S-10 Forum banner

85 and older... Which engines can I use?

839 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  4mulaSvaliant 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Been a member for a few years now, mainly use the site for research and occasionally throw my 2 cents in where it may be helpful.

So here is my question:

I recently was given an S10 to use as parts. I plan to use it under a 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe and plan to use all the s10 electrics and what not.

I have yet to look for the exact year of the truck but by the looks of the dash it is certainly 85 or older.
It was a v6 truck so I have to assume it was a 2.8.

Now... Why I am asking such a seemingly dumb question is because through my research and basic knowledge of my DD 86' with a TBI 2.8, I know there will be some issues regarding ECU's, fuel pressure, etc. if I try to get anything later than 85 because they will then be TBI.

So basically, I'm looking to find an entire engine, less brackets and accessories.

Which ones should I be OK to just drop right in?

Is the fuel pump even in the tank on this thing or is it most likely a manual pump on the block? (does this pose a problem if I get a newer block? Will a newer block have the provision for a manual pump?)

I do understand that if I had the intake, carb, etc. that it wouldn't matter so much which 60* block I get. BUT....... because I don't have the carburetor style intake in the box of parts, Id prefer to find the appropriate engine to begin with.

Any info you guys have to offer is very appreciated! This is a great site with a crap ton of knowledge, so it was definitely the first place I though to come for this!

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As you know '85 is carburetted. The fuel pump is mounted to the side of the block, behind the power steering pump.

You can use any year (longitudily mounted RWD) 2.8L, the carburetted intake will swap onto the EFI 2.8, and you will have to add an electric fuel pump. Using an '87 and later will require a matching flywheel or flexplate, due to the balancing of the engine changing in '87.

I will suggest using the later 2.8, since it has a stronger crank, the main journals were increased in size in 1985.5. They will also usually have less miles, along with being easier to find.

For a better bang for the buck, you can look at the 3.1 from the 1990 to 1992 F-body, or the 3.4L from the 1993 to 1995 F-body.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input! Exactly the type of answers I was hoping for!

So, if I pick up a 3.1 or 3.4 and I have to get an electric fuel pump..... Is there an "in the tank" fuel pump for the low pressure (what is it 13/14psi?) Or will I have to pick up an after market electric pump?

Does the same situation apply regarding the 3.1/3.4 with the flex plate? (I am going to use an auto trans)

If I can manage to find an engine/trans complete, should I expect any issues regarding any harness or controls that a newer trans may require?

Thanks again guys!

#4 ·
You can use an intank sending unit and pump, if you want, just get one from a later TBI truck. You may need to use a regulator to lower the fuel pressure for the carb though.

Yes, the flexplate info applies to the 3.1 and 3.4. The 660 changed from external balance go nuetral balance flywheel/flexplate in 1987, and stayed that way through the rest of production.

If you get a tranny newer than 1993 (I believe is the year it started) it will be a 4L60E, that will require a PCM to control. Any trans before that will be mechanical attached to the back of a 660.

Any reason you don't want use EFI?

#5 ·
Im not oppose to the efi, however I am not a wiring type of guy and really hoped to just put it back together the way it was based on the harness.

That and I figured the ecu for the truck would be different. I am trying to keep this build DIRT cheap and was hoping to not have to search the junk yards for a bunch of parts to get it in running condition again.

That said.... I would much rather not use a carburetor. I hate all the emissions crap that affected the carbs of that era and made them a pain to adjust worth a damn. So in that regard Id much rather have TBI or even EFI.

Problem with EFI is I have even less experience with that system! LOL

Any insight that may sway me? Is it an easier conversion that I realize?

#7 ·
TBI IS EFI.

It may seen daunting at first, but taking your time and thinking it through, one connection at a time, will help make any swap easier.

#9 ·
OK I have found it is an 83'.
Next question. Because this truck has the wiring harness for a "carbed" truck and has a vac. advance dist., does that make it any easy to drop in maybe a small block and go with a carb and vac advance dist?

I guess my biggest concern here is the ignition system. Id like to leave it alone!

If I were to drop a small block in it, with a early 80's distributor (v8 obviously) would the ecu know what to do with 8 cylinders or is there still more to it?

Is it just a matter of the dist. module telling the ecu how many times its firing?

Thanks for anything y'all have to offer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.