1985 2.8 V6 s10 Problems - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

1985 2.8 V6 s10 Problems

I have a 85' 2.8 6 Cylinder Automatic S10 I've been working on for over 6 months. I bought the truck and everything ran fine. From time to time it would spit and sputter, but I could rev it up and it would return to normal. It's always had a problem with a cold start, but I've found that normal on these old trucks.

Anyways, decided it was time for a tune up. Bought a new Distributor Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Plug Wires, replaced old cracked Vacuum lines. None of this seemed to fix the problem with the truck and it eventually got worse.

Problem eventually got so bad the truck would stall when accelarating or under load. It would basically die 10-15 times during a 30 minute trip down the road. Figured it was time for some more tuneups so I bought a new distributor, installed it (made sure the #1 piston was at TDC and lined up my rotor with it to stay in time)then, pulled the old Rochester carb off it and replaced it with a (2014 rebuilt) Rochester carb (same model on truck), then replaced Fuel Pump, a few old fuel lines, valve cover gaskets and the ignition coil.

But, here's the problem now, I'm getting plenty of gas at the fuel line at the back of the carb. But, for some reason that's as far as it's getting. I can hit the accelerator on the side of the carb and no gas is making it inside the carb itself. I can hit the accelerator 15 times and maybe 1 of those times I can see gas spray into bowl. It's like the gas is stuck at the filter (it's inside the carb just where the fuel line connects) which i've checked and is in good shape. I bought and replaced the fuel filter to even check to make sure it was in adequate shape.

I can take starting fluid and spray inside the carb and the truck will start and run until it burns up the starting fluid.

Someome please have some information they can share! I've worked on this thing til I'm getting aggravated with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Boozebag

Re: 1985 2.8 V6 s10 Problems

It sounds like your carb inlet needle valve is sticking shut not allowing fuel to enter the fuel bowl. Try tapping on the carb at the end where the fuel inlet is...
I hope you didn't spend big $$ on this carb. If you look around, you will see how many people have converted to a Weber with amazing results. Not super cheap, but crazy difference in performance and overall drivability.

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It sounds like your carb inlet needle valve is sticking shut not allowing fuel to enter the fuel bowl. Try tapping on the carb at the end where the fuel inlet is...
I hope you didn't spend big $$ on this carb. If you look around, you will see how many people have converted to a Weber with amazing results. Not super cheap, but crazy difference in performance and overall drivability.
That would be the inlet that connects to the backside of the carb and houses the Fuel Filter, correct? I took a wrench and tapped on the top side near the float bowl (hoping to jar a clog loose) but didn't think to tap on the side where the inlet connects to to the carb. But, as mentioned, it's as if gas isn't flowing into the carb and literally stops at the fuel filter (which upon inspection was in good shape and soaked with gas).

And as far as a weber goes, I just don't have the money to invest in a 400$ carb. Truck was running (atleast good enough to take the down the road), did some mainteneace, then it sit for a few weeks, now it won't allow gas in carb. Something just doesn't add up.

If the tapping trick works, I'll just invest in a Rebuild kit (20$) and a pair of new floats (25$) and have someone reuild the old Rochester. I'll come out a lot cheaper going that route. ANy other simple tricks or ideas I can try to get an idea of what is going on? I know it has to be in the carb itself as fuel pressure is good, fuel is making it to the carb, but it stops there!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Maybe later.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tytotheler92

As one of those people who said they didn't have $400 to invest in a carb...I didn't...but I made it work and it was totally worth it.

Anyways, sounds like the needle or float is stuck, like Max said. Max is the guy to ask about these engines.

Those Rochesters are JUNK and mixture is based on the assumption that you have the correct amount of vac at the time. They're ridiculous. And most refurbs are old now. I put the weber on mine and its about as close as you could ever get to fuel injection. It's wonderful.

Also, you've timed it, right?

I've had wayyy to many of these trucks. (Currently...on number 7)

1988 S-15 - 5.5/6 drop

1985 S10 Blazer 4WD

1998 Blazer ZR2 5 Speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
3 doors for 1 and a half whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmcgover View Post
He only bought one wheel. So every picture we see is going to be a pic where either the rear or front is conveniently out of frame.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Boozebag

I found several used Webers at upulls for about $25 each. Usually found on older BMWs, Fiats etc. EBay is also full of them.
The adapter kit is available new from these guys:
http://www.allcarbs.com/
If you call them and tell them you have the carb, the whole adapter kit is about $75 ( I think)
I have used Webers sitting on the shelf for many years and they usually work first time off... They are designed so well, they usually don't need any special attention.
Skrewing with an old Rochester will be a frustrating endeavor. Don't believe me?? Tell your story after you try saving the $$ and get the POS to work properly.
Spend the $50 to $75 and see if it improves your situation.

And as usual, how do I know this??

Oh, and TYTO ^^ did the swap. Ask him how much better his rig runs. He was amazed.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, and I know it can be expensive. A sacrifice buck spent in the right direction will save a ton of future grief.
Hmmm, almost sounds like Confucius, yes?

S10 addiction:
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Maybe later.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tytotheler92

The weber makes the first generation 2.8 a useable and appropriate engine for these trucks.

According to the gauge which I don't trust whateversoever, I also have 0 PSI idle oil pressure. No knocks, no noise. Durable little buggers they are regardless.

I've had wayyy to many of these trucks. (Currently...on number 7)

1988 S-15 - 5.5/6 drop

1985 S10 Blazer 4WD

1998 Blazer ZR2 5 Speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
3 doors for 1 and a half whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmcgover View Post
He only bought one wheel. So every picture we see is going to be a pic where either the rear or front is conveniently out of frame.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Boozebag

I had the same OP issue. Nothing at idle. I suggest a new sending unit. I have replaced 3 on the Redneck rig, the third is working correctly.

S10 addiction:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page