2.8 to 4.3 - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

2.8 to 4.3

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, admins move if needed.

Ok I have a 91 s10 with 2.8l 5 speed and was curious what it would take to swap a 4.3 from a 97 s10. I would have the complete truck to work with as a donor. Is it possible without having to buy extra parts or would it be easier to fix up a 3.4 I have with low compression on #5 cylinder?

And before it's said, no need for v8 swap comments as it is a daily driver and don't need to power of a v8. This is all on a Ramen noodle budget lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Re: 2.8 to 4.3

I'm not an expert; but know a little. If you have a complete donor vehicle, (motor, trans, computer, etc.). It would be a headache, but possible. A big mistake I see a lot of people making is; thinking the transmissions are the same. If I were doing it; I would go to a carb. setup. Just my personal opinion.... It would make the computer switch not necessary and is easier and cheaper to tune. Do not however, take the "bigger is better" approach to the carb. If you want good throttle response, a small 4 barrel is the way to go. Also, you will probably need the donor drive shaft to get it to fit.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 AM
overthinker extraordinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyotatuner View Post
Forgive me if this is the wrong section, admins move if needed.

Ok I have a 91 s10 with 2.8l 5 speed and was curious what it would take to swap a 4.3 from a 97 s10. I would have the complete truck to work with as a donor. Is it possible without having to buy extra parts or would it be easier to fix up a 3.4 I have with low compression on #5 cylinder?

And before it's said, no need for v8 swap comments as it is a daily driver and don't need to power of a v8. This is all on a Ramen noodle budget lol
What does this ramen noodle budget look like. Do you have to deal with emissions where you live?
send these guys an email. That might have your motor for you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remanufa...934acc&vxp=mtr

85 S10 Durango 2.8L extcab rwd 36k actual miles.
"true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" Paraphrased from Socrates

post #4 of 11 Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Ramen noodle budget is doing the swap or whatever work with maybe 150 a month that I can drop on the truck.

No I don't have to worry about emissions here.

If they have a 3.4 in decent shape then I will try them. But I could always just rebuild the one sitting in my truck now if I have to rebuild the one from them.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2015, 03:12 PM

The 2.8 to 4.3 is the same amount of Work as Swappin to a 350!!! Ive done both & after doin the last 4.3 Im like man a V8 has way more Power & if you keep a Vortec 5.7 , LT1 or say LSx 5.3 Stock The Fuel MPGs are Better too!!! Just My 2cents!!! Go Fuel Injected V8!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-12-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

I'm not looking to do v8 swap. I want to stay v6. Not looking for major power. Just want something more than the 2.8 and I currently have a 3.4 I can rebuild for it.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Is it a 4.3 or a 3.4? there's a vast difference there.

Yukon: The daily driver
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

I have a 3.4 but was considering a 4.3 from a 97 s10 as i could get the whole truck as a donor for cheap. Truck was totaled but still runs and drives. I would love to have another 4.3 but its easier to rebuild the 3.4 than it is to swap the 4.3

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Awww..you ain't got shit!

ON the work end of it since it is a 91, I have to disagree with warriorcustoms. Shouldn't be difficult to swap in that since the 91 was designed to accommodate a 4.3 stock after changing the firewall in 88 1/2 when the 4.3 became available. Course you will have to swap in all the brains to make it work and wiring. The biggest stumbling block would be the gauges and making that work since the older trucks use a different technology for speed sense etc and you need the speed sensor for sure. Use a carb? No worries about any of that gauge stuff.

But as far as installing it? Should be drop in on a 91. As long as you use a radiator from the 4.3, or a 4 core 2.8 you should be fine. That's minor mods. The other stuff is BOLT ON since the frames are basically the same. Compared to a V8 that saves you a lot of trouble. No hacking up the body, no mods to firewall, no major mods to the cooling system, no exhaust clearance issues either. Now if the truck was 87 or older it would be a LOT more work since the firewall isn't designed for that engine.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1984 xcab s-10 3.4L GM crate engine 91 S10 TBI swap w bored intake, Edelbrock headers. 2" Rough Country Lift. Custom exhaust, shift kit, e-fan.

EFI swap https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...e-help-513616/

My build thread (3.4L)https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...stions-427168/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I had to cut my nut in half .
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2015, 07:57 PM

Just because the chassis may have been made ion a year when the 4.3 was also available does not mean that it will be less work than a SBC swap. ALL of the same components will need to be changed that would also need to be changed for a SBC swap.

The difference in the firewall is negligible, using a hammer for a few minutes in a couple areas takes care of the firewall clearance issues of the early firewall. Most notable, the lip at the top of the trans tunnel and inverting the corner on the passenger side at where the trans tunnel opening transitions to the floor seam, if stock manifold are being used. Takes all of about 10 to 15 minutes, if that's "a lot more work", then a 4.3 swap where a 2.8 used to reside is that times 100.

Yukon: The daily driver
Tha toy: 1973 Datsun 240z 12.71 @115
Tha other Toy: 1923 T-Bucket
Another Toy: 1987 Buick Skyhawk
Typhony Old set-up: 1985 GMC Jimmy. 3.2L Turbocharged/Intercooled hybrid. 13.873 @ 99.08 Currently being reconstructed.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space."
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Awww..you ain't got shit!

I still stand behind what I said. It isn't that much work compared to a V8. True you have to "change" some components but It's all bolt on. Putting a V8 in an S10 represents a whole extra set of challenges versus a 4.3 with the cooling system clearances issues. You're not gonna have to hack the radiator support or move the condensor or radiator and figure out fans etc. None of that is a problem with the 4.3 since that stuff will "bolt in"

I smashed in that stupid lip on my truck even though I went 3.4. It helps with clearance and worthwhile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1984 xcab s-10 3.4L GM crate engine 91 S10 TBI swap w bored intake, Edelbrock headers. 2" Rough Country Lift. Custom exhaust, shift kit, e-fan.

EFI swap https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...e-help-513616/

My build thread (3.4L)https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/...stions-427168/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I had to cut my nut in half .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page