New ecm, crank, no start - S-10 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By manbearpig

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

New ecm, crank, no start

So I got a new ecm that comes programmed to the vin number of the truck. I put it in and did the pass lock relearn, even though I don’t think my 96 has it. I don’t see any sort of security light on my gauge cluster. Am I supposed to see one? Is there one there? It’s a 96 ls 2wd 2.2l. I did the sequence anyway. I have spark and fuel. I hear the pump prime when I first turn the key on...... cranks but never even sounds like it wants to fire. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: New ecm, crank, no start

I'd suggest contacting the ECM provider, IF it started prior to replacing the ECM.
If it didn't start before, you likely have another issue.
Have you tested the fuel pressure? I know on some Tutu's in that era they didn't provide a schrader valve on the engine's fuel supply line. If that is the case you'll need to test it at the front of the fuel filter with an inline adapter.
Could try a SMALL shot of starting fluid to see if it's fuel or ignition. Have you looked at the plugs?

I believe S-10's got the Passlock system when they did the major wiring change in 98.

Welcome o the forum.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 AM
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin

Garage

Welcome

I agree with oldeerslayer, see if it fires with a quick shot of starting fluid. A 96 should not have the passlock system iirc. Has any other work been done to the truck since the original ECM came out of it? Why did you replace the ECM? Did it run prior to the ECM replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
Tutu's

14 years Professional Automotive Repair Tech. If you attempted to fix it, it will now cost you more for me to fix

My DIY Guide to OBD2 Scanners

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein
"Ignorance is never a valid excuse" - Me

post #4 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

It just died while driving. Was what the guy said I got it from.....this was the previous day. So I checked for spark and fuel, had/has both. And I heard these were known for the ecu going out. So I replaced it. SO it’s very likely that it’s another issue. Especially since I just replaced the ecu. Lol. I do see a schrader valve that’s labeled “for testing”. When the key is turned on, i do hear the pump prime and fuel flow into the rails.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Another thing to note, I say it has fuel cuz the plugs are wet with fuel when I check them immediately after cranking. And I checked positively for spark. But it never fires. Not even a sputter. Which I don’t understand. If there is spark and fuel, I would think there would be SOME sort of ignition. I did spray starting fluid where the (egr?) hose goes into the intake. And nothing.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

A 2.2 that died when driving,and has spark&fuel? The timing chain tensioner failed. It jumped internal time. I’ve purchased four 2.2 S10’s that way already...funny thing is 3 of those where diagnosed as ECM by the previous owner..OR he overheated it,and lifted/warped the head,and it doesn’t have compression...I’ve bought around a dozen that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
I turned mine into an Oldsmobile, bitches love Oldsmobiles.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Really?? Well I guess I don’t feel TOO dumb then. Lol. Well that’s great news if that’s the issue. That’s exactly what I did. The guy was fed up with it. I figured, based on what he was saying, that I could fix it. So I bought for 300$. So......about this timing chain tensioner, anything I need to know?or tips I can give me? Thank you!!!!! I sure hope that’s it. It pretty much HAS to be. With spark and fuel....
post #8 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

And the motor doesn’t show any signs of being overheated
post #9 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage

time to do a compression test. Everything BravadaX said will show up in a compression test... I've seen those same issues many times too

14 years Professional Automotive Repair Tech. If you attempted to fix it, it will now cost you more for me to fix

post #10 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM

A bad CKP sensor willalso cause a truck to die while driving and not re-start if it's new enough to have one. Daughters Cavalier did that.
post #11 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 PM
It's mostly BS

He's getting spark so CKP is probably OK. I'd do compression first.

2001 S10 2.2 5sp ext cab
Don't hit and run...let us know how you fixed it!
post #12 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage

For the CKP sensor, if you watch the tachometer (if it has one) while cranking, it'll still show the engines speed even if it won't start. So any movement in the tach would indicate a good crank sensor. If it doesn't have a tach, RPM's as well as the crank signal itself should be viewable in the live data stream on a scan tool. Yet another way to check it would be to measure the CKP output voltage with a multimeter. It produces an AC voltage, you're looking for about 200+ millivolts with it cranking. That said, if there is spark then ECM is getting a signal from the CKP sensor. On these engines, bad CKP sensor = no spark

Last edited by thebadwrench; 04-15-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add detail
post #13 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

Yeah,the first one I bought like that was a Ď00 model VIN 5 truck. Guy threw all kinds of parts at it,and then came to the conclusion it needed an ECM,then sold it to me off of Craigslist. It had spark,fuel,crank signal monitor from a scan tool,and compression...2 of the cylinders where lower then the other two,..like 110,70,110,70..or something like that. Your compression,and which cylinders are effected is going to depend on how many teeth off,and if any internal damage occurred.

I pulled the cover,and it was obvious after that. The crank was at TDC,and the camshaft was 3 teeth off...not to mention the chain was loose,and the tensioner fell out when I took the cover off..with the notch in the crank timing sprocket pointing up,I removed the chain,and backed the camshaft sprocket up to correctly align it to the mark on the camshaft sprocket,and replaced the tensioner with a $10 autozone part..put the cover,and snout back on with some RTV,and cranked the truck..it fired right up,and ran perfect,so I took it back apart,and replaced the oil orafice,timing sprockets,chain,timing cover gasket,and front seal with GM parts.hat engine has been in 3 different trucks since then.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I guess my first reply didn’t post. Thank you! I hope to god you are right! I’ve started tearing into it. I’ve got everything off the front and I’m gently prying on the cover. It looks like I have to drop the front of the oil pan??
post #15 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afurlong View Post
So......about this timing chain tensioner, anything I need to know?or tips I can give me? Thank you!!!!!

Replace the entire timing set, and only use factory GM parts. gmpartsdirect.com is a good place to get them. Aftermarket parts are sure to give you a noisy headache for whatever reason.

Also, replace the oil galley plug. It's behind the cam gear.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afurlong View Post
I guess my first reply didnít post. Thank you! I hope to god you are right! Iíve started tearing into it. Iíve got everything off the front and Iím gently prying on the cover. It looks like I have to drop the front of the oil pan??
I believe you do have to loosen the bolts on the oil pan and lower the front edge some to get the timing cover off of that engine. You don't have to take the oil pan all the way off, but it has to drop a half inch or so. You might need lift the engine a bit with a cherry picker or engine support bar to get the clearance there.

If you can't light up the tires in the first three gears, you need more power.
If you can light up the tires in the first three gears, you need better tires.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

You use an external torx and remove the two studs from the bottom, don't have to drop the pan any.
Hoosier Rick and Racer-X like this.

post #18 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. Thank you. Now I’ll google “external torx”. Lol. Never heard of one
post #19 of 27 Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 PM
I'm super serial

Garage

Some of the older ones have just hex ends, but I think a '96 will have external torx. It's basically an inverted torx bit.

post #20 of 27 Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 AM
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

I’ve Rarely been able to get those out

Most of the time I’m doing the timing chain with the pan already removed on these engines,and the engine just sitting on it,but I’m pretty sure the torx section of the studs kinda snaps off when I try,lol. It’s been a while since I did one in the truck itself,at least a couple years....once I know I’ve got a good engine I usually snatch it,and reseal the entire engine,and replace the chain,sprockets,oil orafice,gasket,and front seal with some RTV gray on the bottom where it meets the pan.

Another word of advice,...replace the crank snout!! The part the pulley bolts to. They get groove from the original front seal wearing the surface,and don’t seal up 100%. you’ll get a tiny dribble,or it’ll be moist by the time you do the next oil change.

I was buying them from Rock Auto. Iirc they’re like $18 each? I was buying 2-3 at a time until I found genuine GM ones on eBay for $15each,and bought them all. I think I have 4 or 5 in stock for the next trucks...I tend to do that a lot with S-series parts..especially timing parts since the dealership wants over $100 for just the chain. I’ve paid as low as $10 for a genuine chain on eBay in the GM box..I had a stack of NOS leather wrapped steering wheels I got for $30 each,but burnt through them 2 trucks ago...have a box full of GM throw out bearings..speaker grilles..whatever I use a lot of fixing these little ****boxes up.
post #21 of 27 Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 AM
I'm super serial

Garage

I can usually get them out with a torch, but yea, they're kind of a pain with all of the silicone that gets into the threads when resealing.

post #22 of 27 Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Well guys. Sad day. That’s not it. Timing chain, tensioner all look good marks are lined up. I’m gonna replace the timing set anyway while I’m here. But still don’t know why I have zero ignition. 😟
post #23 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 PM

Could be timing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #24 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 PM

did I miss something dont see where you did a compression check
post #25 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 AM

If you are sure on the timing. I don't go by any Mark's. I find tdc on no.1 by compression check. If you are off one at all it won't fire. Before that I changed just about every sensor, ignition coil, wires,etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #26 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the studs out (channel locks) and the timing set is in perfect shape. Marks lined up etc. so that’s not the problem 😟. Any ideas?
post #27 of 27 Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Sorry. I didn’t see these posts. No, I haven’t done a Compression check. Sounds like that’s what is suggested? If I have low compression on one or two cylinders, that would keep it from firing at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page