough 3 of the nuts had loosened up on the back passenger corner of the intake gasket and it broke the seal. This was a lesson learned the easy way, always re-torque aluminium intake manifolds after they've heat soaked a couple times.

I inspected all the main bearings, rod bearings and cam and everything looked great. In the meantime I had the 700r4 rebuilt, new "beast" sunshell, heavy duty 3/4 clutches, complete overhaul kit and reman torque converter.

new intake gasket set,

put a new muffler on it, and redid the exhaust hangers so they slide back which makes it so easy to pull the exhaust out now.

resealed and ready to go back in,

back together minus body panels,

Found a core support and restored it,

Picked up a hood and fender as well, Just need to find a grill and oe fender and I'm going to get it painted again.

then back on the road for hunting season,

I was hoping to get it back on the road from the accident for less then a grand. I paid

hood- $60
Fender - $30
headlight bezel - $5
headlight - $3
Core support - $35
Rad - $50
so roughly $200. Leaves me about $800 for paint.

post #54 of 70 Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
GM

I'm currently fighting an EGR code 32 though and I'm running out of ideas in a hurry.

The truck keeps throwing a code 32 when driving about 55 km/hr at partial throttle. Initially I had thought it was EGR solenoid and replaced it with a brand new unit. This did not solve the problem, next I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it thoroughly even though it moved freely and held vacuum before hand. Reinstalled and the problem still exists. I then check both vacuum lines thoroughly to ensure they held vacuum and had no restrictions and they are in perfect shape.

Next I started using this diagnosis guide for the 4.3 w/tbi but it seems to operate the same way so I hope it's a suitable guide.

Step 1 - connect vacuum pump to throttle body side of EGR solenoid, when I apply vacuum it does not move the valve (according guide it should) so next step.

Step 2 - connect vacuum pump to egr valve, when I apply vacuum it moves very freely and holds the vacuum for longer then I care to wait (2 min+). This indicates the valve is good.

Now it says to
- Disconnect EGR electrical connector ( I'm assuming at the solenoid, only electrical connection)
-Connect test light between harness connector terminals
^^ I have no idea what the harness connector terminals are in this case. If anyone has a wiring diagram or could advise on how to proceed that would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
post #55 of 70 Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
I just noticed you removed the bump/shark fin... Congrats you just ruined those heads and made them flow less than stock.

There's a reason that GM put them there, and it wasn't just because they could.
Just had to come back to this. Yeah after doing a bunch of reading and looking at some flow bench #'s posted on other forums you are undoubtedly correct. I assumed the gentleman that did the work for me knew better but apparently that was not the case. Hopefully some of the other work he did to the heads helped increase the flow but I doubt they flow better then they would have in stock form. Lesson learned the hard way on that one...

In regards to the above post I finally solved my code 32 issue with the help of another forum member. It was just simply the wrong EGR solenoid. Apparently 86-87' use a different solenoid although it looks identical to the later years. So if anyone is relentlessly chasing a code 32 make sure you verify you have the correct solenoid. I had multiple parts stores and my local GM dealer recommend the wrong one. The correct one for these earlier years is now completely discontinued and no longer stocked by anyone so you'll have to source one from the wreckers.

Lastly I pulled this from my local junkyard the other day.

They were having a 50% off sale so I yanked this 3.4 shortblock and grabbed a set of 3400 heads w/ uim & lim. I also grabbed the throttle cable, throttle body and a few other misc things. I got the whole package for $106 out the door.

After a pressure wash

Crank looks mint

Now I've just been endlessly reading on how to get this whole package together. I'll likely just purchase a new set of 3400 pistons. The tuning and wiring is a bit overwhelming at the moment but the more I read that seems to be fading slightly. For now it will just be a n/a budget build.
post #56 of 70 Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
GM

Edit* sorry here's the pics

Lastly I pulled this from my local junkyard the other day.

IMG_1139 by Andrew Schwerdt, on Flickr

They were having a 50% off sale so I yanked this 3.4 shortblock and grabbed a set of 3400 heads w/ uim & lim. I also grabbed the throttle cable, throttle body and a few other misc things. I got the whole package for $106 out the door.

After a pressure wash

IMG_1152 by Andrew Schwerdt, on Flickr

IMG_1153 by Andrew Schwerdt, on Flickr

Crank looks mint

IMG_1162 by Andrew Schwerdt, on Flickr

Now I've just been endlessly reading on how to get this whole package together. I'll likely just purchase a new set of 3400 pistons. The tuning and wiring is a bit overwhelming at the moment but the more I read that seems to be fading slightly. For now it will just be a n/a budget build.
post #57 of 70 Old 04-13-2019, 12:19 PM
SFA3.4

My first 3.4 was carbed. I didn't want to deal with wiring and computer but rough off roading and the carb didn't mix. Finally got tired of the carb and pulled the entire engine, wiring and computer from a Camaro similar to yours. Ton more power and never dies off road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	818acc7fe10b6e90b1106aebd383abe0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	316143   Click image for larger version

Name:	098f7246c05924f8f975dacd6a97972d.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	316145  
post #58 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
GM

Randy do you have any pics of your truck? How did the 3.4 work with a sfa? That's the direction I'm heading in the future.

I ended up bring back the 3400 top end to the junk yard and exchanged it all for a 3500 set up. The girls were really nice and just let me swap it out at no extra cost.

The reason I did this was because the heads on the 3400 I picked up where all cracked from the intake valve to spark plug. Also after doing some reading it seemed like this was just a much better option. The cracks were just a good excuse to go do it.

Pic of said crack

Untitled by Andrew Schwerdt, on Flickr

New top end out of a malibu,

On the work bench at home,

The Fwd applications are a joy to work on. I had both heads off in under 2 hours.
There are a couple of things I've got to do some more reading about. One being the throttle body that comes stock on the 3.5 is drive by wire. I'm hoping there is another substitute that will maintain the same size opening but cable operated.
post #59 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
GM

Just found the LX5 throttle body set up on wot, so that is no longer a concern.
post #60 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 AM
SFA3.4

Works well. It's a Dana 30 from an XJ. You can use the Camaro oil pan since you don't have all that ifs junk in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_194727806_1555395110742.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	316195  
post #61 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM
SFA3.4

Here is a better view. My Blazer is right at about 4:28.

post #62 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM

I hate to break this to you, but you got the wrong 3500 top end. You got the LZ4 3500 top end, you need the LX9 3500 top end.

They will not interchange.

The bank angle is slightly different, the combustion chambers are too large for the 3.4/3400 cylinder, IIRC the head bolt locations are slightly different as well, the cooling system differences are not compatible. I'm sure there are other differences that are not coming to me right now.

Suffice it to say, you'll be making a trip back to the wrecking yard for the correct 3500 top end.

The daily driver: 2005 Blazer
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."
post #63 of 70 Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
GM

no wayyy hahaha, ***** I'm a sucker for learning things the hard way.... Thanks Raven, I'll have to do just that.
post #64 of 70 Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Registered Users

Nice build!

Not an engine for the back country but I had a z34 lumina in the late 90's same bell pattern? really liked that engine, just hated the car it was in and the wheels it drove.
post #65 of 70 Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM
time to get cereal

Garage

It's the same engine with DOHC. Not the most robust version of the 60 degree V6 though.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #66 of 70 Old 05-02-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
I hate to break this to you, but you got the wrong 3500 top end. You got the LZ4 3500 top end, you need the LX9 3500 top end.
Just wanted to say thanks again for clueing me in on this. I would have obliviously ordered parts and been severely disappointed and spent more money then I'm hoping to with that mistake. Heading back on Saturday and hoping to find a good top end.
post #67 of 70 Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
GM

Got a minute away from work and went and picked up the correct top end this time. Had to laugh at myself when I was walking out and the two other top ends were sitting there.

Pulled this off a 2006 malibu,

Stripped down and cleaned up a bit,

Looking at some of the difference betweens the LZ4 and LX9, the rockers from the LX9 are stamped and the LZ4 are I believe Hypereutectic (?) they have a slightly different geometry but are lighter and if assembled with the LX9 stand and bolt they line up in the exact same location on the top of the valve stem.

Some slight difference in the fuel rail as well, different injectors too (LX9 on the right)
post #68 of 70 Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 PM

That's better...

Also you'll need a 3400 fuel rail, for the bypass system. The LX9 uses a dead head system. It can be made to work, but I haven't seen anyone do it on an LX9 yet.

The daily driver: 2005 Blazer
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."
post #69 of 70 Old 05-06-2019, 10:23 PM
time to get cereal

Garage

You could probably use 2.2L VIN 5 or VIN H parts if you want to keep that fuel rail.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #70 of 70 Old 05-26-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
GM

^Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did a bit of reading and it seemed like the 3400 rail/regulator was just the easier/cheaper choice. I went to the yard yesterday and grabbed a 3400 rail/harness and also an lx5 TB with tps and the harness as well. The yard was having another 50% off sale, so the Rail/harness cost $6, and the TB full dressed came out to $22.

I'll likely source the adapter plate from british car conversions as they are very close to me.

I have an order of parts stacked up on rock auto currently. I've been working a ton and just haven't had time to get the ball rolling on this yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page